Recruiting

GreenGang45

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For real?

Seth Littrell is "one of the best offensive minds in college football", yet wouldn't you agree we need to identify and hire the best QBs coach we possibly can, and not a buddy/in-law of his?   

I agree we need the best quarterbacks coach we can get who Littrell trusts. Bennett trusts Passwaters and Passwaters now has a season under his belt as a bona fide FBS Dline coach.

Maybe a 2nd year DLine coach with a 2nd team all-CUSA player and Pro Football Focus All-TrueFreshman team member under his belt who the DC trusts will be worth a chance in your book.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Before the Murphy twins, there was Scott Blank and Corbin Epps-Montgomery. Both played the 97-98 season. 

Corbin Epps?  He’s from my hometown. He was a great RB!  Didn’t realize he attended North Texas and was moved to DE.  Dude was a beast. I met him when I was 10, or so.  Thanks for that reference. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Curious...  When do you think Awasom played?

I was making reference to two great players who played at the same time........like the Murphy Twins.  Awasome played 2001 to 2004.  AND I thought he was overrated. AND I hated how the announcer always exaggerated his name, as if he was some cheesy wrestler at the North Side coliseum. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Corbin Epps?  He’s from my hometown. He was a great RB!  Didn’t realize he attended North Texas and was moved to DE.  Dude was a beast. I met him when I was 10, or so.  Thanks for that reference. 

He was originally from Fort Worth. I think he played RB in High School down in the South Texas area. Then he went to NM where he played in the DL. He transferred here where he was put at DE.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I swear, I've seen more back-pats on gmg.com for Passwaters than I have for Novil, Colvin, Jackson & Brown combined.   Pretty sure I've even seen someone back-pat him for his position group "not going backwards".  That's kinda like being handed the keys to a Ferrari, driving it around at the speed limit, and getting kudos for not wrecking it.  You didn't really do anything with it.
Personnel-wise, this group was the 2nd most talented of the entire team behind the RBs.  I think we can all agree there, right?
Plus, I'd be willing to bet he was really leaning on Phil to help him coach these dudes... because he, himself, is woefully underqualified for his job.  His resume says that, not me:
Coaching History
2021-present: North Texas – Defensive Line
2020: Hawai’i – Quality Control, Offense
2017-19: New Mexico State – Graduate Assistant
2016: New Mexico Highlands – Tight Ends
2016: Point Loma High School – Offensive Line
2013-15: Onate High School – Offensive Line
2012: Gadsden High School – Assistant Coach  

He had previously never even coached on the defensive side of the ball prior to his job here.
It's like taking a young System Engineer, and just moving into a Sales VP role.  If he succeeds, he probably has a very good mentor...
If we want to give kudos to DL coaching, they should go to Bennett, IMO.

Now, I'm not saying Passwaters won't develop into a good DL coach.  He probably has the aptitude to do so.   But I think coach Yellock or coach Mathies would have helped this group develop more than Passwaters this past season.

Flame away
dragon-ball-z-dbz.gif

I agree 1000% . He just managed them and barely did that. When the twins would get a penalty I never seen him dig into them he just stood there with his arms crossed. I think Bennett did a good job of making a DLine that has talent play very hard to make his son in law look good. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I agree we need the best quarterbacks coach we can get who Littrell trusts. Bennett trusts Passwaters and Passwaters now has a season under his belt as a bona fide FBS Dline coach.

Maybe a 2nd year DLine coach with a 2nd team all-CUSA player and Pro Football Focus All-TrueFreshman team member under his belt who the DC trusts will be worth a chance in your book.

Yes, in-fact, it does.

Heck, if it means we can keep Bennett as long as Littrell is here (because that is looking to be longer & longer), I'd go ahead and be cool with firing coach Mayes to hire Sam Bennett, who's about to be unemployed.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

He needs to reestablish people's belief in this.

I still believe he's a brilliant offensive mind.   Look at what he was able to do to the offense, mid-season, to get it cranking enough to win games without steady QB play.   He's a running game coach.  That's why his version of the Air Raid (with more running options) was such a killer offense at Indiana & UNC before coming here.

As a Head Coach...?   It doesn't seem like he can leads/inspire his team at that level.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I was making reference to two great players who played at the same time........like the Murphy Twins.  Awasome played 2001 to 2004.  AND I thought he was overrated. AND I hated how the announcer always exaggerated his name, as if he was some cheesy wrestler at the North Side coliseum. 

Ah.   Gotcha.
I'll see your Blank/Epps and raise you a Bellazin/Sarge.

Awasom overrated?   Like, because he lined up next to Booger and that gave him an advantage... or like not a legit All-SBC talent?

10 hours ago, GreenGang45 said:

I agree 1000% . He just managed them and barely did that. When the twins would get a penalty I never seen him dig into them he just stood there with his arms crossed. I think Bennett did a good job of making a DLine that has talent play very hard to make his son in law look good. 

And are we even sure he was responsible for the DEs? I think we have seen some circumstantial evidence that it may have been Petrelli. So if not, then he coached only the two interior linemen, one of which was already an all-conference senior and the other starter a senior as well. 

So he brought him in and put him in a position to learn with limited responsibilities and set up to succeed.  In general that is ok I guess but we pay enough to our assistants to bring in experienced coaches, not trainees. 

I think this job was a wedding gift, a dowry. And like MGTexan, I agree that it may have been a package deal to get Bennett to take the DC job. So be it. But I don’t have to like it. It’s pure nepotism. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️ I am really glad Bennett is here and I will just drop it and leave it at that. (But still reserve the right to call him Coach Nepotism.)

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Mean Green on Twitter can try to be more proactive about supporting these pipelines.  Would like to see a massive network of TX HS coaches be connected to Denton.  Retweets/likes can go a long way.

Steven Greek is HC in Ferris, TX

I was thinking the same thing you just beat me to the post ha! 

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2022 at 11:01 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

Hopefully that bump from getting the AAC invite will kick in soon

Yes, 😂 when you are losing it doesn’t matter which conference you are in.  Bottom feeder programs in P5 still have to fight off G5 programs for recruits.   By the time we have an AAC schedule to show recruits Seth will be gone.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Yes, 😂 when you are losing it doesn’t matter which conference you are in.  Bottom feeder programs in P5 still have to fight off G5 programs for recruits.   By the time we have an AAC schedule to show recruits Seth will be gone.

The increase in tv revenue, coupled with the better TV deals/exposure/associations, in theory will level up our floor.

maybe?

• Upvote 2

I believe we are competitive in most if not all sports, including football ie this year’s UTSA game. We need to go from competitive to winning and winning consistently. We don’t have to win the conference every year but we need to be in the hunt. We are about to be in a really good conference and we have to step up our game. Just being in the AAC will help, more exposure, regional teams people know about, better competition and better athletes.

I give what I can and regularly but unfortunately we need a lot more money than I can ever give. In time with all of the above happening our fundraising efforts will increase but in the meantime if you know anyone with deep pockets send them Wren’s way. 

A day of reckoning in major college football is coming and we have successfully worked our way up the ladder. I now like the AAC’s Power 6 slogan. It is a numbers game and we have to produce. It is going to come down to either the top 80-96 programs and we need to be one of them. 

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!

• Upvote 5