In Game Fan Experience

GMG24

I will try to do this without sounding like a whiny baby.  It seems like there is a serious lack of THINKING that goes into the fans game day experience.  Little to no effort to get the crowd going with some energy and while I agree that the fans should bring that on their own sometimes they need a little help.  Things I noticed during the game yesterday that had me seriously scratching my head.  

1. They're in a timeout and the video board has the clip where a player gets hype and starts chanting DEFENSE!  DURING A TIMEOUT.  Then they break the huddle and nothing.  

2. Music selection has not changed in years, songs do nothing to move the needle.   

3.  The environment of the Pit in general is BLAH

4. Majority of the fans there seem to be there to watch a basketball game not cheer or celebrate, just simply watch them run up and down the court and play the game.

5. I wish they'd turn those goofy yellowish lights off and just have the newer lights on.

6. Middle Tennessee section that came to the game was loudest section in the "North" "Texas" chant. 

• Upvote 6
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

42 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I will try to do this without sounding like a whiny baby.  It seems like there is a serious lack of THINKING that goes into the fans game day experience.  Little to no effort to get the crowd going with some energy and while I agree that the fans should bring that on their own sometimes they need a little help.  Things I noticed during the game yesterday that had me seriously scratching my head.  

1. They're in a timeout and the video board has the clip where a player gets hype and starts chanting DEFENSE!  DURING A TIMEOUT.  Then they break the huddle and nothing.  

2. Music selection has not changed in years, songs do nothing to move the needle.   

3.  The environment of the Pit in general is BLAH

4. Majority of the fans there seem to be there to watch a basketball game not cheer or celebrate, just simply watch them run up and down the court and play the game.

5. I wish they'd turn those goofy yellowish lights off and just have the newer lights on.

6. Middle Tennessee section that came to the game was loudest section in the "North" "Texas" chant. 

Yeah they were really into that chant haha. 

I mean honestly I don’t cheer and get loud. I am there to watch the game, but I like good basketball and focus on other things. 

It is a little weird with the random defense videos; however are they aloud to run them during play? I know college has rules about music and such playing while the ball is live. Wish it was more like NBA in that regard. 

• Upvote 4

For those that disagree with my above comment, I would love to read your rebuttals.   I would love to know what you think is being done to promote the basketball games and make the games attractive to the casual fan.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

For this that disagree with my above comment, I would love to read your rebuttals.   I would love to know what you think is being done to promote the basketball games and make the games attractive to the casual fan.

You won’t get anything. It’s apparent people on here read something they don’t want to hear and down vote it, whether it’s accurate or not. 

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 7

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The department doesn’t try. I don’t get it considering WB is supposedly a “basketball guy”. 

Grasshopper, you must first pick the proper container in the Fry Shuffle before you may criticize the experience.

Alternatively, you may wear a laundry basket on your head and catch a Rubber Chicken.  

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

It would be nice to have a gameday program. I also wish we could remove the white sign on the season ticket holder seats that are never filled. One whole section on the east side has white banners and I have never seen anyone sitting there. They need to have people checking on why season ticket holders are not using the seat they purchased. Are the corporate seats? If they aren't going to be used, maybe the account holder would be willing to donate them to be given away to school groups, youth teams, ect. We used to have the young halftime games and little dribblers groups that at least stayed until after they performed. Parents will come to see their kids. I just don't know how much time and resources the athletic department is devoting to try to increase basketball attendance. I may be wrong but it doesn't seem to be a top priority. 

• Upvote 5
  • RV 1

We have seats we can’t fill due to covid.  I am immunocompromised and cannot attend unless masks are required, at the very least. I am more than pissed that I cannot attend. We watch every game on tv, but of course it is not close to the same. I’ve been wearing a mask since 2017 due to cancer. It’s not a big deal. Wear the damn things!  Wishing I could be at the Super Pit. 

GMG!

• Upvote 8
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

On 1/9/2022 at 6:39 PM, UNTLifer said:

For those that disagree with my above comment, I would love to read your rebuttals.   I would love to know what you think is being done to promote the basketball games and make the games attractive to the casual fan.

I would disagree that they don’t try.. I would, however, agree that there’s *something* missing. And idk what it is. I feel like they do OK marketing the team on social media channels but there’s a lot of fans that aren’t tuned into that kind of thing. It doesn’t help that the greatest moments in program history have been during a period of limited fan interaction. It’s tough. 

• Upvote 3

Those white signs represent tickets sold. They can either enforce seating or make it clear seats are taken. I have had the same 4 seats for the last 25 years. When they were not shown to be reserved, I constantly had to tell folks to move. I don't know why but often there could be rows of seats around me unoccupied and they would sit in mine, including on some occasions during some games when I stepped out to take my grandson to the concession stand and returned to have some dumbass insist that I show my tickets to them while my hands are occupied. You should set in the seat you bought. If you disagree then try to sit on a courtside seat and see what happens. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Those white signs represent tickets sold. They can either enforce seating or make it clear seats are taken. I have had the same 4 seats for the last 25 years. When they were not shown to be reserved, I constantly had to tell folks to move. I don't know why but often there could be rows of seats around me unoccupied and they would sit in mine, including on some occasions during some games when I stepped out to take my grandson to the concession stand and returned to have some dumbass insist that I show my tickets to them while my hands are occupied. You should set in the seat you bought. If you disagree then try to sit on a courtside seat and see what happens. 

Amen

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I would disagree that they don’t try.. I would, however, agree that there’s *something* missing. And idk what it is. I feel like they do OK marketing the team on social media channels but there’s a lot of fans that aren’t tuned into that kind of thing. It doesn’t help that the greatest moments in program history have been during a period of limited fan interaction. It’s tough. 

It is lazy marketing.  If you are marketing via social media, you are mainly hitting the fans that are already following you.  They have to get creative to draw the community to the games.  There used to be a "Taste of North Texas" event that seemed to draw folks in.  They need special events around every game to build the fanbase.

• Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

I find it hard to believe that every white sign is on a sold seat. I'd like to know how many basketball season tickets have been sold. 

• Downvote 2

Is there anything on campus signs etc letting the students know that there is game at the pit on certain night.? Maybe signs in the dorms.  Every dorm is within easy walking distance to the pit.  

Maybe video games have taken over the free time and nobody leaves their rooms at night.   I remember it was a pretty social event to go to a game back in the day.  You would think a good basketball team could at least fill half of the Pit.

During the CBI tournament the Pit was rocking, since then not so much.   We have a good basketball program.  Enjoy it why we can because I bet Grant will be on a lot of wish lists soon.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

I find it hard to believe that every white sign is on a sold seat. I'd like to know how many basketball season tickets have been sold. 

Every seat with a marker is sold. 

I also think there is confusion as to general admission Because that’s the upper bowl and side sections but nobody monitors it and some have Ben told it means any seat in the lower bowl. Some fans just don’t seem to know any better because there is not staff to specific this. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1