What is our saying?

SigmaGreen

On 1/4/2022 at 10:56 AM, Big Z said:

Back in the day we had 40,000 fans at the Cotton Bowl and boy let me tell you about for the next 10 years…

Have I told you about the time we beat Cincinnati at Texas Stadium, 27-25? It was the only game we won in that entire miserable 1972 season. You should have been there!

Go Mean Green!

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2022 at 10:32 AM, SilverEagle said:

My daughter-in-law is a TCU graduate, and a very loyal fan of the Frogs. So, whenever they have done anything noteworthy in sports, I simply send her a text that says, "Riff Ram".  It's part of their very unique school yell that has survived the 1920's....... or whenever it was first uttered.  And I have to confess that I feel a little bit of envy after the exchange with her. Theirs is very unique, even though by today's standards it's an archaic and dumb yell. 

But at least ours is very generic..............😎.

I sure you would feel a lot less envious if we won more.  🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I sure you would feel a lot less envious if we won more.  🤷🏽‍♂️

It's not their overall winning record that I am envious of, it's their devotion to their history......goofy as that history might sound.  It's THEIR unique (albiet goofy) saying.  

Ours (as much as it might pleasingly roll off the tongue for some of you) is basically.....well.... the clip art of shout outs.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

It's not their overall winning record that I am envious of, it's their devotion to their history......goofy as that history might sound.  It's THEIR unique (albiet goofy) saying.  

Ours (as much as it might pleasingly roll off the tongue for some of you) is basically.....well.... the clip art of shout outs.

Having grown up in FW, TCU has always had a soft spot in my heart as I went to many games growing up at Amon G Carter and Daniel-Mayer Coliseum and saw great SWC games.

What I’ve always been envious of with regards to TCU is their connection to the citizens of Fort Worth. We have t had even a tenth of what they have gotten from their hometown. People in Denton either don’t care or actively loathe the existence of UNT sports. It’s baffling. Nobody else has that issue with their hometown. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2022 at 12:12 PM, Daddy Dumpsalot said:

Don't say anything. Just throw tortillas.

This is the only appropriate language.  I always keep a few tortillas in my trousers for the random occasion my school association comes up. If asked directly...  I first hit them a flying tortilla to the friendlies, issue a momentary 'guns up' only to transition immediately to a DX 'suck it', finishing with a double eagle claw. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, eppy4life said:

This is the only appropriate language.  I always keep a few tortillas in my trousers for the random occasion my school association comes up. If asked directly...  I first hit them a flying tortilla to the friendlies, issue a momentary 'guns up' only to transition immediately to a DX 'suck it', finishing with a double eagle claw. 

I'm guessing if someone sees you reach into your jorts, they'll be very relieved that the next step involves torts.

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/6/2022 at 12:17 PM, untjim1995 said:

Having grown up in FW, TCU has always had a soft spot in my heart as I went to many games growing up at Amon G Carter and Daniel-Mayer Coliseum and saw great SWC games.

What I’ve always been envious of with regards to TCU is their connection to the citizens of Fort Worth. We have t had even a tenth of what they have gotten from their hometown. People in Denton either don’t care or actively loathe the existence of UNT sports. It’s baffling. Nobody else has that issue with their hometown. 

About 10 years ago, my wife and I were coming back from a fall Colorado/New Mexico road trip and decided to stop in at the Panhandle Plains museum on the campus of WTA&M.  From the moment we entered the city limits of Canyon, and drove through the downtown area we must have seen a WTSU banner on just about every business we passed. I turned to my wife said "what are the chances we would ever see anything like this in Denton?". 

Here is an article in Texas Highways about Football in small towns in Texas.  

WEST TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY, CANYON

Last season was an auspicious one for West Texas A&M University: Home games finally returned to campus, and the Buffaloes ended the season with an impressive 8-3 record, a turnaround from the team’s 9-13 record during head coach Hunter Hughes’ first two seasons. The opening of the new Buffalo Stadium in 2019 marked the first time since 1959 the West Texas A&M Buffaloes actually played home games on the university’s grounds. Previously, home games were held at Kimbrough Stadium (recently renamed to Happy State Bank Stadium), north of Canyon. The new field brought a fresh wind of excitement back to Canyon and its Division II team.

Underneath three flags, a statue of West Texas A&M's buffalo mascot on a platform reading "Citizens Bank Plaza"

The white buffalo sculpture honors West Texas A&M’s mascot

The new stadium introduced new traditions. For every home game, WTAMU now closes down 26th Street—which bisects the campus and runs directly toward the stadium—to host the university-sanctioned Buffalo Block Party. More than 60 businesses and vendors occupy the block, which opens to the public four hours before kickoff. Area banks cook hot dogs on enormous smokers, student organizations hand out noisemakers and T-shirts, and local bands provide live music beneath towering elm trees.

The festive atmosphere increases exponentially for homecoming weekend (scheduled for Oct. 16). The Canyon Chamber of Commerce hosts a citywide barbecue called the Canyon Chamber Chow-Down. This year, it will be held in the downtown square. A single admission price includes ribs and brisket. The evening pep rally features student-led chants and music.

During games, the university’s mascot, a bison named Thunder XIV, hangs out on the field in a designated area. In the past, trained students would run the animal across the field after each touchdown, but that custom has ceased due to safety concerns. The live mascot tradition dates to bison purchased in 1922 from Col. Charles Goodnight’s historic herd.

Another monument to the school’s mascot is the white buffalo sculpture, located in the middle of Citizens Bank Plaza near the southern entrance to Buffalo Stadium. The late Jack Hill, a local sculptor, designed and originally installed the 9-foot-tall, 1,800-pound landmark in 1967 at the old off-campus stadium.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

About 10 years ago, my wife and I were coming back from a fall Colorado/New Mexico road trip and decided to stop in at the Panhandle Plains museum on the campus of WTA&M.  From the moment we entered the city limits of Canyon, and drove through the downtown area we must have seen a WTSU banner on just about every business we passed. I turned to my wife said "what are the chances we would ever see anything like this in Denton?". 

Here is an article in Texas Highways about Football in small towns in Texas.  

WEST TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY, CANYON

Last season was an auspicious one for West Texas A&M University: Home games finally returned to campus, and the Buffaloes ended the season with an impressive 8-3 record, a turnaround from the team’s 9-13 record during head coach Hunter Hughes’ first two seasons. The opening of the new Buffalo Stadium in 2019 marked the first time since 1959 the West Texas A&M Buffaloes actually played home games on the university’s grounds. Previously, home games were held at Kimbrough Stadium (recently renamed to Happy State Bank Stadium), north of Canyon. The new field brought a fresh wind of excitement back to Canyon and its Division II team.

Underneath three flags, a statue of West Texas A&M's buffalo mascot on a platform reading "Citizens Bank Plaza"

The white buffalo sculpture honors West Texas A&M’s mascot

The new stadium introduced new traditions. For every home game, WTAMU now closes down 26th Street—which bisects the campus and runs directly toward the stadium—to host the university-sanctioned Buffalo Block Party. More than 60 businesses and vendors occupy the block, which opens to the public four hours before kickoff. Area banks cook hot dogs on enormous smokers, student organizations hand out noisemakers and T-shirts, and local bands provide live music beneath towering elm trees.

The festive atmosphere increases exponentially for homecoming weekend (scheduled for Oct. 16). The Canyon Chamber of Commerce hosts a citywide barbecue called the Canyon Chamber Chow-Down. This year, it will be held in the downtown square. A single admission price includes ribs and brisket. The evening pep rally features student-led chants and music.

During games, the university’s mascot, a bison named Thunder XIV, hangs out on the field in a designated area. In the past, trained students would run the animal across the field after each touchdown, but that custom has ceased due to safety concerns. The live mascot tradition dates to bison purchased in 1922 from Col. Charles Goodnight’s historic herd.

Another monument to the school’s mascot is the white buffalo sculpture, located in the middle of Citizens Bank Plaza near the southern entrance to Buffalo Stadium. The late Jack Hill, a local sculptor, designed and originally installed the 9-foot-tall, 1,800-pound landmark in 1967 at the old off-campus stadium.

Yep and the square in Denton has no support except East Side. I use to like the square at night but not anymore….it has become a circus. 

Things like this are so easy to do, but Denton's excuse has always been hurting TWU's feelings.  Considering they don't have a football program, we should invite them to join in.  Then again, something like this takes planning and a partnership between the city and the university.  Canyon understands the importance and economic impact WTAMU and its students bring to their town and help cultivate the relationship.  Denton ignores it.