Portal DE Jack Powers - Nevada

97and03

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think this is what the portal should be used for though.   I think the portal should be used for instant-impact players to shore-up positions of weakness. 

I agree, but with two years of eligibility left, I look at this offer the same as offering a JUCO.  In fact, with the P5's poaching everyone in the portal, I would love to see us focus on the JUCO's where kids are now getting overlooked.  For instance, look at this young man that has committed to Florida A&M.

https://247sports.com/player/jordan-moore-84999/

He plays a position of need for us and was just a couple of hours away, yet it doesn't appear we were after him.  His offer list didn't jump off the page at me until I clicked on his high school profile and realized he had offers at that time from the likes of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Houston, LSU, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St, etc. prior to committing to TX A&M.  You can't tell me his talent has declined in a couple of years.

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree, but with two years of eligibility left, I look at this offer the same as offering a JUCO.  In fact, with the P5's poaching everyone in the portal, I would love to see us focus on the JUCO's where kids are now getting overlooked.  For instance, look at this young man that has committed to Florida A&M.

https://247sports.com/player/jordan-moore-84999/

He plays a position of need for us and was just a couple of hours away, yet it doesn't appear we were after him.  His offer list didn't jump off the page at me until I clicked on his high school profile and realized he had offers at that time from the likes of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Houston, LSU, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St, etc. prior to committing to TX A&M.  You can't tell me his talent has declined in a couple of years.

If they can't show up in the spring I would not take them. This is not only necessary from a development stand point, but would also insure their grades.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think this is what the portal should be used for though.   I think the portal should be used for instant-impact players to shore-up positions of weakness. 

Definitely. I would understand this kind of offer if it happened during the summer when there aren’t many options left and you need some more depth before the season starts, but it’s January. 

There is a surplus of players in the portal right now and there are high school players left with dried up offers. Hard to argue that the best value for our spots would be on these dudes who are backups at G5, FCS, and low-end P5s. Feels like we’re getting sucked into the trend while our roster is filled with quality underclassmen starters who we signed out of high school. 

• Upvote 3

Chose ECU over North Texas:

“They said it’s a fun defense to play in,” Powers said in an interview with Hoist The Colours prior to his decision. “I think it’s a promising program to play in for the future. The coaches have done a great job in recent years with the team. It’s going to be a fun defense to play in for the coming years.”

ECU offered Powers just a week ago, but things moved quickly with the California native having to commit and enroll for the spring semester, which begins Monday, Jan. 10.  He also had an offer from North Texas.

Link:  https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Article/Jack-Powers-Nevada-Transfer-Commits-to-ECU-Football-180011133/