Transfer Portal

Wag Tag

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

For all you “get off my lawn” guys who hate the NIL era.  Now the payments are just above board and bigger.  The Same dominant programs can pay the most money and get away with it. 

Doesn't make it cool. And the no penalty transfer rules happening alongside pay for play makes it all even more ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

For all you “get off my lawn” guys who hate the NIL era.  Now the payments are just above board and bigger.  The Same dominant programs can pay the most money and get away with it. 

Let them pay it and be NFL-lite officially. We need this schism to occur yesterday. The power teams with all the money, fans, and media need to have their own dedicated setup.

Look, we have zero in common with Texas or Texas A&M. They get 90k or more for a game. They generate hundreds of millions in revenue. Anyone who thinks we are equals is just fooling themselves.

Instead, give North Texas and others a level of play that is more equal, more opportunistic for an actual national championship, and fits our budget and fanbase size, both in number and in producing revenue. Exactly one level of play in football doesn’t have a true champion…one…at it’s this ridiculous G5 level of quasi-FBS/FCS football. Give UAB, La Tech, Tulsa, Middle Tennessee, Florida Atlantic, and Colorado State the same chance to win a national championship and see what that does for the alumni, fans, students, players, and coaches. It’d be amazing…

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Let them pay it and be NFL-lite officially. We need this schism to occur yesterday. The power teams with all the money, fans, and media need to have their own dedicated setup.

Look, we have zero in common with Texas or Texas A&M. They get 90k or more for a game. They generate hundreds of millions in revenue. Anyone who thinks we are equals is just fooling themselves.

Instead, give North Texas and others a level of play that is more equal, more opportunistic for an actual national championship, and fits our budget and fanbase size, both in number and in producing revenue. Exactly one level of play in football doesn’t have a true champion…one…at it’s this ridiculous G5 level of quasi-FBS/FCS football. Give UAB, La Tech, Tulsa, Middle Tennessee, Florida Atlantic, and Colorado State the same chance to win a national championship and see what that does for the alumni, fans, students, players, and coaches. It’d be amazing…

That will be a drastic reduction income for most programs including ours.  FCS level football didn’t work in the DFW area competing for attention with pro teams and FBS teams.  I grew up in Denton during the FCS (I-AA) era.  They might as well have been playing D-II football.  My friends who were football players and fans would have rather gone to a high school game. Some Free tickets to the game were turned down.  I had to let go of my companion season tickets RECENTLY because I can’t consistently sell the extras or give them away.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

If there is going to be an NFL lite league, why associate it with a university at all? 100K fans go to see Alabama play, not a group of elite athletes. If these teams want to spin off and form their own league, let them but I see no reason to have them tied to a college at all. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenPatriot said:

If there is going to be an NFL lite league, why associate it with a university at all? 100K fans go to see Alabama play, not a group of elite athletes. If these teams want to spin off and form their own league, let them but I see no reason to have them tied to a college at all. 

While I agree with you in theory, the reality is that the college is gonna make the money off of this--that's the golden goose for those power teams in power conferences that get all the TV money. 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:40 AM, untjim1995 said:

While I agree with you in theory, the reality is that the college is gonna make the money off of this--that's the golden goose for those power teams in power conferences that get all the TV money. 

End of the day even though they won't admit it most college presidents are only concerned about the bottom line of how much money it brings in. As long as they're getting these ungodly amount of Revenue they're not going to make a big effort to change. So as far as saying these are student-athletes we all know that's a joke. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

On 1/13/2022 at 11:44 AM, southsideguy said:

giving a 18 yo can 50k plus what could go wrong?  I know some will give back to their families but some will get into trouble.  I sure they will have to pay income tax on the money?  What do you think the non athlete student will think about all this?

I’m pretty sure that if there is a promising non-athlete Accounting major that is going to be a future CPA stud, there is nothing preventing a Ryan type company from paying the student for use of their name, image, or likeness.  Have at it.  

(Maybe a music student would have been a better example. )