Recruiting

GreenGang45

6 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I am curious why we cant land a big time RB.  We run a lot and we have a lot of history with great running backs.  We don't have a qb who can throw a forward pass and they have to know they will get a ton of touches.   What gives?

Maybe they're looking at our current depth and think they won't see the field.

Or maybe our staff is out golfing and forgot.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2022 at 8:33 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

We have lost recruiting battles to Marshall, Charlotte, Kansas State and East Carolina all in the last month. Those are battles we should be winning.

Add Texas Tech, La Tech, WKU, UTSA and Colorado State on this list as of today. But hey we did land another transfer with 0 FBS offers.

This Is Fine GIF

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Great content"

Cooley was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

I have no idea what North Texas recruiting is like behind the scenes.  I do know that SMU has OFFERED the following underclassmen at SOC:

Kelvion Riggins, 6-1, 200 Fr. LB

Jamyri Cauley, 6-3, 195 So. WR

Randy Reese, 5-10, 180 Jr. WR 

Billy Walton, 6-3. 230 Jr. Edge

Jayvon Thomas, 6-0, 180 Jr. CB

Malik "Manny" Mohammad, Jr. 6-0, 175 CB

Brandon Jones, 6-1, 190 So. LB

Missed out on:

Kevin Henry-Jennings, 6-1, 180 Senior QB - SMU signee

Kyron Chambers, 6-1, 195 Senior CB - TCU signee

Others to watch:

Brione Ramsey-Brooks, Jr. 6-5, 370 OG

Abdul Mohammad, Jr. 5-10, 180 DB 

I do know that UNT is interested in  

Dylan Brown-Turner, 6-2. 205 Jr. LB (Knee injury cost him all but 2 games)

15-1 Division II State Champions (2021) - Just sayin

• Upvote 4

On 1/16/2022 at 3:59 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

No doubt. Wren dropped ball by not firing when it was 1-6. Then for the staff to absolutely shit the bed in recruiting this off season hasn’t helped. While our peers are all on a completely different level right now and not even close. 

That was never gonna happen...

Whether it works out or not, our late to the game recruiting strategy seems to be intentional based on the early signing day press conference and @Brett Vito’s questions.

“It’s a little different this year,” Littrell said. “The past few years we’ve pretty much been done at this point. But with the landscape and the way it is, you want to have enough scholarships left over in order to make sure we find the best players.

“There’s going to be a ton of great players out there in January leading into February signing day. I think you can get some steals.”

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I did. It’s better than most of our transfers. But I am referring to offer list once became a portal. Another recruiting win… where we beat no one..

I am usually on board with that approach but I think it is a strong sign he can contribute since he earned D1 playing time as a true freshman. 

• Upvote 6

On 1/14/2022 at 7:39 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No. People are complaining because as it sits this class is awful. Pair that with having 0 recruiting momentum. 

Meanwhile, our conference rivals are doing things like La Tech flipping a 4 star running back from USC... and that was after finishing last in the west. Maybe recruits really aren't picking up what Littrell is putting down anymore.

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Whether it works out or not, our late to the game recruiting strategy seems to be intentional based on the early signing day press conference and @Brett Vito’s questions.

“It’s a little different this year,” Littrell said. “The past few years we’ve pretty much been done at this point. But with the landscape and the way it is, you want to have enough scholarships left over in order to make sure we find the best players.

“There’s going to be a ton of great players out there in January leading into February signing day. I think you can get some steals.”

So our coaching staff is openly stating they're waiting on the hyenas to feed so they can pick through the scraps? The current results suggest just that. This is just confirmation. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

So our coaching staff is openly stating they're waiting on the hyenas to feed so they can pick through the scraps? The current results suggest just that. This is just confirmation. 

I think it is more along the lines of late qualifiers and quality transfers becoming available after most have run out of scholarships. Think how many transfer during or after spring practice when they decide they don’t like their place on the depth chart.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Eye Roll 2

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No.   I honestly don't think he believed he would still be here at this point in the game, and so his philosophy now has to be wait-for-late-qualifiers, because he & his staff were coaching for their lives from Sunday, October 24th on.  Nothing else was worth their time.   Can't blame the guy.  I'd do the same thing if my coaching life was on the line.   

Poor Walerius.  His hands were tied with coaches who wouldn't recruit for him for half a season or more.   Now he's being tasked to put together a great class at the last minute.  At least we're seeing stuff like this now (Littrell, himself, actually talking to recruits):

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

A bad coach that signs a bunch of "highly ranked" classes, then plays all the super seniors from his worst classes instead, and now can't recruit?

Maybe kids see what's going on. They don't want to come here because they'll have to sit behind John Smith from podunk, Arkansas that is undersized, slow, had no other offers, but is a real hard worker?

I'm not saying these kids can't succeed, nor am I saying they're bad for our program, or that anything should be given to anyone, but having multiple 3 star athletes sitting behind someone who athletically couldn't hold a candle to them has got to be a deterrent at this point.

What's the point in coming here? 

We still don't have a QB coach, and Littrell himself is a lame duck. They know he's gone after this year if he doesn't produce. Why take a chance on a coach that's on life support?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 4

25 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

A bad coach that signs a bunch of "highly ranked" classes, then plays all the super seniors from his worst classes instead, and now can't recruit?

Maybe kids see what's going on. They don't want to come here because they'll have to sit behind John Smith from podunk, Arkansas that is undersized, slow, had no other offers, but is a real hard worker?

I'm not saying these kids can't succeed, nor am I saying they're bad for our program, or that anything should be given to anyone, but having multiple 3 star athletes sitting behind someone who athletically couldn't hold a candle to them has got to be a deterrent at this point.

What's the point in coming here? 

We still don't have a QB coach, and Littrell himself is a lame duck. They know he's gone after this year if he doesn't produce. Why take a chance on a coach that's on life support?

Where  are getting this crap? We probably played one of the youngest teams in D1. What are we loosing like 4 kids to graduation? Do a little research and look at the roster. His contracts goes through 2023, that is not lame duck.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

21 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

You mean players like Dion Novil, Deandre Torrey, and Tyreke Davis? Get real man. You’re talking nonsense.

Edit: Oh now I get it, you are talking about Pirtle who yes, is a hard worker and a super senior but also one of our best pass catchers and a reason for many game extending first downs this (and other seasons). He was also a walk-on just like Roderick Burns. He earned his way every step. Roberts looks like he is going to be a beast but we needed Pirtle’s experience and leadership many times this season.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2