NDSU vs. Montana State

Big Z

9 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

If we competed for National Championships and win a conference championship virtually every year like NDSU does, I'm sure our fans would show up to a championship game in North Dakota. 

And let's not kid ourselves, NDSU would wreck us up, along with 2/3rds of FBS. I don't know why they haven't taken the leap yet. Maybe it just feels good picking on the little guys

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 5

2 minutes ago, Udomann said:

And let's not kid ourselves, NDSU would wreck us up, along with 2/3rds of FBS. I don't know why they haven't taken the leap yet. Maybe it just feels good picking on the little guys

They need to, MWC is licking their chops hoping they join. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Udomann said:

There is something to be said for being a big fish in a little pond

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

People will travel for a national championship game...not so much for a made-up bowl game with two average teams on December 23rd at 3pm

Not a legitimate argument.  There was no traveling for us. No cost. It was a game closer to many fans than a game in Denton. We have hundreds of thousands of alumni and 40,000 students. Here. NDSU is a 14 hour drive away. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

On a related personal fan-travel note, my wife and most of her family are graduates of UGA and of course are avid fans. Although I did graduate work there, I will always bleed green. Anyway I got two tickets to Monday's national championship game in Indianapolis and we decided it was not worth the risk as she has autoimmune issues. Plus, we didn't go to the Frisco Classic ! Besides, we attended the 1980 national championship game in NOLA.  So, we gave the tickets to our only two nephews, also UGA grads, who are going up Sunday and coming back Tuesday. (phukin tickets were $1500 each).

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Not a legitimate argument.  There was no traveling for us. No cost. It was a game closer to many fans than a game in Denton. We have hundreds of thousands of alumni and 40,000 students. Here. NDSU is a 14 hour drive away. 

We have consistently played like somewhere between almost good and garbage 3 straight years.  Nobody likes a mediocre product and people had to work.  Any fan/alumni whining about the lack of attendance are just being illogical.  Even the Dallas Cowboys had blacked out games as late as 1990.  Seth should have been fired mid season. 🤷🏽‍♂️  This program has been irrelevant or embarrassing for most of the last 36 years playing FBS Football.  Also our record in I-AA playoff (now FCS) is 0-4.  Our all time record is over 70 games below 0.500.  

The minority of fans that showed up or watched on TV were treated watching them lose badly to a mediocre MAC team they have never seen before.  

This program is embarrassing if you bring it up in conversation with alumni of TCU, SMU, Texas Tech, Houston, Baylor and maybe even Texas State with their 2 Division II national championships.

This program doesn’t deserve strong support.  The few who do support it deserve praise.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

We have consistently played like somewhere between almost good and garbage 3 straight years.  Nobody likes a mediocre product and people had to work.  Any fan/alumni whining about the lack of attendance  is just being illogical.  Even the Dallas Cowboys had blacked out games as late as 1990.  Seth should have been fired mid season. 🤷🏽‍♂️  This program has been irrelevant or embarrassing for most of the last 36 years playing FBS Football.  Also our record in I-AA playoff (now FCS) is 0-4.  Our all time record is over 70 games below 0.500.  

The minority of fans that showed up or watched on TV were treated watching them lose badly to a mediocre MAC team they have never seen before.  

This program is embarrassing if you bring it up in conversation with alumni of TCU, SMU, Texas Tech, Houston, Baylor and maybe even Texas State with their 2 Division II national championships.

This program doesn’t deserve strong support.  The few who do support it deserve praise.

Illogical?  Good grief. We’re not talking about filling a 45,000 seat or even a 30,000 seat stadium. 

We’re talking 16,500 and on a beautiful day to boot  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Half of our dedicated fans don’t even think we have a problem. 

Or, and just thinking out loud here, maybe half our dedicated fans know that voicing concerns to those that can make a change is FAR more effective than rehashing the same complaints ad nauseam on a message board

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Just now, emmitt01 said:

Or, and just thinking out loud here, maybe half our dedicated fans know that voicing concerns to those that can make a change is FAR more effective than rehashing the same complaints ad nauseam on a message board

I don’t actually disagree with you, generally, but I would say that 1) it’s a message board. This is what it is for.  2) whoever those concerns are being voiced to are either doing nothing or what they are doing is entirely ineffective. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

Illogical?  Good grief. We’re not talking about filling a 45,000 seat or even a 30,000 seat stadium. 

We’re talking 16,500 and on a beautiful day to boot  

Nobody likes mediocre.  The fans/alumni who show up have a higher level of dedication than your average fan base.  The UTSA game at Apogee didn’t have 16,500 people actually there because I was there and saw it first hand.   That was an undefeated opponent rival and most likely the last time we would get to see the 2021 Mean Green team locally.  The Frisco Classic was created to make sure all qualifying FBS teams had a bowl to go to.  Sorry reality bites and they lived up to the historical reputation that has most local college football fans completely uninterested in Mean Green Football.  And the leadership co-signs the last 3 losing seasons as acceptable by letting Seth coach year 7.   

Yes it is very much illogical.  I will give you an analogy.  We live in barbecue country.  There are 1 million people locally that love barbecue, probably more.  But if you open up a barbecue restaurant with crappy service, mediocre barbecue and expect people to show up you’re illogical.  And I don’t care if you’re in downtown, Dallas Frisco, Deep Ellum, The Stockyards or right next Cowboys Stadium.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I don’t actually disagree with you, generally, but I would say that 1) it’s a message board. This is what it is for.  2) whoever those concerns are being voiced to are either doing nothing or what they are doing is entirely ineffective. 

I don’t disagree with the last portion of your post.  I just have a hard time as someone who loves North Texas (and has the mental scars to show for it) watching our most ardent fans perpetually engage in a “we suck, we’ve always sucked, we’ll always suck” echo chamber…especially when comparing a perennial (meaning year after year after year) national champion contender to ourselves in terms of following.  

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2