Rice (1/1/22)

greenminer

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

@UNTFan23 I'm eyeballing UAB and LT.

UAB scored 49 in 1H today (vs. UTSA)
LT scored 53 in 2H today

...FIU scored even more than that (55 half, 95 total) but take that with a thick grain of salt.  vs. St. Thomas (FL)

Can’t put much weight on what anyone does against UTSA. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Yeah. I guess that answers if Wright is healthy. Started 80 games at Washington university to playing garbage time for us. Must be in Macs doghouse. 

Heard earlier he pulled a hamstring and that is why he hadn't been playing much.  Never heard confirmation if that was true, but I think someone metioned that on here a couple of weeks ago.

I was hoping Stone could be a sharpshooter off the bench.  Still hope he becomes that for us, but I felt like he was pressing earlier in the year.

• Upvote 1

One other thought fro today's game.  Loved Jones attacking the rim.  He had two ESPN Top 10 worthy drives.  One  finish with a reverse lay in and the other right down the lane finishing with his left hand.  Would love to see more of that from him.

Perry, Jones, Scott, Osumane all return next year.  Never thought I would say this, but I am going to miss JJ.  He is incredible doing the dirty work.  Comes up with loose balls, plays great defense and rebounds like he is a half a foot taller.   Big fan of what he does every game.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Heard earlier he pulled a hamstring and that is why he hadn't been playing much.  Never heard confirmation if that was true, but I think someone metioned that on here a couple of weeks ago.

I was hoping Stone could be a sharpshooter off the bench.  Still hope he becomes that for us, but I felt like he was pressing earlier in the year.

Yeah and Stone wasn’t with the team today. No clue where he is. 

Wright did finally play today and actually looked decent. Even knocked down a 3 and grabbed a few boards. Granted it was against Rice scrubs. Hopefully he can give us 10 solid minutes a game soon. 

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

One other thought fro today's game.  Loved Jones attacking the rim.  He had two ESPN Top 10 worthy drives.  One  finish with a reverse lay in and the other right down the lane finishing with his left hand.  Would love to see more of that from him.

The reverse lay up  was a thing of beauty. I audibly said "wow" when he did it. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Coach Mac is really something. This is the best coached UNT BB team I have seen.

After I got in my car leaving the game, I was listening to the post game show on the radio. They mentioned to Grant that they wouldn't hold him too long so he could get home and watch the Sugar Bowl. I loved Grant's response. He basically said he was going to celebrate his daughter graduating from high school and this win. He then said he was not concerned about the Baylor Bears because he was all about Seth Littrell and Mean Green football. He is not only a great coach, he is a great supporter and ambassador for the school we love. I guarantee you wouldn't hear SL say something like that if the tables were turned. He would probably be so happy that they let him leave early so he could watch OU.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I heard he may get an additional medical redshirt year due to his injury.

No way. Can’t see that happening for two reasons.

1. For a medical redshirt you need to prove you missed two seasons due to injury. He has only missed one due to injury.

2. The season he missed was last season, when he was already a redshirt senior. He already got an extra season for last year. It doesn’t make sense for him to get two extra seasons for missing just one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

No way. Can’t see that happening for two reasons.

1. For a medical redshirt you need to prove you missed two seasons due to injury. He has only missed one due to injury.

2. The season he missed was last season, when he was already a redshirt senior. He already got an extra season for last year. It doesn’t make sense for him to get two extra seasons for missing just one.

Never know. He played at Ark state. Date a year south redshirt. Then played 3 years and then redshirted last year and now is in year 4, but everyone gets an extra year if they choose due to Covid as well. 

With him he may just play for next 5 years still haha. Only guy that has really struck it through haha. 

7 hours ago, Venson said:

After I got in my car leaving the game, I was listening to the post game show on the radio. They mentioned to Grant that they wouldn't hold him too long so he could get home and watch the Sugar Bowl. I loved Grant's response. He basically said he was going to celebrate his daughter graduating from high school and this win. He then said he was not concerned about the Baylor Bears because he was all about Seth Littrell and Mean Green football. He is not only a great coach, he is a great supporter and ambassador for the school we love. I guarantee you wouldn't hear SL say something like that if the tables were turned. He would probably be so happy that they let him leave early so he could watch OU.

That's awesome. I know we are all worried about losing him, but maybe he sticks around for a long time. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Never know. He played at Ark state. Date a year south redshirt. Then played 3 years and then redshirted last year and now is in year 4, but everyone gets an extra year if they choose due to Covid as well. 

With him he may just play for next 5 years still haha. Only guy that has really struck it through haha. 

The logic behind the extra COVID year is that everyone’s eligibility would be frozen in 20-21 and then resume like normal in 21-22. If you were a redshirt senior in 20-21 then you get to be a redshirt senior again in 21-22. If your eligibility would’ve expired last season had it been a normal year, your eligibility will expire after this season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1