Hi.  This is Joe.  I'm a first time caller but a long time listener.  

When a bowl game gets cancelled, like the Fenway Bowl or like (maybe) the Sun Bowl, who gets paid and who doesn't ?  Obviously, the schools do not get paid because they didn't play.  But what about the people that work at the stadium and had planned to work that day ?  How about the on field officials that accepted that game and now can't get another quickly ?  How about the TV crew that planned to be in Boston or El Paso and now they don't have a gig ?  The concession workers and the guys that park cars ?

And while I thinking about it, when the North Texas-LSU game tonight got cancelled, do the student workers that help me find a parking spot get paid ?  The basketball refs and the official  scorer and the concession people.  And what about the hot dogs and beer that was delivered to the Coliseum ?  And how about the fans ?  We bought tickets and now there's no game.

I'll hang up and listen.  Thanks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Perhaps contractors have cancellation stipulations in their contracts?

How about the UCLA vs NCST game today in San Diego that got cancelled just 5 hours before kickoff?  NCST officials were hot at UCLA not giving an earlier indication they were going to pull out.  The fans that travelled from NC have a huge loss financially and time.  I believe that was going to be an NBC game? not ESPN owned.  Network loss of programing and revenue too.  Expect more mess, especially if the FBS Playoffs have Covid issues, like the GA QB and WR who just cleared covid protocol in the past day.

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Perhaps contractors have cancellation stipulations in their contracts?

How about the UCLA vs NCST game today in San Diego that got cancelled just 5 hours before kickoff?  NCST officials were hot at UCLA not giving an earlier indication they were going to pull out.  The fans that travelled from NC have a huge loss financially and time.  I believe that was going to be an NBC game? not ESPN owned.  Network loss of programing and revenue too.  Expect more mess, especially if the FBS Playoffs have Covid issues, like the GA QB and WR who just cleared covid protocol in the past day.

Yea what a mess. UCLA was at Sea World having a good time but suddenly at gametime they have too much covid. I’ll be glad when we go back to the pre-Covid way of “if you don’t field a team, you forfeit and get the L”.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Expect more mess, especially if the FBS Playoffs have Covid issues, like the GA QB and WR who just cleared covid protocol in the past day.

I bet you they magically find a way to make the CFP games happen no matter what obstacles may be in the way, C19 protocols or otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I bet you they magically find a way to make the CFP games happen no matter what obstacles may be in the way, C19 protocols or otherwise. 

just watch the COVID Protocols will miraculously change for CFB Playoff games. Many realizing they are overtesting the athletes and staff and getting positives and many false positives with asymptomatic.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, untbowler said:

just watch the COVID Protocols will miraculously change for CFB Playoff games. Many realizing they are overtesting the athletes and staff and getting positives and many false positives with asymptomatic.

ya. you can't over-test. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

The difference between the CFP bowl games and the other bowl games is that the CFP committee has already said “if you can’t play, you forfeit”. These teams would run their defensive tackle out at quarterback if it kept them from forfeiting the game. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

I’ve seen a false positive rapid come back as a negative on PCR.

Definitely that can happen, which is why the rapid antigen tests come with two in a package. You are supposed to do the two, statistically eliminate the that small FP chance. PCR is the gold standard, obviously. 

However, I was being pedantic with "FP and asymptomatic"  - since obviously a false positive will not have symptoms. But again, that is why you take two rapid tests in the box. A (good) lab rapid test covers that in house though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Definitely that can happen, which is why the rapid antigen tests come with two in a package. You are supposed to do the two, statistically eliminate the that small FP chance. PCR is the gold standard, obviously. 

However, I was being pedantic with "FP and asymptomatic"  - since obviously a false positive will not have symptoms. But again, that is why you take two rapid tests in the box. A (good) lab rapid test covers that in house though. 

Yea, I’m not well versed in Covid testing supplies. I was just speaking on personal experience when my wife was swabbed for a rapid and PCR at the same time at her doctor’s office. She tested positive on the rapid and then the PCR results came back negative two days later. They reswabbed her that day to make sure and she tested negative again on the PCR when those results came back 2 days after that.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I had no idea they recommended you do two at home tests. I would question the stance on the exclusively asymptomatic false positive though as I imagine there are folks with allergies or influenza that could potentially test false positive. It is hard to deal in absolutes with something like this.