UAB (1/6/2022)

greenminer

If our attendance depends on where players went to high school then we might as well give up.  You will get immediate family members and *maybe* some close friends (if they are hanging around town and not at their own school that’s isn’t UNT, that is).  Get the best players you can on the court and win….consistently. That is all.  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Well duh… but that won’t improve attendances in the short term. We have that and won’t a ncaa tournament game. Doesn’t help attendance. 

I’m really confused by this idea that we need to have local players to get fans to the game. Isn’t the connection for our fans to the university the university itself?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

I would like to add that it was neat to get a UNT segment from John Rothstein at the half.  I thought he made a valid point, stating that McCasland had to replace both Mo Gibson (OU) and James Reese (South Carolina) and yet has managed to keep the talent level high.  McCasland truly is a jewel for us.  

Edited by Tom McKrackin
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I would like to add that it was neat to get a UNT segment from John Rothstein at the half.  I thought he made a valid point, stating that McCasland had to replace both Mo Gibson (OU) and James Reese (South Carolina) and yet has managed to keep the talent level high.  McCasland truly is a jewel for us.  

Yep. Baker better pay more attention to promoting this program. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I’m really confused by this idea that we need to have local players to get fans to the game. Isn’t the connection for our fans to the university the university itself?

You would get 500-600 easy just to show up for Mitchell and Williams and Jones. Possibly more. You would get more with locals yes. Granted students are failing to show up. Student section is also dead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

To us yes. To locals not so much. This is not a power school. Now 10 years at this level and absolutely we will see 5-6 thousand in the seats. 

This (UNT) is not a power school and UAB is not a household name, either. Hopefully the AAC inclusion will get better turnout. Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple, ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, Wichita State.... There are going to be some really historically good basketball programs coming through the arena in the future.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 4