UTA starting football up again (Petition)

meangreenfaninno

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

My sister goes to UTA and was in the marching band for three years. Every time she said she'd have to perform in the homecoming parade, I was like, homecoming for what!?

At least they have a homecoming parade. My guess is that we will never have one again.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Fry's first season at NT as 1973. The opening game of that season was vs UTA at Texas Stadium (which we lost 7-31). I can't remember when Texas Stadium opened, but we played a homecoming game there against Wichita State in 1971. Which we won 31-10. A guy that I went to High School with, Glynn Hatchtel (#30), was a starting linebacker for NT that year.

We were supposed to start the '71 season in Texas Stadium against BYU but it was not ready in time so we played at the Cotton Bowl. Our next home game was at Fouts against the mighty Zips of Akron (we lost). The third home game was finally at Texas Stadium against Louisville. This was billed to be the very first game ever played at Texas Stadium, even before the Cowboys had a chance to play there.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

We were supposed to start the '71 season in Texas Stadium against BYU but it was not ready in time so we played at the Cotton Bowl. Our next home game was at Fouts against the mighty Zips of Akron (we lost). The third home game was finally at Texas Stadium against Louisville. This was billed to be the very first game ever played at Texas Stadium, even before the Cowboys had a chance to play there.

Yes, NT was supposed to open Texas Stadium with football vs BYU.  However the construction delay actually allowed Texas Southern to open Texas Stadium on October 15, 1971 beating Bishop College (video below).  Our first game there was the next day Oct 16 featuring an 0-3 NT team beating a Lee Corso coached Louisville team 20-17.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Additional NT trivia from Texas Stadium history:

“Hey kid, catch!”

A particularly memorable commercial for Coca-Cola, starring North Texas and NFL Hall of Fame Joe Greene, was filmed here in 1979. The former Pittsburgh Steelers defensive tackle accepts a Coke from 8-year-old Tommy Okon then tosses his jersey to the kid. The famous ramp on which the ad was filmed was moved to the Dallas Cowboys’ new stadium in Arlington.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreen11 said:

What I don’t get is why the UT system forced UTA to shut down but let UTSA and UTEP and other system schools keep football?

I don't think the UT system made that decision for UTA. It's always been my understanding that UTA pulled the plug on football.

• Upvote 3

On 1/22/2022 at 10:42 PM, wardly said:

I don't think the UT system made that decision for UTA. It's always been my understanding that UTA pulled the plug on football.

That’s correct. The local leadership had decided to go all in on football for several years and built Maverick Stadium as part of that. But the students never really supported football and the administration say “We tried and they didn’t want it.” Even today, this petition only had support of a tiny fraction on actual students.

14 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

That’s correct. The local leadership had decided to go all in on football for several years and built Maverick Stadium as part of that. But the students never really supported football and the administration say “We tried and they didn’t want it.” Even today, this petition only had support of a tiny fraction on actual students.

At that point in time UTA was basically a commuter school like we were in the 60's and 70's.

• Upvote 2