Aaron Scott is a beast!

Jonnyeagle

UNT MEN’S BASKETBALL: Scott Named C-USA Freshman of the Week Again

Scott Earns Second Consecutive Freshman of the Week Honor

DALLAS, Texas – For the second consecutive week North Texas men's basketball freshman Aaron Scott has been named the Conference USA Freshman of the Week. The 2021-22 C-USA Players of the Week awards are presented by Surf & Turf Golf and announced by the league each Monday. 

Scott was perfect from the field this past week in the Mean Green's two games combined and the Spring, Texas, native averaged over six points per game. He scored nine points on Saturday in UNT's 70-63 win over Middle Tennessee as he came off the bench and played a season-high 30 minutes. 

This is the second consecutive week he's been named the C-USA Freshman of the Week. He becomes the first North Texas freshman to earn the honor twice in a season since Ryan Woolridge and AJ Lawson each won it multiple times in the 2016-17 season. Woolridge also earned it in consecutive weeks that season. 

Scott is the first C-USA freshman this year to earn the award in consecutive weeks.

His nine points on Saturday versus Middle Tennessee are the second-most he's scored in a game this season. Scott averaged three rebounds per game this week as well.

UNT is on road this coming week as they travel to Marshall on Thursday and then WKU on Saturday. The games are scheduled to tip-off at 6 p.m. CT and 3 p.m. CT, respectively. 

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Cooley said:

Helps to offset an otherwise mediocre class along with Perry. 

Yeah the last class was suprising? considering the NCAA run, or maybe that takes another year to kick in. Perry is a great player but his lack of height makes him hard to be a consistent threat without other outside threats. It probably also reduced the competition for him.

Scott is a good find as he looks like a project offensively but is filling the Bell role from last year now that bell seems to be working on his NBA game each week during the game.

• Upvote 4

On 1/11/2022 at 8:37 AM, MeanGreenHoops said:

Yeah the last class was suprising? considering the NCAA run, or maybe that takes another year to kick in. Perry is a great player but his lack of height makes him hard to be a consistent threat without other outside threats. It probably also reduced the competition for him.

Scott is a good find as he looks like a project offensively but is filling the Bell role from last year now that bell seems to be working on his NBA game each week during the game.

Perry is a player, pure and simple.  Who do you consider a consistent threat?

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Perry is a player, pure and simple.  Who do you consider a consistent threat?

Agreed.

We need to stop with the Bell isolation plays.  I am not sure what the purpose is, but he doesn't have the game to be successful at that and the other players end up standing around and watching.  He is much more effective when he just flows with the game.

I am still hoping to see Stone get some minutes and establish some confidence in his shot.

We also need to get Wright on track.  He needs to step in and pick up the few minutes J. Simmons was getting.

Sorry for the highjack.  Yes Aaron Scott is a beast and I am excited to see him develop.

Edited by UNTLifer
Redirect my highjack
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Agreed.

We need to stop with the Bell isolation plays.  I am not sure what the purpose is, but he doesn't have the game to be successful at that and the other players end up standing around and watching.  He is much more effective when he just flows with the game.

I am still hoping to see Stone get some minutes and establish some confidence in his shot.

We also need to get Wright on track.  He needs to step in and pick up the few minutes J. Simmons was getting.

Sorry for the highjack.  Yes Aaron Scott is a beast and I am excited to see him develop.

I will respectfully disagree with you @UNTLifer and say Ibthink we have to keep feeding the ball to Bell and hope he can find his offensive game.  If he does not we will not be able to win the conference.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jonnyeagle said:

I will respectfully disagree with you @UNTLifer and say Ibthink we have to keep feeding the ball to Bell and hope he can find his offensive game.  If he does not we will not be able to win the conference.

I love Bell's game, but I don't think he has the skillset to back his defender down.  If I were defending him, I would force him to his right every time.  Plus, he is too careless with his handle.  He is a great passer out of this set, but too many players stand around and watch.  I just feel he is better off a rebound and being a supporting part working into the flow of the offense and not being a focal point.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

ATM, no one. But McBride might be stepping into that role, which would greatly help out Perry.

Yes.  McBride disappears from games at points.  Take the MUTS game, he came out on fire and didn't score at all in the second half.  I think he is getting there though and I love the other aspects of his game.  I was really hoping Stone would be one to step in and be our "pure shooter", and that may still happen since he is just a freshman, but we need a "go to" person late ala Smart during the CBI year and Hamlet last year.