COACH'S FILM ROOM - ESPN2

El Paso Eagle

4 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

One of my favorite memories as a student in Fall 2001.

A fan frustrated with the play calling yelling towards Dickey, “Way to go, Dickey!  Way to set up the run with the run!”  😂😂😂

You'd have loved being in FW on a beautiful fall day, while our defense played toe-to-toe against TCU, who had some running back named Tomlinson running for them and was bottled up for the most part that day. And we scored a FG on a fake punt that got us into TCU territory, and we only trailed 13-3 going into the 4th quarter. But the Dickster wanted us to just get the game over, so we maybe ran 4 pass plays into the 4th quarter, so all we would do on offense was run the ball into TCU's stellar defense. Finally, a very nice UNT contingent of fans who filled up a section at Amon G. Carter Stadium started chanting in unison, "Throw the ball, throw the ball, throw the ball..." Of course, we didn't, gave up another 10 points, IIRC, and lost a very winnable game 23-3.

And LT was so frustrated that day, that in his very next game, he only ran for 400 yards at home against UTEP...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I was at that TCU game with all of you " 'mfkers' ". 

"Throw the ball" was the first officially organized "UNT Chant" that still outlasts all others at any UNT game.  And it isn't even close!

I think it even had an organized beginning and end.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, rcade said:

Stetson Bennett has the same reported height and weight as Mason Fine -- 5' 11' and 190.

He looked "slight" to me, but he was standing by Bryce Young postgame and looked to be the same height.  That surprised me.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:57 PM, untjim1995 said:

Of course, we didn't, gave up another 10 points, IIRC, and lost a very winnable game 23-3.

We lost 16-10. Game was on 9/21/02. That was also the game that Hiram Gonzalez played in.

https://gofrogs.com/sports/football/stats/2002/north-texas/boxscore/4082

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1

I attended the 9/21/02 game with my son and a German foreign exchange student living with us at the time. At that game the "Throw the Ball" chant started in the stands and could be heard over radio broadcasts of the game. LT was gone by then. I did not attend the 1999 game so if there was a "Throw the ball" chant I would not know. My post was solely referencing the date of the chant. I know the other info in your post was not connected to the 2002 game. It was my belief that you had mixed up info from two games on different dates. If you are saying there was also a "Throw the Ball" chant in 1999, I really would not know. I have a clear recollection of 2002. 

Edited by MCMLXXX