AAC Parallels: USF AD Michael Kelly preaches patience with future of athletics department

Coach Andy Mac

In an increasing now-or-never college landscape where coaching turnover is an everyday occurrence, USF athletics director Michael Kelly is preaching patience when discussing the future of the Bulls athletics department.

“Like a wise man once told me, we need to take more of a 10-year view than a 10-game view,” Kelly said on Wednesday. “You can’t get too up or too down with everything that happens, and you’ve got to weather the storm and move things forward.

Since arriving in 2018, Kelly has overseen fundraising efforts to secure nearly $30 million in gifts and commitments, resulting in several on-campus facility upgrades, including a $3 million renovation of the football locker rooms in the Lee Roy Selmon Athletics Center.

He’s also overseen construction on the $22 million Indoor Performance Facility, with completion set for summer 2022.

According to Kelly, the decision to extend the contracts of his coaches was made in the spirit of building continuity among the programs. It was important for recruiting and it showed a commitment to the coaches and athletes.

One of the coaches who received an extension was football coach Jeff Scott. Scott wrapped up his second season with the Bulls and is 3-18 overall, including 2-10 in 2021.

Despite the disappointing early results, Kelly believes Scott is the right man for the program, citing the challenges of coaching during the pandemic in his first season while also dealing with an NCAA probation from the previous coaching staff.

Read more:  https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-usf-athletics-michael-kelly-20220105-6vvnyr5lnve4bh5elksfxlx62q-story.html

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A 10-year plan for success would be a godsend for UNT.  I've been a student or fan for 34 years and there's never (on-field) sustained success.  It's been almost 20 years since we won a conference championship.

(and no, low-end bowls are not "success", when there's 40+ of them.  Bowl games meant something when they were rarities, not over half the teams in the NCAA)

Edited by TripleGrad
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

A 10-year plan for success would be a godsend for UNT.  I've been a student or fan for 34 years and there's never (on-field) sustained success.  It's been almost 20 years since we won a conference championship.

(and no, low-end bowls are not "success", when there's 40+ of them.  Bowl games meant something when they were rarities, not over half the teams in the NCAA)

Agreed and I think many of us would be more apt to accept Seth's 6-year 500 record if we new there was a plan behind it and something that would keep us up there when we arrived.  I am just skeptical of that being the case.  In basketball I absolutely believe McCasland has a plan and it is working.  I think McCasland has awakened many of us to realize that it is possible to be successful at UNT with the right coach.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2