Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Seth is here to stay we need to accept it


Tom McKrackin
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

You can be reassured, but the reality seems the exact opposite of what is being told to you.

Look, WB and NS got played hard by Jimmy Sexton. Its what he does. And entire university had no idea how to play the game of keeping a successful football coach or letting him go. Hopefully, after this hard lesson, they will have learned, although I thoroughly expect WB to be AD somewhere else within 2 years.

What about building leaders and winning championships? 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

What reality? 

That money has almost nothing to do with it and it is more about internal politics? 

It all comes down to money. If the politics of the Lovelace’s keeps the pocketbook closed, keeping SL here, then money ain’t there, plain and simple. If you can’t afford to lose the donor, you ain’t got the cash, homie…

  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. It's not easy to recruit good football players to UNT. Every single UNT head coach has said that. 

2. Littrell isnt feeling much pressure to succeed. Holgerson was going to be out the door this year if he didn't succeed, even mentions the pressure a few times. Lo and behold, he goes 12-2 with a bowl win over Auburn.

3. UNT foolishly gave UNT a contract extension and cant afford to buy him out. So get comfortable.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

1. It's not easy to recruit good football players to UNT. Every single UNT head coach has said that. 

2. Littrell isnt feeling much pressure to succeed. Holgerson was going to be out the door this year if he didn't succeed, even mentions the pressure a few times. Lo and behold, he goes 12-2 with a bowl win over Auburn.

3. UNT foolishly gave UNT a contract extension and cant afford to buy him out. So get comfortable.

 

Preaching to the choir

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

What reality? 

That money has almost nothing to do with it and it is more about internal politics? 

I mean I’m not saying money is or isn’t the problem, but we definitely aren’t the most rich school in the conference. 
Our numbers for donors, money from donations etc are bottom of CUSA. I know that isn’t really apart of the firing process, that won’t happen at all, but it doesn’t make sense financially when you got to bowl eligibility after being at 1-6.

And It’s clear as day Wren and the Lovelace family, among other important people, really love Seth and would have to see some really bad things to fire him, mainly after the result of this past season.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

 

At this point, let me put on my tinfoil hat. There is no reason a sub .500 coach with an 0-5 bowl record and atrocious record against teams with a winning record should still have a job after 6 years at any program in the country. 

Disregarding the bowl record (which is very frustrating but bowls are kind of a joke) did you see Miami’s coach’s record? Much, much worse. Not making excuses but your statement isn’t true. Our peer institutions (which are the crappy programs not the elite G5) do hold on to coaches as long or longer. 

  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Cougar King said:

1. It's not easy to recruit good football players to UNT. Every single UNT head coach has said that. 

2. Littrell isnt feeling much pressure to succeed. Holgerson was going to be out the door this year if he didn't succeed, even mentions the pressure a few times. Lo and behold, he goes 12-2 with a bowl win over Auburn.

3. UNT foolishly gave UNT a contract extension and cant afford to buy him out. So get comfortable.

 

#1 Every single head coach has said that? 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Disregarding the bowl record (which is very frustrating but bowls are kind of a joke) did you see Miami’s coach’s record? Much, much worse. Not making excuses but your statement isn’t true. Our peer institutions (which are the crappy programs not the elite G5) do hold on to coaches as long or longer. 

Joke or not, Seth has won nothing here. Zero. And is getting paid millions of dollars to do it. While Chuck Martin hasn't won anything but their bowl against us, he was one point away from competing in the MAC Championship this year and his salary is around $550,000, so it's no comparison. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to take off my green glasses for a moment and be real for a minute.  And I will preface by saying I am with everyone else in the desire to have a more successful football program.  BUT, we have to be honest about UNT football, who we are, and how deep of a hole we're climbing out of.  Dating back to 1980, UNT has had 7 winning seasons.  SEVEN in FORTY years.  In 12 of those seasons, we won three games or less.  So outside of Dickey's run in the early 2000's, this program has been at the bottom of the barrel for four decades.  You can't argue that.  The proof is in pudding.  

Yes, Littrell has been .500 coach in his six years since coming to Denton.  But, this has been against the highest level of competition we have faced year in and year out when compared to our previous conferences.  Littrell has helped solidify this program in a better position than we've been in for four decades.  With all of the said, it is now time to "take the next step" and move up the ladder.  And it is my opinion that Littrell has earned that right for at least another season.  I also believe many of you will surprised at what this team will accomplish next season.   But even if Littrell is gone after next season, it's hard to argue that he hasn't at a minimum moved our program forward out of the ditches. 

  • Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Joke or not, Seth has won nothing here. Zero. And is getting paid millions of dollars to do it. While Chuck Martin hasn't won anything but their bowl against us, he was one point away from competing in the MAC Championship this year and his salary is around $550,000, so it's no comparison. 

The compensation bash is hypocritical.  So if Seth was the lowest paid coach in the conference you would be happy?  Winning solves everything.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Littrell is heading into arguably the easiest schedule he's ever had next season.

non conference is SMU at home, an FCS and Memphis and UNLV. 

I don't know the crossover games next season but the toughest CUSA games are @UAB and @UTSA (who I believe is losing a ton of players). I would argue we could be favored to win the west.

What happens if Littrell goes 10-2 next season? It's a very real possibility with the talent we have coming back and that really easy schedule.

 

*edit/additional thought

I have to think that our influential donor/Littrell bestie knows this, so if he's in the AD's ear he is saying: "next year is the year....let's have a big 2022 and get that weight room done!" Seems pretty logical

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are we in a better place because of Seth L. and what he has done. . . Yes! Over the last 40 yrs he has produced some of our best memories (DD would be the other one). Wren and Seth have put us in a position to move forward. . . 

But is 0-5 in bowl games, 4 losing seasons in six years, 0-1 in conference title games, and a .486 winning percentage what we want for our program as it moves into the AAC??? 

We need to take the next step.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

The compensation bash is hypocritical.  So if Seth was the lowest paid coach in the conference you would be happy?  Winning solves everything.

Not happy, but you get what you pay for, which in this instance, we absolutely are not getting what we pay for. If he was the lowest paid coach in the conference, I don't think many would scoff at a 6-6 season. He's working with what he has. However, knowing the resources, and pay incentives that Littrell is currently working with, it is not at all hypocritical to make a comparison between his salary and his results. That's the nature of the business

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Not happy, but you get what you pay for, which in this instance, we absolutely are not getting what we pay for. If he was the lowest paid coach in the conference, I don't think many would scoff at a 6-6 season. He's working with what he has. However, knowing the resources, and pay incentives that Littrell is currently working with, it is not at all hypocritical to make a comparison between his salary and his results. That's the nature of the business

That is such BS!! Coach is judged  by winning not his personal compensation. Fans would not be happy at any comp level with these results. 

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, StealthEagle84 said:

I'm going to take off my green glasses for a moment and be real for a minute.  And I will preface by saying I am with everyone else in the desire to have a more successful football program.  BUT, we have to be honest about UNT football, who we are, and how deep of a hole we're climbing out of.  Dating back to 1980, UNT has had 7 winning seasons.  SEVEN in FORTY years.  In 12 of those seasons, we won three games or less.  So outside of Dickey's run in the early 2000's, this program has been at the bottom of the barrel for four decades.  You can't argue that.  The proof is in pudding.  

Yes, Littrell has been .500 coach in his six years since coming to Denton.  But, this has been against the highest level of competition we have faced year in and year out when compared to our previous conferences.  Littrell has helped solidify this program in a better position than we've been in for four decades.  With all of the said, it is now time to "take the next step" and move up the ladder.  And it is my opinion that Littrell has earned that right for at least another season.  I also believe many of you will surprised at what this team will accomplish next season.   But even if Littrell is gone after next season, it's hard to argue that he hasn't at a minimum moved our program forward out of the ditches. 

I am not happy with anything you have to say here. But I don't disagree with any of it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

That is such BS!! Coach is judged  by winning not his personal compensation. Fans would not be happy at any comp level with these results. 

Dude, you're delusional if you don't think their pay has anything to do with their job status. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Dude, you're delusional if you don't think their pay has anything to do with their job status. 

I don’t know what job status has any thing to do with being a head coach. You already have the status and expectations by having that title. What comp level would make you happy with Seth? I think for most fans the $$$ amount doesn’t matter, winning does.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.