Williams $1m

Wag Tag

16 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

NIL deals are taxpayer money? I didn’t sign up for this!

I actually think he was trying to make the point that scholarships are tax payer money...which, if you stretch it out far enough and squint your eyes, ok...sure. 

but then so are corporate subsidies and tax breaks.  not to mention federally financed infrastructure utilized by all US-based corporations.

so we actually still have an apples to apples comparison 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

16 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Yes, you will always find some outlier POS in all aspects of life. (great job googling) Hopefully you are being a jokester instead of condoning keeping something you didn't pay for. 

14 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

A bad decision by one doesn't apply to all.  Bernie Madoff graduated from Alabama and Brooklyn Law School.  Does that make all of their graduates swindlers?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I actually think he was trying to make the point that scholarships are tax payer money...which, if you stretch it out far enough and squint your eyes, ok...sure. 

but then so are corporate subsidies and tax breaks.  not to mention federally financed infrastructure utilized by all US-based corporations.

I look at our corporate P&L on a daily basis. We receive tax breaks but still pay an outrageous amount of tax dollars. Back to apples to oranges.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenPatriot said:

I look at our corporate P&L on a daily basis. We receive tax breaks but still pay an outrageous amount of tax dollars. Back to apples to oranges.

Sssshhh.  You'll upset his liberal sensibilities.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Right. But when he said one was taxpayer money (Scholarship plus NIL) and one was corporate profits (salary plus bonus) in response to you he was lumping the scholarship and NIL amounts together as taxpayer money.

Even if you grant scholarships as taxpayer money, the NIL deal comes from company profits. Which makes your example accurate, even before you lifted back the facade of companies only giving but not taking. The bonuses (NIL deal in example A, Cash performance bonus in example B) in both examples come from company profit.

I don’t see any actual argument here on why an athlete’s market should be capped at the arbitrary tuition/room and board set by the University.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenPatriot said:

No, its called integrity. Something instilled in boot camp. 

I agree.

A year or so ago I put out a hypothetical (not on gmg.com) similar to this, asking something similar.  That if a cashier accidentally gave you the wrong change and it was more, and you had the opportunity to walk away without being caught, would you do it?  I was surprised how many people said they'd take it and walk.  Almost all of them had various ways of saying, "it's not my fault they gave the wrong change."

I think these athletes should follow through on whatever they sign up for.  Today I read about Marcus Williamson and his Tweets about Ohio State.  It makes me wonder if these guys don't know what they are signing up for.

• Upvote 1

If you get a high school player and develop him and he becomes really good, he will be poached by a P-5 team.   I appreciate loyalty and all that but it now about the money.   If I had the talent and was young I would like to think I would be loyal but to get paid well and go to college that would be hard thing to turn down.   

I don't know if there is way to level the field anymore, I think college football as we remember it is on the way out  the door.  Not sure I will like the NFL-lite version.  How long until it makes it to the high schools?  It think my days of being a college football fan might be numbered.  

Just hard to get excited about your team when you know they will be poached.  With fewer players in basketball I hate to see what they will be getting paid.