Outrageous early prediction

casual fan

6 minutes ago, casual fan said:

Outrageous early prediction:

If Littrell is left alone, UNT will win 9 to 11 games next year.  His overall record will be 46 to 48 wins and 41 or 42 losses.  Some P5 schools will take a long look at him and try to hire him away.  You can tell me how stupid I was a year from now.

I agree with you with one stipulation. This QB coach/possible OC hire has to be a homerun.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

OOC is SMU, Texas Southern, UNLV, and Memphis.

SMU is probably a loss based on history

TSU should be a win

UNLV and Memphis are both in down cycles

So that's a pretty good shot at 3-1 in OOC -IF- UNT has a QB.  That's a big "if".

I can't find the CUSA schedule but I recall a prior discussion that said we should be on the weaker side of it this coming year.  Anyone have details?

Hope springs eternal but maybe a good season?

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, casual fan said:

If Littrell is left alone, UNT will win 9 to 11 games next year.  His overall record will be 46 to 48 wins and 41 or 42 losses.  Some P5 schools will take a long look at him and try to hire him away.  You can tell me how stupid I was a year from now.

Stop smoking the strong stuff 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, casual fan said:

Can I just go ahead and tell you now?  

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, TripleGrad said:

OOC is SMU, Texas Southern, UNLV, and Memphis.

SMU is probably a loss based on history

TSU should be a win

UNLV and Memphis are both in down cycles

So that's a pretty good shot at 3-1 in OOC -IF- UNT has a QB.  That's a big "if".

I can't find the CUSA schedule but I recall a prior discussion that said we should be on the weaker side of it this coming year.  Anyone have details?

Hope springs eternal but maybe a good season?

2-2 is the bare minimum in OOC play. Losing to UNLV is firable, given SL can't get players in here to beat the likes of Smug and Memphis. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, casual fan said:

Some P5 schools will take a long look at him and try to hire him away. 

This is the hardest part to believe as realistic. Even if we won 9-11 games, P5 donors (who evaluate candidates much more surface level than ADs) would be scared off by his record the last 3 seasons. 

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, TripleGrad said:

Unless something moves in CUSA membership for next season, the CUSA portion of the schedule should be a simple reversal of this season. Home vs USM, LT, Rice, FIU and at Marshall, UAB, UTEP, UTSA.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, casual fan said:

From your lips to God’s ears. 🙏 

12 minutes ago, Texas Stranger said:

Unless something moves in CUSA membership for next season, the CUSA portion of the schedule should be a simple reversal of this season. Home vs USM, LT, Rice, FIU and at Marshall, UAB, UTEP, UTSA.

I think the Sun Belt defectors are trying to find a way to leave a year early. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Absolutely. Just saying even if an Littrell’s season caught the eye of an AD and they gave him excuses and reasons why the previous season records weren’t as good, donors wouldn’t.

If Seth wins 8-10 games and there is no outside interest then Wren needs to offer a contract extension very favorable to UNT. A 2 year extension with a minimum buyout, and no raise. As an AAC coach his compensation is in line with the schools that are staying. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

Three teams leave early so next year’s conference schedule is in flux. I would guess we have an extra cross over game to fill SoMiss’ spot. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Three teams leave early so next year’s conference schedule is in flux. I would guess we have an extra cross over game to fill SoMiss’ spot. 

Yeah Southern Miss and the Marshall game (assuming that was going to be a return game there) both need to get filled. Hoping for WKU and MTSU. Sloppy toppers are past due for a ass kicking courtesy of us, and hope we can give one more to MTSU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

This is the hardest part to believe as realistic. Even if we won 9-11 games, P5 donors (who evaluate candidates much more surface level than ADs) would be scared off by his record the last 3 seasons. 

Kansas hired Lance Leipold after he went 37-33 at Buffalo. He went 2-10 this year. 

Indiana hired Tom Allen who was the DC at S. Florida and 0-0 as a head coach.  He went 2-10 this year.

Geogia Tech hire Geoff Collins after he went 15-10 at Temple.  He went 3-9 this year and 9-25 overall.

There are a dozen similar stories with P5 schools.  There will be schools looking for HCs.

If Littrell has a 9 or 10 win season and a record of 47-42 he will get looks.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Not even considering the 2022/2023 season, Seth Littrell is already a first ballot UNT Hall of Famer. No need to look at his overall record.  Many will point to the number of times he has taken us to a bowl game. No other UNT coach would have done more. (Although you automatic go with a .500 record and a few 5 win schools make it)

Move over Hayden Fry. Boys and girls, we are experiencing UNT history. Enjoy the ride and greatness of one Seth Littrell. I can see it a few years from now, fellow UNT Hall of Fame QB, Derek Thompson welcoming Seth as the newest member. 

As they say, only at North Texas. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

If 8-4 is the best Littrell can do with this roster and next year's schedule, I'm going to be disappointed...

It's not out of the question to expect 10 wins next season. Littrell showed something the back half of the season....he has (on paper) maybe his most talented (depth wise) team coming back next season and without a doubt his easiest schedule.

OOC is FCS, UNLV (2-10 this year), Memphis 6-6 and SMU at home. 3-1 should be the expectation

CUSA is terrible. 

Despite the bowl performance, we have momentum and there's no one in CUSA that is a no brainer loss next year.

10-2 should be the bar. His second half turnaround bought him another year. ONE MORE year. It's time to get out of the mud. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1