What's the Next Big Project?

Green Otaku

15 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Happy New Year to the entire MG nation!

As we wrap up the year and look forward to the future what's the next big project for the athletic department? We don't have much time before we join the AAC, so I think it's important to hit the ground running. I think we are all guessing the Athletic Center expansion will be next, but maybe someone has heard different. I would hope WB has his sights on being the next Cincy/Houston/UCF from day 1, and I hope he has the entire athletic department laser focused on that goal. So we better start spending and building like they did. 

Would to see us build a nice baseball stadium at some point.

• Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Great summary"

Legend500 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

Assuming the Super Pit remains in fundamentally solid shape, my priorities would be:

1. Athletic Center/Apogee Refresh: It's a good one, but the arms race in facilities includes amenities for athletes. With the impact of NIL, it's important to make sure our students are very happy with what they have compared with the competition. Additionally, while Apogee is still one of the better venues in CUSA or AAC, we need to ensure it stays that way. Doing the Center means also addressing Apogee's technology and display systems, so I'd include moving the main screen to its original WingZone location, replacing the corner board that exists and placing additional ones at each corner, finishing Apogee's electronic boards, and completing the lighting as originally designed. Seriously, even the lights at a facility make a difference, and the light stands and type at Toyota Stadium would make Apogee look even better.

2. Secure our agreements with local professional leagues for as long as possible: I hear it from other fans at other schools all the time - our advertising and academic agreement with the Dallas Cowboys impresses all. This should be extended at practically any cost, and be extended to include every major sports franchise in the DFW area.

3. Continue to assist the development of sports at UNTD: While a different University, everything UNTD achieves also helps home campus, and brings additional fans who have loyalty to the Mean Green. There's not many UTA, UTEP or UTSA fans who aren't even bigger Texas fans. We can leverage that, too. Plus, the thought of SMU basketball losing to UNTD has me indescribably turgid, and it also helps goal #2 viz UNTD's arrangements with Mark Cuban. Athletics at UNTD and making sure students at UNTHSC and UNTTCUSM have some loyalty to home campus it the way to total Metroplex domination. 

4. Football (Association Rules): Already hosting a great women's squad, UNT should go all in on starting a companion men's program. Association Football has a much younger and richer demographic than any other sport in the US, and while it's been "going to be more popular than baseball" for decades now, it appears it may finally do that in the next 5 years. Facilities would require little additional investment, the program would benefit from the World Cup in Dallas in 2026, and the AAC has provided championship-level teams (Navy) and coaches (Wichita State's Ted Lasso, who is at AFC Richmond).

5. HyperPit: The SuperPit is like Fouts Field was in one respect - it will last well past it becomes badly outdated. While it remains the only Texas arena to host both the NIT and CIT, it still shows age, and risks becoming a Frankenstein's monster of patches before too much longer. In the medium term, a new facility is needed, and we best get started on it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

No, NT at Denton has no obligation or need to help Frisco and Dallas campuses.   UT could not care less about UTEP, UTA, etc.  The board over the whole UT system might, but only if it is not going to interfere with their massive funding of UT Austin.  

Worrying about either the SPit or Apogee is imo unnecessary.  Sure maintenance has to keep the facilities in top condition, but there does not need to be any major capital projects.  Unless it can be demonstrated that they would actually pay for themselves like suites at the SPit.

NT money now needs to go athlete facilities that help recruiting.   As stupid as it seems, build the gaudy dressing rooms and study areas that appeal to high school athletes. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Legend500 said:

Assuming the Super Pit remains in fundamentally solid shape, my priorities would be:

1. Athletic Center/Apogee Refresh: It's a good one, but the arms race in facilities includes amenities for athletes. With the impact of NIL, it's important to make sure our students are very happy with what they have compared with the competition. Additionally, while Apogee is still one of the better venues in CUSA or AAC, we need to ensure it stays that way. Doing the Center means also addressing Apogee's technology and display systems, so I'd include moving the main screen to its original WingZone location, replacing the corner board that exists and placing additional ones at each corner, finishing Apogee's electronic boards, and completing the lighting as originally designed. Seriously, even the lights at a facility make a difference, and the light stands and type at Toyota Stadium would make Apogee look even better.

Interesting about the lighting at Apogee, how was it supposed to be originally? 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

. I would hope WB has his sights on being the next Cincy/Houston/UCF from day 1, and I hope he has the entire athletic department laser focused on that goal. So we better start spending and building like they did. 

Another thread mentioned that tramp Hope and I think you take a look at that.  😂

• Upvote 2

On 12/31/2021 at 7:12 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

I have zero interest in increasing my donations or kicking in extra money for projects while Littrell is still running our football program. In my opinion, hiring a new football coach is our #1 project.

But don’t you see all that he accomplished with top resources in almost all the important  categories when compared to CUSA foes?  You mean you are not interested in a AAC West runner up season followed by another 2 seasons in the bottom third of our division?  Where is your school spirit? 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

14 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

What we need:

1.) New Head Football Coach

2.) Extend Grant McCasland and give him a raise (accomplished more than any other coach in our history)

3.) Re do the Super Pit

Unless something has changed, the plan is to build a new arena on the hill.  I don’t know why they’d dump more money into the Super Pit.  

• Upvote 6

If there were any doubts, this (in quotes) came from a Wren Baker tweet right before UNT was added to the American Athletic Conference.

”Expanded athletic center will be taken closer to Apogee! Expanded athletic center is key to the consideration of any additional teams.“  

We’re all mostly dreamers of futuristic venues on this forum or we wouldn’t be following this athletic program, but this is what I hope our new building project in Apogee’s south end zone will look a little like?

One thing not shown on the one in the below link would be a large Video screen on top the facility.  That would stop the need for  smaller video screens at Apogee which would not be readable.   

https://today.appstate.edu/webcams/end-zone

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I just don get what the problem is with the current AC?  I mean it's not brand new but it is not that much older than Apogee as I can tell.  If size is a concern, just build out a separate facility instead of revamping the one that is already there.  I am not in construction but my brother in law is and he tells me construction costs are through the roof as is lumber and other materials. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I just don get what the problem is with the current AC?  I mean it's not brand new but it is not that much older than Apogee as I can tell.  If size is a concern, just build out a separate facility instead of revamping the one that is already there.  I am not in construction but my brother in law is and he tells me construction costs are through the roof as is lumber and other materials. 

This… Build a state of the art weight room, rehab and trainers facility on the backside of the IPF. 12,000sq ft… Take the space from the existing wt room ( 6,000 sq ft)and expand the meeting rooms. Move the score board. And open up the deck for games.

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Biggest issue is the weight room. Our weight room is smaller than most and used by all sports, not just football. 
Also, when the AC was built we didn’t have the staff size we have now with analysts and recruiting staff. Need more office space. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Various reasons. On the practical side it's as @97and03 pointed out:

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Biggest issue is the weight room. Our weight room is smaller than most and used by all sports, not just football. 
Also, when the AC was built we didn’t have the staff size we have now with analysts and recruiting staff. Need more office space. 

Building a separate facility would not be ideal, even if it's close you would want the convenience of having everything as integrated as possible. 

On the recruiting/perception/program building side: We need a showcase piece to convince recruits. Recruits care about this stuff, and if we want to elevate our recruiting profile  it is something we need to invest in. WB said as much when we joined the AAC. And no, I'm not saying expanding the AC will automatically bring in 4 and 5 star recruits, it's would just be another tool at our disposal like the IPF. 

• Upvote 3