How to get excited for 2022?

WanderingEagle

I know what expectations to place and not to place on this program. But as someone who gives to the MGSF, is a season ticket holder, etc., I am truly finding it hard to care about the upcoming season. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars per seat for me and my family to watch us get the tar beat out of us, and that's the likely scenario. I've done it for six years (which is nothing compared to some others on this board lolololol). Southern Miss was probably a shoe-in win for us this year at home, and that game will be gone now. SMU is going to kick us up and down the field once again. UTSA is not going to bend over and take it in San Antonio. They HATE us and will want to get payback. 

What can be done to generate hope and higher expectations? Because I really do not feel like giving hundreds of dollars to the program this year, but I do not want to back down from my unwavering support of this team.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

You have hope because that is what you do when it is YOUR school.  There is always hope.

You look at all that could go wrong.  The schools on our schedule are looking at NT saying "They won 5 in a row and beat a ranked team to finish the season.  They were one blown call away from beating a good Liberty team.  They had chances to win their bowl game.  They got better as the year progressed.  They have almost everyone back on both sides of the ball and the ones they graduate are replaceable.  If they can find an above average QB, his team is ready to excel."

My gosh, we have been to a bowl 5 of the last 6 years.  Be positive. This is about to be a really good time to be green.

• Upvote 7
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

58 minutes ago, WanderingEagle said:

I know what expectations to place and not to place on this program. But as someone who gives to the MGSF, is a season ticket holder, etc., I am truly finding it hard to care about the upcoming season. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars per seat for me and my family to watch us get the tar beat out of us, and that's the likely scenario. I've done it for six years (which is nothing compared to some others on this board lolololol). Southern Miss was probably a shoe-in win for us this year at home, and that game will be gone now. SMU is going to kick us up and down the field once again. UTSA is not going to bend over and take it in San Antonio. They HATE us and will want to get payback. 

What can be done to generate hope and higher expectations? Because I really do not feel like giving hundreds of dollars to the program this year, but I do not want to back down from my unwavering support of this team.

I totally understand your frustration, but I encourage you to continue your support of our athletes. It isn't the players fault that the administration won't make the coaching changes needed to improve our chances of being competitive. I myself will continue my current level of donations to the MGSF and keep my season tickets, but I won't be making my usual annual increase in giving, or go out of my way to waste money on unnecessary related events or items. You can get your message across to the athletic department and still support our players.

• Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

2nd year under Phil Bennett is big, too.  Our number of returning starters and the returning injured players. The team is trending up. A win in Dallas would be suh-weet!  GMG!

We couldn't beat a 6-6 MAC team to end this season.... SMU is going to curb stomp us to start next season. You've drank too much of the green Kool-aid.

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

You have hope because that is what you do when it is YOUR school.  There is always hope.

You look at all that could go wrong.  The schools on our schedule are looking at NT saying "They won 5 in a row and beat a ranked team to finish the season.  They were one blown call away from beating a good Liberty team.  They had chances to win their bowl game.  They got better as the year progressed.  They have almost everyone back on both sides of the ball and the ones they graduate are replaceable.  If they can find an above average QB, his team is ready to excel."

My gosh, we have been to a bowl 5 of the last 6 years.  Be positive. This is about to be a really good time to be green.

What happened in those 5 bowls is why there is skepticism 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

Props to you.  I don’t have the guts to post something that could result in Dion Novil standing at my door looking for an explanation.  
image.jpeg.792421d1a3d3c6c2128006bbfc9c37b2.jpeg

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I find that, even during the Dodge years, the biggest influence on excitement for me is just the sheer absence of Mean Green football for 8-9 months. That is usually enough time for me to forget if we suck and get excited about watching us again. I hope this coming season we don’t suck.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

How many down moments would you take for an Ark moment, for Mason last second game winning pass, defensive stand against Rice, the bomb to win the Rice game, to stomp a ranked UTSA team. For all the negatives there are still a lot of memorable moments and I was at most of them. Just be a competitive Mid Major program!!! GMG 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT86 said:

We've lost all five of those bowls. 4 of them by at least 13 points, 2 by 35+. I'm sorry to be that guy, but we should have higher expectations of our program. You can argue that historically this is better than we've ever had it and yeah, that's probably true, but I'm sorry, I don't see 0-5 in the postseason and a 3-14 record against SMU/La Tech/UAB under Littrell as anything worth saying "Well, at least we have this!" over.

TCU can have 10 win seasons and championship contention. SMU can get ranked and have success. UTSA did it this year. I don't understand why expecting more from North Texas is frowned upon. I don't fundamentally disagree with what you're saying. It is the best and most optimistic era of NT football we've ever had, but complacency is just going to keep us where we're at. We are not one guy away from 9-10 wins next year. Are we all of a sudden going to figure out how to beat the Ponies? Louisiana Tech was awful this year and they still beat us. I just don't understand why wanting more and not being complacent is a bad thing.

Edited by WanderingEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

On 1/4/2022 at 7:35 PM, UNT86 said:

Just like a ranked UTSA was going to curb stomp us..... but they didn't.

Well you better hope terrible weather shows up and tilts the game toward our running game.  UTSA still probably doesn’t curb stomp us  if there isn’t any rain but beating them wouldn’t have been easy.  

As for beating a ranked team.   Did we really beat a ranked team or just an undefeated G5 team that hadn’t beat anyone?  They ended the season Unranked which was appropriate.  

I am excited that I probably wait leisurely decide between the Cabana or Terrace.  The wait list should be clear this season. 😂

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

Get excited about the road-trips. I believe we play in Memphis Vegas San Antonio and Birmingham. El Paso can be fun. I mean the road slate looks tasty and home games are always accompanied with tailgates, Green Brigade shows, the elements and the march towards a bowl game, any game. I’m excited on 1.5.22.

GMG

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, p_phelps said:

I'm not renewing my season tickets this year. Not unless something changes at OC and QB. No reason to because it will be more of the same over half a decade,  we know what Seth is

Lol what 

Come on man that’s just ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 2

How to get excited for 2022 is pretty easy.    Show up at the Super Pit tonight, and if you can't be there, tune in on CBS Sports.  This is a game with HEAVY implications, and the winner sits squarely in the frontrunner's seat in C-USA.  How can you not be excited about that?

As for football, with each passing day that drags on, I'm getting less & less excited.  Yes, the schedule should be easier, but for y'all who believe that NT is going to beat SMU just because Sonny left, you must not know Rhett Lashlee and his backstory.   SMU hired him for the seamless transition he'll bring.  Meanwhile, our HC couldn't get a team ready to play if his hair was on fire (it'll still be the same-ol' same-ol' emotionless, distant, repetitive guy).  The players are going to have to dig deep again & do it themselves.
I'm also starting to doubt Bloesch will relinquish his OC role for the good of the team, and any good QB coach won't consider NT because they don't want to be JUST a QB's coach.   Be ready for another underwhelming hire as Joseph's replacement.    Sorry y'all.   If Littrell could pull a rabbit out of the hat here, I'd be thrilled.
For me, the only good things going are the players, Bennett, Bloesch, & Cobbs.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I was entirely ready to believe in Littrell again until the bowl game where he did what he always does and chokes in big moments. Especially against a team with a similar record that we should have beaten. What tells me that this upcoming year will be any different than the previous 5 years (aka 5 bowl losses)? He has still yet to prove he can develop a QB not named Mason Fine, he has hardly shown the ability to make competent hires other than a few coaches like Bennett (Passwaters came with Bennett) and Cobbs outside of the all-star assistants he had when he was first hired on here, and we are still waiting on those "#1 in C-USA" recruiting classes to prove to be true so excuse some of us if we aren't rolling out the red carpet on Year 7 of Littrell.

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2