UTSA 2021 Season in Review

Coach Andy Mac

WAY TOO EARLY 2022 OUTLOOK

Expecting 12-win seasons and conference championships isn’t fair to a program that is still in relative infancy. The Roadrunners should be a contender in C-USA in 2022, but they won’t be the overwhelming favorite unless they can replace McCormick on offense and Hicks on defense. 

The out-of-conference schedule will test Traylor’s program with a season-opener against Houston followed two weeks later with a trip to Austin to face the Longhorns. C-USA isn’t a top-tier conference, so that means the Roadrunners can win their division with another MVP season from Harris. Winning a championship is hard. Remaining a champion is much harder. UTSA will get every team’s best shot throughout the 2022 season. How will the Roadrunners respond to being the hunted rather than the hunter?  

read more:  https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2022/01/10/utsa-2021-season-in-review-roadrunners-claim-c-usa-title-with-record-breaking-team?ref=article_preview_img

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

WAY TOO EARLY 2022 OUTLOOK

Expecting 12-win seasons and conference championships isn’t fair to a program that is still in relative infancy. The Roadrunners should be a contender in C-USA in 2022, but they won’t be the overwhelming favorite unless they can replace McCormick on offense and Hicks on defense. 

The out-of-conference schedule will test Traylor’s program with a season-opener against Houston followed two weeks later with a trip to Austin to face the Longhorns. C-USA isn’t a top-tier conference, so that means the Roadrunners can win their division with another MVP season from Harris. Winning a championship is hard. Remaining a champion is much harder. UTSA will get every team’s best shot throughout the 2022 season. How will the Roadrunners respond to being the hunted rather than the hunter?  

read more:  https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2022/01/10/utsa-2021-season-in-review-roadrunners-claim-c-usa-title-with-record-breaking-team?ref=article_preview_img

They'll be severely disappointed if they expect another 12 win season

• Upvote 5

On 1/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, Coach Andy Mac said:

Expecting 12-win seasons and conference championships isn’t fair to a program that is still in relative infancy.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:34 AM, southsideguy said:

UTSA coach did more in one year than SL has done in six years, yet SL still walks the sidelines at UNT.  No really he walks the sidelines at UNT games.

Can we please highlight that the programs out pacing us in conference success are young.  This is what is makes holding on to Seth after these past 3 season infuriating.   There isn't one logical reason to hold on to Seth going into year 7 except money.   I hope against all the past that says otherwise,  but I believe Seth's 2022 performance will be mediocre or just plain bad.  I would love to sit down and have a confidential discussion with Wren Baker about the state of the program and the real reason why Seth is still here.  I would be willing to bet everything I own that Wren knows this an underperforming 2022 football team coached by Seth would be disastrous for program.  When I say disastrous I mean, setting the bar even higher for team performance before Apogee is sold out for a game. 

UTSA media feels the need to limit unreasonable expectations for a relatively new program.  And many receive downvotes for expecting that coach going into year 7 with a below 0.500 record overall,  and 3 straight losing would be fired.  I fully expect UTSA to get revenge on us in the Alamadome next year.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

52 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Can we please highlight that the programs out pacing us in conference success are young.  This is what is makes holding on to Seth after these past 3 season infuriating.   There isn't one logical reason to hold on to Seth going into year 7 except money.   I hope against all the past that says otherwise that Seth's 2022 will be mediocre or just plain bad.  I would love to sit down and have a confidential discussion with Wren Baker about the state of the program and the real reason why Seth is still here.  I would be willing to bet everything I own that Wren knows this an underperforming 2022 football team coached by Seth would be disastrous for program.  When I say disastrous I mean, setting the bar even higher for team performance before Apogee is sold out for a game. 

UTSA media feels the need to limit unreasonable expectations for a relatively new program.  And many receive downvotes for expecting that coach going into year 7 with a below 0.500 record overall,  and 3 straight losing would be fired.  I fully expect UTSA to get revenge on us in the Alamadome next year.

That's like the old saying, "Other than that, did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Known costs are always the main things that matter here. You've been a fan here for a while, so this shouldn't really surprise you that much...but it sure seems like it does.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

We won't ever circle that date on our calendar, but I'll be damned if we don't end up with 20 different gmg.com threads every year, talking about how UTSA circles that date on their calendar.

And a thread about their year in review.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

We won't ever circle that date on our calendar, but I'll be damned if we don't end up with 20 different gmg.com threads every year, talking about how UTSA circles that date on their calendar.

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And a thread about their year in review.

And people still want to think SMU (who doesn't give a damn about us) is our biggest rival.

Every game against UTSA has been chippy. There have been blowouts on both sides, close last minute wins, and general disdain between fans and players on both sides. Hell our BANDS were arguing this last game.

When does that ever happen with SMU? At least in recent memory? I dare say never. 

I say embrace the hate, who cares if UTSA is a glorified community college with almost no athletic history. They're the best rival we've had since joining CUSA

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

6 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

If they didn’t give a damn before, I’m guessing they will start caring when we are conference mates.  

For sure. A conference win is a conference win, but until we start getting serious about football(IE Hiring a competent coach), especially in the AAC, we'll just be another Temple/USF/Tulane

• Upvote 2