Cowlishaw - Transfer portal creates chaos

VideoEagle

I believe high school players not being recruited as much is also a victim of the transfer portal. I believe the next in line will be that scholarships will start not being renewed for backup/scoutteam players. I think historical you see that most schools have kept players once they sign them as freshman if the player chooses to stay. With the amount of players available in the portal it would not surprise me if more and more schools start releasing players.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Interesting take at the end.  Essentially the transfer portal gives even more power to coaches than before.  I hadn’t considered that, but he is exactly right.

Kids have always been more loyal to their coaches than the schools.  Now they can follow them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 1/9/2022 at 11:56 AM, Wag Tag said:

It does make it easier to basically cut players. Just advise them to go to the portal where they can get an opportunity to play. I wouldn’t recruit HS qbs. You should be able to get a better more developed qb out of the portal.

This is an interesting take. I don't know if that is the case. there is just so much we don't know that it makes it hard to know what the 'best path' forward is. 

Are there going to be QB's available at the high school level that would not have been in UNT's range previously? How will HS kids perceive a coach hitting the transfer portal frequently? How will coaches be able to handle a locker room with a free-agent type structure? 

• Upvote 2

When administrators, conference leaderships, NCAA and coaches started shoveling more money into their pockets than back into the mission of the schools to educate they made a deal with the devil.  It would be refreshing if Nick Sabin was getting paid like UCLA's John Wooden was in his mid career.    All this was bound to happen eventually.   The old ways were just too unethical. 

Probably from since the end of the CFA/NCAA controlled media contracts the old ways were doomed.   I am surprised it took this long.  Maybe John Wooden was the last 100% ethical coach to win a national championship?  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

When administrators, conference leaderships, NCAA and coaches started shoveling more money into their pockets than back into the mission of the schools to educate they made a deal with the devil.  It would be refreshing if Nick Sabin was getting paid like UCLA's John Wooden was in his mid career.    All this was bound to happen eventually.   The old ways were just too unethical. 

Probably from since the end of the CFA/NCAA controlled media contracts the old ways were doomed.   I am surprised it took this long.  Maybe John Wooden was the last 100% ethical coach to win a national championship?  

Read up on the name Sam Gilbert and then see what that makes you think of John Wooden and being 100% ethical...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Read up on the name Sam Gilbert and then see what that makes you think of John Wooden and being 100% ethical...

Just read it.  Welp Dam!  Next your are going to tell me Santa Claus doesn't live at the North Pole.  LMAO  Maybe Wooden was 100% ethical for the 1964 title before Sam got on the scene?  🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1