Any recruiting updates?

Jonnyeagle

2 hours ago, Graddean said:

January 21 is the last day to add a class.  Transfers would need to be here by then to go through Spring Practice .

There are exceptions to every rule. How many hours does a player have to take to practice? Can a player enroll in the 8-week session and still practice?

image.png.4f0cd2cbf250678cdd05e5e4f88b6d3e.png

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m nervous as hell that Littrell is going to hire the next bum of the week like Reeder and Joseph to be the next quarterbacks coach. If that is the case, y’all can all rest easy that we will have a brand new coach for 2023.

Yost is going to FIU.    Friggin FIU!!!!    We most-definitely could've had him here.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article257008847.html

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yost is going to FIU.    Friggin FIU!!!!    We most-definitely could've had him here.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article257008847.html

Yet another failure on Littrell's part. His coaching replacements has been so uninspiring and inconsistent

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

13 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Bull… Bennett was a great hire and Bloesh , Cobb are getting National recognition. Now hire a recognizable qb coach.

Langston was garbage, Reeder was garbage, Bowen was garbage, Wallis and Joseph were non-existent/garbage. And Bloesch/Littrell as OC have been wildly inconsistent

Point being is he's had more misses than hits

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Langston was garbage, Reeder was garbage, Bowen was garbage, Wallis and Joseph were non-existent/garbage. And Bloesch/Littrell as OC have been wildly inconsistent

Point being is he's had more misses than hits

Even you have to agree his initial staff was pretty dang good. If you include that, he has had more hired away by P5s than coaches he had to fire.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Bull… Bennett was a great hire and Bloesh , Cobb are getting National recognition. Now hire a recognizable qb coach.

You listed 3 nice replacement hires.   May as well mention Marty Biagi and Jeff Koonz too, because that's about it when it comes to difference-making position-coach/coordinator hires since Littrell's original staff (which was excellent).
The graveyard is a lot more full though if you want to go back in look at it, so @MGNation92's point stands.

For as good as Bennett is, the Bowen hire was a disaster.
For as good as Bloesch is, the Langston hire was a disaster.
For as good as Cobbs is, Reeder, Wallis, Joseph, Scott, Jennings, Mathies, re-hiring Ekeler, & allowing Passwaters were bad hires.   Let alone his bumbling of last years' STs due to splitting that duty between 3 coaches (not fully-trusting Petrilli to actually do his job).

Obviously your last sentence is much easier to type than to actually do.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You listed 3 nice replacement hires.   May as well mention Marty Biagi and Jeff Koonz too, because that's about it when it comes to difference-making position-coach/coordinator hires since Littrell's original staff (which was excellent).
The graveyard is a lot more full though if you want to go back in look at it, so @MGNation92's point stands.

For as good as Cobbs is, Reeder, Wallis, Joseph, Scott, Jennings, Mathies, re-hiring Ekeler, & allowing Passwaters were bad hires.   Let alone his bumbling of last years' STs due to splitting that duty between 3 coaches (not fully-trusting Petrilli to actually do his job).

I disagree on Passwaters, he seems to have done a fantastic job. He didn’t screw up the mature players who were already playing well and has done a great job with the young ones, especially Roderick Brown.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Trying to deal with current staff which is how he should be judged now!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Was all on board until you took the jab at Passwaters. Still to soon to say it was a great hire, but nothing to say it was a bad hire.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I disagree on Passwaters, he seems to have done a fantastic job. He didn’t screw up the mature players who were already playing well and has done a great job with the young ones, especially Roderick Brown.

This isn't necessarily a glowing endorsement. 

And honestly, I feel like this is not giving credit where actual credit is due... players' abilities/talents, and Bennett's overall scheme.   
Also, we found that the oustide rushers (Murphys) were actually moreso under Coach Petrilli than Passwaters. 

And believe me, I saw with my own eyes, multiple times, when Passwaters would try and coach either Murphy, he was ignored.

Look, if having him on staff is what it takes to get Bennett, that's fine.   It doesn't make him a good hire though.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This isn't necessarily a glowing endorsement. 

And honestly, I feel like this is not giving credit where actual credit is due... players' abilities/talents, and Bennett's overall scheme.   
Also, we found that the oustide rushers (Murphys) were actually moreso under Coach Petrilli than Passwaters. 

And believe me, I saw with my own eyes, multiple times, when Passwaters would try and coach either Murphy, he was ignored.

Look, if having him on staff is what it takes to get Bennett, that's fine.   It doesn't make him a good hire though.

That “glowing endorsement” was made with the supposition that if I said he did a great job with Novil and Colvin that you would say he didn’t deserve that credit because they already were good. 

When I saw the Murphy twins interact with Passwaters at the UTSA game, it seemed they had a great relationship. You can’t say the credit for the twins’ play goes to Petrilli because they are in his position group and then also say that Passwaters isn’t doing a good job coaching them. Why do you dismiss the play of Passwaters’ players as a product of Bennett and his system but give Petrilli, Cobbs, and Bloesch credit for their players independent of the system?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

That “glowing endorsement” was made with the supposition that if I said he did a great job with Novil and Colvin that you would say he didn’t deserve that credit because they already were good. 

When I saw the Murphy twins interact with Passwaters at the UTSA game, it seemed they had a great relationship. You can’t say the credit for the twins’ play goes to Petrilli because they are in his position group and then also say that Passwaters isn’t doing a good job coaching them. Why do you dismiss the play of Passwaters’ players as a product of Bennett and his system but give Petrilli, Cobbs, and Bloesch credit for their players independent of the system?

Bloesch's unit is notably better than Langston's in every way.  You can't not notice this.

Cobbs' unit was 3-deep (without Adaway), and was able to roll with an entire midseason philosophy shift that put the onus on them to produce the entirety of the offense.  You can't have 3 dudes able to do this, seamlessly, without knowing what you're doing.   We didn't have fumble issues out of any of them either.  That's coaching enhancing their talents.
I wouldn't necessarily give Petrilli a lot of credit for the Murphys either.  Those guys are obviously very talented.   I think a better coach might be able to get more discipline out of them though.

I think with Bennett's defense, we saw a case of a rising tide lifting all boats.   Be honest, in looking at Passwaters' pedigree, it's not out of line to say he was WOEFULLY underqualified for his position.   I think, had Littrell/Bennett retained coach Mathies (a proven DL coach), the DL may have done even better. 

But again, if bringing Passwaters on was necessary baggage to get Bennett, that's fine.   Bennett can coach up his S-I-L to be a good DL coach eventually, I'm sure.  He knows what he wants out of DL in his scheme.  It just doesn't make Passwaters a good DL coach right now.

• Downvote 1