Season Tickets/Attendance

Pseudo Nym

Seeing this topic brought up many times over the years and starting to come back again and wanted to share my observations from living in the North Texas area for eight years and having season tickets to the Dallas Cowboys at Texas Stadium and a few in AT&T Stadium, and a half season package with the Mavs after they made the Finals (didn't renew after they choked in the first round the following year) and the Dallas Desperados until they choked an undefeated season away in the first round of the playoffs!

Here's some food for thought (or chum for the dumb, depending on your perspective):

1) North Texas (the geographic area) fans will support a winner, regardless of sport or level.  There's pictures and stories from the Brahmas hockey team and the junior hockey team in Frisco (Tornadoes) that reflect a sold out arena when they're winning and pitifully empty when they don't.

2) Even when winning, fans show up late.  Countless times at various games from the Mavs to Stars to the Cowboys, it may be half full through the first quarter or period and then it fills up -the social phenomenon of "being seen" is at play a lot but this is part of the identity of the fans in the area.

3) Having season tickets does not make you more of a fan and not having them doesn't make you less of a fan.

4) Canceling UNT season tickets when you haven't moved to a different location and especially if you have had them for consecutive years does send a message.  The message is: what you're selling, is no longer worth it.  (absent articles saved on this topic in my database, google scholar has many studies on ticket sales at sporting events, down to P5, Mid-Major sports specifically, including mine I believe on UNT MBB ticket sales from way back when)

5) You can support your team from the comfort of your own home, let no one shame you into paying for something you've already deemed not worthy of your hard earned moolah.

6) I have nothing to cite for this but I'm confident that if you don't renew your season tickets next year, the same or similar and perhaps better location at a lesser price can be had after the 2022 season.

7) "Go for the sake of supporting the student-athletes kids players" - either everything in life is to be earned and not given or there is some pity clause that exists and extends to adults in college ranging in age from 18-23 who play sports, disguised as children in college uniforms with fragile egos which demands of society to pay money out of pity which allows them a free round of bull sh*t disguised as "support." 

Mothers, fathers, family, friends by all means support your players and love them unconditionally (I genuinely mean that), do not expect of society to do the same.  This is not how it works, sports be damned!  Move past the sanctimonious dribble of reeling of the sacrifices, challenges, or adversity athletes face and appreciate that life, regardless of circumstance, is transactional by nature and a either an event or team is worth the price of admission or it's not.  if you think it is worth it, great, go and enjoy, and if you don't, don't be a sucker: JUST SAY NO! #NoMeansNo

-------------

Finally, this archaic belief in fandom that professes you mush "show up" no matter what or you'll be cast away in to the nether-reaches of fair-weatherness is a page directly out of PT Barnum's playbook.  

For those too young to know who PT Barnum is, all you need to know is that he coined the American maxim, "There's a sucker born every minute" and for decades since, suckers have bought everything from the "shake weight" (pictured below) to Coach Littrell coaching the North Texas Mean Green Football team for a 7th season, hoping (praying) to avoid a fourth straight losing season and 6th bowl loss for those of you rooting for a .500 season - talk about a double-entendre for #Hit6 - ya heard it here first.

If you purchased the shake weight, save yourself from further canvassing the depths of suckerdom and watch the Mean Green from the comfort of your own dwelling in 2022, where you can change the channel after the first quarter, pour yourself a Mighty Mean Green Margarita and watch a good football game/team on any other channel.

The aforementioned shake weight:

Jacking Off Charles Barkley GIF by NBA on TNT

And PT Barnum:

Hugh Jackman Dance GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

------

I'm not advocating for the purchase or non-renewal of anything, but some people beat others up on this topic as if there were some well of "fun money" in everyone's bank account.  Also, during one of our better years in football I was coaching overseas and with the time difference most of games started at 2am where I was at and between the Amazon Firestick and ExpressVPN I could catch most games.  This meant rearranging my sleep schedule to watch some good UNT football and it was worth it - buying tickets or going to a game in person is great if you can afford and want to go, but if you can't and don't want to, your fandom cannot be criticized for choosing to save your money.

I guess that was the point, if you feel criticized for canceling tickets for not going to games in person for any reason, this should help you find some perspective, if not an ally, and one that believe questioning another's fanhood or putting conditions on what constitutes a fan is clown-talk and we are not suckers to be bribed by false hope and superlative-laden mumbles.

Edited by Pseudo Nym
  • Upvote 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 10

1 minute ago, Hookset said:

Or, if you want to renew, go ahead and don’t concern yourself with others that are burnt out.

I go because my boys, my daughter in-law, my grandkids, and my friends enjoy tailgating, catching up. 10 win seasons (which are rare for most programs) would be icing on the fun cake. 😉 

STRAIGHT UP!

We used to have some awesome tailgates, a couple seasons we set up a volleyball court by the tennis courts on the corner across from the Fouts Field parking lot and across from the Super Pit, that's where we'd tailgate..... 40lbs of Fajita Chicken from La Azteca was standard, briskets, fried turkeys which almost burnt down some small tree that was there on the corner, an early morning (4am or 5am) setup, Landshark was the breakfast beer, we'd feed the cops, everyone was welcome walking down from the Super Pit parking lots, once had an Alum of atleast 60-70 years of age randomly Shotgun a beer we gave him (his wife of the same age showed no expression of surprise, this was a thing for him I guess haha) that got us fired up for the game!!..... Tailgating with friends and family wins the day, everyday! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

I choose to support our teams, especially when it isn't going well. Anyone can support the team when things are going great. It takes a lot more when it isn't.  Some choose to show up, some don't. 

But I will tell you that it the great times are much more enjoyable if you've had the fortitude to stick in tough times. 

With you 100% - as long as it's not defined by attending games in person.  Support comes in many forms for a variety of reasons..... I just don't like seeing people beat up for not showing up, regardless of reason, they can still support the team, want the team do well etc. without physically being there.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

Yeah I guess so about not showing up. To each his her own. But I also believe a marketing effort is in order.

2022 Come Home. 

I had friends posting pics of the bowl game on tv stating “it’s nice to see my Alma mater on tv.” Pics of their tv with the game on. Another friend alum stated, “this bowl game needed to be In the evening.” Yet they work remote and I am sure with some creativity could have found an afternoon off. These are UNT alums.  Same alum told a friend he supported FSU when asked who was his team.  There’s no connection to unt. None. Weird concept for me but same alum watches the unt score out of the corner of their eye. But why not even make a bowl game up the road? I plan work projects around mean green weekends.

Back to the marketing campaign. We all know a person or 5 like this. What if the athletic department gave incentive to us hardcores to bring one of these fans home. Maybe we get Mean Green bucks to use towards gear or beer or parking passes or prime tailgate spots or end zone cabanas something. The AD doesn’t have to do this alone. Imagine those alums attend the utep game or UTSA game. They maybe come to one more game or maybe the bowl where $25 tickets could be had.

My LSU buddy gets us. He’s not even a Tiger grad but he treks to Pasadena to watch them lose to ucla. He owns season tickets and treks to Baton Rouge often.  He says UNT needs a transcendent quarterback who wins and excites the fanbase. Then the AD has the ammo to sell the program and maybe that wakes the dormant alum. Tiger fan is new to Dallas and attended the unt game at ford. He’s new to the city and said smu is not Dallas’ team. Unt can totally be the metroplexes team when these stars align. But wren controls part of the equation, a big part,  we can influence other parts. 

Bottom line is we can’t wait for Seth to be fired. We can’t wait for the transcendent team to win. Next fall we could each invite a dormant alum to come home. Show them a good time and if those other things out of our control happen maybe they come back. 

2022 Come Home.

GMG

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

This is our program.  Don't let anyone keep it down because of poor coaching, or poor excuse decisions or even poor play!  Yell and scream if they are, complain like you own it, because you do.

We don't leave for a better perk or more playing time or support another school because they will pay us more. We will be here long after those types have all gone somewhere else.

Don't settle, demand better!!

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, tmjerm said:

I understand the rebellion but to get where we want to go our athletic department needs money.  I’m gonna continue to do my part in that.  No judgement for those who don’t but I feel an obligation to the PROGRAM (not any individual) as a fan and alumni to continue to renew in hopes it helps for a better future.  

I would take it a step further and say this is our university. Although I want (expect?) to field competitive programs my support isn’t contingent on it - especially one sport. Football is king but unless we are pulling a UCF or Cincinnati our visibility from sports isn’t going to increase that much from football. I would argue that our Bball tourney win got us more national recognition than any bowl or season has. 
So if you don’t want to spend money on season tickets, please continue your MGSF donation and consider putting that season ticket money into another sport or a higher donation. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Pseudo Nym said:

With you 100% - as long as it's not defined by attending games in person.  Support comes in many forms for a variety of reasons..... I just don't like seeing people beat up for not showing up, regardless of reason, they can still support the team, want the team do well etc. without physically being there.

Showing up in person is the one way to show support for the players.  Everything else is supporting the program, which players won’t necessarily directly recognize.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, NM Green said:

Yeah I guess so about not showing up. To each his her own. But I also believe a marketing effort is in order.

2022 Come Home. 

I had friends posting pics of the bowl game on tv stating “it’s nice to see my Alma mater on tv.” Pics of their tv with the game on. Another friend alum stated, “this bowl game needed to be In the evening.” Yet they work remote and I am sure with some creativity could have found an afternoon off. These are UNT alums.  Same alum told a friend he supported FSU when asked who was his team.  There’s no connection to unt. None. Weird concept for me but same alum watches the unt score out of the corner of their eye. But why not even make a bowl game up the road? I plan work projects around mean green weekends.

Back to the marketing campaign. We all know a person or 5 like this. What if the athletic department gave incentive to us hardcores to bring one of these fans home. Maybe we get Mean Green bucks to use towards gear or beer or parking passes or prime tailgate spots or end zone cabanas something. The AD doesn’t have to do this alone. Imagine those alums attend the utep game or UTSA game. They maybe come to one more game or maybe the bowl where $25 tickets could be had.

My LSU buddy gets us. He’s not even a Tiger grad but he treks to Pasadena to watch them lose to ucla. He owns season tickets and treks to Baton Rouge often.  He says UNT needs a transcendent quarterback who wins and excites the fanbase. Then the AD has the ammo to sell the program and maybe that wakes the dormant alum. Tiger fan is new to Dallas and attended the unt game at ford. He’s new to the city and said smu is not Dallas’ team. Unt can totally be the metroplexes team when these stars align. But wren controls part of the equation, a big part,  we can influence other parts. 

Bottom line is we can’t wait for Seth to be fired. We can’t wait for the transcendent team to win. Next fall we could each invite a dormant alum to come home. Show them a good time and if those other things out of our control happen maybe they come back. 

2022 Come Home.

GMG

Yes. This. 

Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining. Piss on my head and tell me it's piss, but make me believe better days are ahead. 

• Upvote 3

One thing I try to keep in mind, was that all during the realignment thing, we heard nothing from the AD. Of course, that didn't mean there was nothing going on behind the scenes. Obviously, there was a lot going on. Just because we're not hearing anything about our coaching situation, doesn't mean there is nothing going on. Wren did say that now that we're in the AAC, it's time to step up, not only in attendance, but in donations. So, if you can't see yourself supporting UNT football because of Seth Littrell, then move along and don't let the door hit you on the way out. It's silly to equate us to area pro sports franchises where revenue comes from numerous, abundant sources. Hell, we don't get TV revenue like the P5's, so ticket sales and donations are of paramount importance.  Throw a temper tantrum if you want, but I trust Wren Baker to make the best decision in the interest of North Texas. I don't like our current standing either, but I guess I'll hang in there a little longer.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I worry that we are feeling happy just to get into the AAC by a nose hair and are not wanting to make the investment needed to stay there.  I have read the other boards.  Please know that the existing teams in the AAC are happy we are joining because they see it as a way for them to improve their record and have a better chance to win more games.  And this Littrell situation just makes it worse for me.  I really like Wren and he made a fantastic hire with McCasland but darnit football is a very important hire as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pseudo Nym said:

STRAIGHT UP!

We used to have some awesome tailgates, a couple seasons we set up a volleyball court by the tennis courts on the corner across from the Fouts Field parking lot and across from the Super Pit, that's where we'd tailgate..... 40lbs of Fajita Chicken from La Azteca was standard, briskets, fried turkeys which almost burnt down some small tree that was there on the corner, an early morning (4am or 5am) setup, Landshark was the breakfast beer, we'd feed the cops, everyone was welcome walking down from the Super Pit parking lots, once had an Alum of atleast 60-70 years of age randomly Shotgun a beer we gave him (his wife of the same age showed no expression of surprise, this was a thing for him I guess haha) that got us fired up for the game!!..... Tailgating with friends and family wins the day, everyday! 

Totally agree!!!

Honestly don’t understand the down votes we are getting. So many colleges have a great tailgating tradition. Even when the teams are losing. 
I do hope that soon the game becomes the highlight of the day. 
Until then, KEEP CALM AND TAILGATE ON!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I worry that we are feeling happy just to get into the AAC by a nose hair and are not wanting to make the investment needed to stay there.  I have read the other boards.  Please know that the existing teams in the AAC are happy we are joining because they see it as a way for them to improve their record and have a better chance to win more games.  And this Littrell situation just makes it worse for me.  I really like Wren and he made a fantastic hire with McCasland but darnit football is a very important hire as well.

By Littrell standards McCasland is getting royally shafted. 

This is going to come back and bite Baker. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I never understood the attendance complaints. For a team that got rolled early in the season and had to go on a pretty incredible 5 game run to get to 6-6, I thought attendance was fine.. all things considering. 

You want to know how teams/programs crumble? When fan support disappears. So like it or not, you’re better off standing firm if you expect this team to accomplish the expectations you have for them. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, untcampbell said:

This is the team I chose. I have no other options, because I chose THIS team. There is not a single team in any sport on any level that I care about. Been here since 1980, and will be here as long as my heart continues to beat. Some here have been here longer than that, and feel similarly.

There are times I feel like closing my wallet, turning my back and walking away. That feeling passes fairly quickly because, well, what else would I do. This is my hobby, this is my wardrobe, this is my passion, this effects my mood (up and down), this is my blood. I joke sometimes that I am one of the 10 or so that care North Texas has a football team. That, on its face, is clearly inaccurate. But how many people are on the planet that really care more North Texas? 50? 100? And with full honesty, most people shouldn't care about their team that much. It creeps up on you. You invest a bit of time, money, heart break and joy in your team. You brag when appropriate, you invite others along for the ride, you realize your not alone. There is a point of no return. And then, you know its in your DNA. And your DNA ain't going away.

There is not an administrator, coach or player that has been here as long as I have. I love and support them all because they are currently shepherding my team. But they are all temporary. Enjoy them when you can, be disappointed when you can't. But I have a unique exuberance when we win, that very few fans of other teams will ever feel. Because winning is NEVER a given with my team. Every minute, every player and play of a win is special, exhilarating, joyful.

I can't wait for the opening kickoff, 2022. Really.

(admittedly, I am not as passionate about other North Texas sports, but I love and support them all)

GMG 

Scott, you are a great fan and I always got a big kick out of you at the basketball games back in the day. Stay strong, brother and I'll hopefully see you at the smut game.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

You either follow the program because it’s yours or you act like the other 98% of UNT alumni and walk away to cheer for some P5 giant and pro teams. It’s really that simple.

Some of you just go insane here expecting us to be something we aren’t. We don’t buy our millions of dollars on contracts. We don’t have more than a few dozen BMDs. We play in a terrible conference right now. We don’t have any TV revenue….like none. And you think the people who got fleeced by Jimmy Sexton are gonna admit that publicly? That’s not real good for job security.

Next year, when we win 8 games against a very easy schedule and SL gets his next extension, some of y’all might just die. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

19 hours ago, Pseudo Nym said:

I tell my kids this all the time!  

"You have a choir concert on Friday...I won't physically be there, but I want you to do well and you have like ALL of my support!"  

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1