Recruiting

GreenGang45

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Poor Walerius.  His hands were tied with coaches who wouldn't recruit for him for half a season or more.   Now he's being tasked to put together a great class at the last minute.  At least we're seeing stuff like this now (Littrell, himself, actually talking to recruits):

That's a bold assumption.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

A bad coach that signs a bunch of "highly ranked" classes, then plays all the super seniors from his worst classes instead, and now can't recruit?

Maybe kids see what's going on. They don't want to come here because they'll have to sit behind John Smith from podunk, Arkansas that is undersized, slow, had no other offers, but is a real hard worker?

I'm not saying these kids can't succeed, nor am I saying they're bad for our program, or that anything should be given to anyone, but having multiple 3 star athletes sitting behind someone who athletically couldn't hold a candle to them has got to be a deterrent at this point.

What's the point in coming here? 

We still don't have a QB coach, and Littrell himself is a lame duck. They know he's gone after this year if he doesn't produce. Why take a chance on a coach that's on life support?

So, our two deep on offense included 13 Freshmen or RS Freshmen, 7 Soph/RS Soph, 3 Jr., 2 Sr. and 1 Grad St.  

On Defense: 9 Freshmen, 5 Soph, 2 Jr, 4 Sr and 2 Gr

Not sure this holds water.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/north-texas/92660

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Did Brett get faked on ANOTHER fake recruit? 😭

Based on what I’ve seen, he does a Twitter search every now and then, retweets any offers, then if a kid commits, asks them to follow so he can DM. Rinse and repeat. I do find it hilarious that he does so little verifying that he can easily get fooled by a fake recruit from a video game. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

40 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Did Brett get faked on ANOTHER fake recruit? 😭

Sadly, I did on the "kid" out of Crenshaw HS.  My one excuse is that it was late last night and I saw the twitter feed in the sidebar along with the one from the JUCO DB we offered.🤦‍♂️

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

10 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

We still don't have a QB coach, and Littrell himself is a lame duck. They know he's gone after this year if he doesn't produce. Why take a chance on a coach that's on life support?

There are other things in the comment I could take issue with but the part I clipped here was 100% on point.  I am just hoping he pulls off a minor miracle and prove his detractors wrong (I prefer honest evaluators but you get the point). I don’t know how the finances are going to work out going forward in the AAC but Seth or the next Mean Green coach needs to produce big time.  This program has underachieved for the majority of the past 35 years.  People have been born, earned multiple post graduate degrees and became adjunct  professors at UNT during that time.  But we have yet to build a respectable football program when it comes to on the field success.   Recruits only have 5 years to make their mark, get their education and enjoy the experience. If my son were a talented football player I couldn’t honestly try to talk him in to signing with North Texas.  Because most likely he’s going to be playing in front of a half empty stadium for most home games for a coach that nobody will remember and not compete in a conference championship game.  Worse than that most likely division championship will be off the table by early November most years.

Yes it is a harsh  business coaching at this level but that is why they are paid well and have contracts.  He should have been fired after the new year.  The Bowl Game lost killed the minimal recruiting momentum he had.  I don’t understand why the state of the program today is acceptable to the leadership.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2022 at 8:13 PM, Cooley said:

I have no idea what North Texas recruiting is like behind the scenes.  I do know that SMU has OFFERED the following underclassmen at SOC:

Kelvion Riggins, 6-1, 200 Fr. LB

Jamyri Cauley, 6-3, 195 So. WR

Randy Reese, 5-10, 180 Jr. WR 

Billy Walton, 6-3. 230 Jr. Edge

Jayvon Thomas, 6-0, 180 Jr. CB

Malik "Manny" Mohammad, Jr. 6-0, 175 CB

Brandon Jones, 6-1, 190 So. LB

Missed out on:

Kevin Henry-Jennings, 6-1, 180 Senior QB - SMU signee

Kyron Chambers, 6-1, 195 Senior CB - TCU signee

Others to watch:

Brione Ramsey-Brooks, Jr. 6-5, 370 OG

Abdul Mohammad, Jr. 5-10, 180 DB 

I do know that UNT is interested in  

Dylan Brown-Turner, 6-2. 205 Jr. LB (Knee injury cost him all but 2 games)

15-1 Division II State Champions (2021) - Just sayin

Tulsa offers 4 more Golden Bears:

Taylor Starling, Jr. 6-0, 170 WR/DB

David “Davo” Spruiells, Jr 5-9, 165 DB

Jamarion Clark, Jr. 6-0, 160 DB

Keith Smith, Jr, 6-4, 275, DT

Kerry Williams II, So.  5-11, 165 DB

Dylan Brown-Turner picks up offer from K State

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

That's a bold assumption.

It's not bold, it's logical.  And it's supported by the 5-person class we signed during the Early Signing Day, when that date normally has just about the entire class signed.  It has been Littrell's MO since ESD was introduced.  Even going to the point that if he had a commit who didn't want to sign on that date, he told them to kick rocks (Gary Johnson).

On October 24th, North Texas was 1-6.  Seth Littrell is surely thinking he is going to be fired if he loses even 1 more game.   The rest of his staff probably feel that same heat.  Why on Earth would he allow his staff to go out and recruit 'as-usual'?    
The answer: He wouldn't/didn't. 

Instead, he had his staff focus on preparations/coaching the current team for each week's game.  No time to go out and visit high schools or watch new guys' tapes.    Just do the bare minimum to keep those guys we already have committed or interested on board (weekly calls to check in and such)... and that's mainly Walerius/Morris' job.
Because, after all, why look to the future when you're drowning now?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's not bold, it's logical.  And it's supported by the 5-person class we signed during the Early Signing Day, when that date normally has just about the entire class signed.  It has been Littrell's MO since ESD was introduced.  Even going to the point that if he had a commit who didn't want to sign on that date, he told them to kick rocks (Gary Johnson).

On October 24th, North Texas was 1-6.  Seth Littrell is surely thinking he is going to be fired if he loses even 1 more game.   The rest of his staff probably feel that same heat.  Why on Earth would he allow his staff to go out and recruit 'as-usual'?    

Instead, he had his staff focus on preparations/coaching the current team for each week's game.  No time to go out and visit high schools or watch new guys' tapes.    Just do the bare minimum to keep those guys we already have committed or interested on board (weekly calls to check in and such)... and that's mainly Walerius/Morris' job.

Transfer portal has changed recruiting and strategy for all schools. There will not be as many HS kids signed this cycle and that will be true for all schools. Try to keep up with change.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Transfer portal has changed recruiting and strategy for all schools. There will not be as many HS kids signed this cycle and that will be true for all schools. Try to keep up with change.

Bless your heart, you're trying so hard Wag Tag.   I applaud your fandom.   And if you really mean all of these fireman posts you're putting out there to try and make things seem like they're OK, you're obviously a better fan than me.  Hats off to you.
giphy.gif

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Bless your heart, you're trying so hard Wag Tag.   I applaud your fandom.   And if you really mean all of these fireman posts you're putting out there to try and make things seem like they're OK, you're obviously a better fan than me.  Hats off to you.
giphy.gif

Lol everybody knows Seth is gone if he doesn’t have a winning season next year. I my mind this would be a big reason to sign transfers that might be able to play in 2022 over HS prospects.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

Lol everybody knows Seth is gone if he doesn’t have a winning season next year. I my mind this would be a big reason to sign transfers that might be able to play in 2022 over HS prospects.

I think EVERYONE thought this very same thing in January 2021 as well...   and here we are.   So, no, I honestly don't know that anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think EVERYONE thought this very same thing in January 2021 as well...   and here we are.   So, no, I honestly don't know that anymore.

I was Seth fan going into the bowl game. Now I’m a wait and see fan. Obviously the players believe with so few entering the portal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Your comment at the end of the second paragraph "The answer: He wouldn't/didn't" is clearly an assumption.  Neither one of us know what was going on at that time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My biggest disappointment with recruiting is that we have basically given up on recruiting East Texas and many in the DFW area.  It appears that the thinking would be that Traylor would have E. TX locked up and smu was marketing that "Dallas' Team" approach, so we went elsewhere.  La Tech just locked up a 4-star RB from Newton that we never even offered.  We pulled Jeff Wilson out of tiny Elkhart and hit the Tyler area hard years ago and ended up with Laramie Lee and a few of his teammates.  There is too much talent in that area to not have a presence.  Same for DFW.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

My biggest disappointment with recruiting is that we have basically given up on recruiting East Texas and many in the DFW area.  It appears that the thinking would be that Traylor would have E. TX locked up and smu was marketing that "Dallas' Team" approach, so we went elsewhere.  La Tech just locked up a 4-star RB from Newton that we never even offered.  We pulled Jeff Wilson out of tiny Elkhart and hit the Tyler area hard years ago and ended up with Laramie Lee and a few of his teammates.  There is too much talent in that area to not have a presence.  Same for DFW.

If half the class is transfers you need to pick your HS battles. I would not waste time on HS quarterbacks would be an example.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Hopefully that bump from getting the AAC invite will kick in soon

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

You are not lying, but the problem I have is the type of kids we're getting out of the portal.  Going down to FCS Level kids when there are plenty of P5 talent in the portal, AND P5 level kids that would typically chose them over UNT are now available bc P5 are full.  Tons of talent available for the taking and we are just sitting on our backsides.  

• Upvote 3