Western Kentucky (1/15/22)

CMJ

11 minutes ago, drex said:

THERE SHOULD BE A LOT OF PRESSURE ON THE AD AND HIS ADMINISTRATION TO GET A DECENT CROWD FOR THIS TEAM...THEY DESERVE BETTER THAN A THOUSAND FANS PER GAME.  ATTENDANCE CAN BE JUMPSTARTED, BUT THEY NEED TO WORK AT IT TO GET THERE...I KNOW, I'VE DONE IT.

The AD has his hands full and his time spent just trying to correct the Littrell mess while the tremendous efforts and accomplishments of this BB team and coaches goes practically unnoticed. 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

They need to bring back the Pit Crew name. The pictures on the Mean Green Maniacs Twitter page (at least the ones with more than 5 people in them) are all from the Pit Crew era. 

I have a slight feeling Oregon has something to do with the name change. Their student section is named “Pit Crew” 

Thats my conspiracy though 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

They need to bring back the Pit Crew name. The pictures on the Mean Green Maniacs Twitter page (at least the ones with more than 5 people in them) are all from the Pit Crew era. 

The Pit Crew sounds so much better than Mean Green Maniacs. One sounds strong, assertive and supportive. The other sounds wimpy and demeaning and in need of professional help. 

DON’T GO AND CHANGE A GOOD THING JUST TO PUT YOUR FOOTPRINT ON SOMETHING. 

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I have a slight feeling Oregon has something to do with the name change. Their student section is named “Pit Crew” 

We play in a building called the Super Pit. 

Pit crew is also used in Auto racing. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2

I agree. Then again, did the Pit Crew have coordinated pre-game dances and sing-a-longs?  That’s why you all were just a “crew” and not maniacs. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

We play in a building called the Super Pit. 

That is true, but Oregon's student section was called Pit Crew before ours took that moniker.

Of course, it doesn't really matter.  Multiple stadiums are called Death Valley, not sure why multiple student sections couldn't call themselves Pit Crew.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That’s news to me. But we had about 10 years of work into OUR Pit Crew that absolutely no one associated with Oregon. It was decimated by the era before this current one. It should be resurrected. It was too good to start from scratch with a new name. Many of the leaders that rolled through the Pit Crew are still active on this forum. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I have a slight feeling that Oregon has no idea what our student section is called. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

Same with the Mean Green Club.   History lost.

• Upvote 3

According to the UNT traditions web site it’s still called the Pit Crew. 

https://traditions.unt.edu/tradition/traditions-spirit#pit-crew

Pit Crew

The Pit Crew is the official student section for Mean Green basketball in the UNT Coliseum, known as the "Super Pit." The Mean Green students continue the tradition of earlier generations of fans who rowdily cheered on the team when games were in the old Men's Gym, or "Snake Pit," making UNT an intimidating place to play.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I’m just throwing stuff out, not anything to confirm what I’m saying, but I found it weird they changed it.

Maybe it was a Johnny Jones/Benford thing and Mac wanted something to change?

Not sure, but I couldn’t give a crap about what the name is, as long as we are getting good attendance it doesn’t matter.

Bring your friends, their friends, etc. The Charlotte game is on ESPNU (semi national TV) so it needs to look full!!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CMJ said:

That is true, but Oregon's student section was called Pit Crew before ours took that moniker.

Of course, it doesn't really matter.  Multiple stadiums are called Death Valley, not sure why multiple student sections couldn't call themselves Pit Crew.

We need to be unique, maybe we get a bunch of students organized, get them high before every game and call it the "Pot Crew"

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Great win but if only we hadn’t lost to Buffalo amirite?

While that one still stings a bit, I’m probably most haunted by the Miami loss.  However, this is a day to celebrate our win over WKU.  

Great win on the road.  Controlled the game from start to finish really.  Just an all around excellent team effort.  Our best games are still ahead of us and that should make the rest of the conference nervous. 

• Upvote 3

Very, very good win. The more I see the defensive power of JJ and the all around basketball skills and IQ of Bell, I can't help but be a little sad thinking how much this team is going to miss them next year.

Just means we have to make it a memorable season for those 2 (and of course our other seniors).

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, keith said:

While that one still stings a bit, I’m probably most haunted by the Miami loss.  However, this is a day to celebrate our win over WKU.  

Great win on the road.  Controlled the game from start to finish really.  Just an all around excellent team effort.  Our best games are still ahead of us and that should make the rest of the conference nervous. 

Before the UAB loss that was our only loss at home and it just hurt since we had the lead and then weeks after they were playing extremely poorly. I don’t like losing at home, especially by single digits. I know they happen but that one just didn’t sit right after having the lead and letting it slip. 

we have learned to close out games since so something positive has happens. UAB was just tough. 

• Upvote 2

Forget the pit crew...we need to retain McCasland, he is awesome and a genus, he is the future of the team. We keep winning there will be good attendance...you can’t expect people to get excited about a losing program for last 20 years; it takes time, thank god we have a president that understand how important athletics is at UNT, 40,000 students, hell yes! If Grant leaves, we hire his equivalent; the AD knows what he’s doing, I trust we will succeed either way.

This is a very solid team, we will meet or exceed last years success!  Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

3 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Very, very good win. The more I see the defensive power of JJ and the all around basketball skills and IQ of Bell, I can't help but be a little sad thinking how much this team is going to miss them next year.

Just means we have to make it a memorable season for those 2 (and of course our other seniors).

Yeah we just lose them, Jamiah, and Wright. Assuming McBride opts to come back. 

Perry, McBride, Jones, Scott, and Abou is a solid starting line up. Just need a bench…

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT78 said:

Forget the pit crew...we need to retain McCasland, he is awesome and a genus, he is the future of the team. We keep winning there will be good attendance...you can’t expect people to get excited about a losing program for last 20 years; it takes time, thank god we have a president that understand how important athletics is at UNT, 40,000 students, hell yes! If Grant leaves, we hire his equivalent; the AD knows what he’s doing, I trust we will succeed either way.

This is a very solid team, we will meet or exceed last years success!  Go Mean Green!

I agree although I pray Grant stays…. Then I pray harder if he leaves he doesn’t take Jones, Scott, and Abou with him….

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1