Torrey enters draft

greenminer

He didn’t have any eligibility left did he?

So, did he sit out the bowl game to preserve his health for draft? If so, I think he will have been our first player to do that. 

Torrey was playing on one leg all year. I enjoyed his career very much. That TD run vs. UTSA was one of greatest plays I have ever seen in person.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

No. He was a senior in 2020 and took advantage of the extra COVID season this year. He’s out of eligibility.

Darden did last year.

Or did they have to sit out because of grades? I don't think either said they were missing the bowl game because of the draft but maybe I just missed it. Either way, Torrey was a phenomenal athlete for us and I hope he finds success like Darden has. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Mrs. Esterhouse said:

Or did they have to sit out because of grades? I don't think either said they were missing the bowl game because of the draft but maybe I just missed it. Either way, Torrey was a phenomenal athlete for us and I hope he finds success like Darden has. 

https://dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/mean_green/loss-of-darden-leaves-unt-void-in-unts-offense-entering-bowl/article_1f21fc28-2577-53a8-9699-368577930c23.html

CBC71044-19DA-4DF7-8CA2-D391250037CD.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

For Darden, you just missed it.

Darden was announced days or weeks before the bowl game and we were all happy for the guy since he was our best shot at a draft pick in over a decade. The Torrey bomb dropped an hour or two before kickoff with the disclaimer “unspecified reasons”.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5
  • Pissed 1

5 hours ago, Mrs. Esterhouse said:

Thanks. Anything similar about Torrey prior to the bowl game? 

Not that I saw. But a Senior 1,200 yard rusher sitting out a bowl game is much more likely than him suddenly struggling with meeting grade eligibility requirements for the first time in 5 years of college.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Darden was announced days or weeks before the bowl game and we were all happy for the guy since he was our best shot at a draft pick in over a decade. The Torrey bomb dropped an hour or two before kickoff with the disclaimer “unspecified reasons”.

I was not happy with Torrey or any other player that skips bowl games.   However, my guess is that Seth was well aware Torrey was not going to play weeks before the game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I gotta say, I’m starting to come around on Seth. I’m losing my faith faster than I thought. I initially felt a new qb coach would be the trick but after watching Mississippi State get rolled by Tech tonight while Leach kept looking around dumbfounded with his arms crossed made me want to burn the whole thing down and get as far away from the AirRaid as possible. Bringing Harrell back might end up being an epic mistake. Bring in the rest of the Baylor leftovers including CAB or start over from scratch with Carthel.

250 passing yards and no interceptions? I will take that . I wonder if Maverick Micivor  enters the portal?

• Downvote 1

Darden was slated to be a 2nd or 3rd day draft pick already.    I can understand his desire to avoid injury in a bowl game, even though it did hurt his school

Torrey, as terrific as he has been for us (and much appreciated), may have benefitted from the additional bowl exposure.    At this point he is probably looking at UDFA status.

Just my opinion.    I hope an agent didn't give him bad advice and I hope DeAndre finds an NFL team to land on.    But, if that doesn't work out, you have to wonder if he will regret not playing in a bowl game in his senior season.

The bowls really sucked this year IMO.   So many key players either sitting them out due to the draft or transfer portal.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Our other “undisclosed reasons” has joined him in declaring for the draft.

Torrey didn't have eligibility left, so it's kind of a "why not try?" thing. 

I know Makyle was in his 5th year last season, so probably the same situation here?

And are we thinking they both opted out of the game because of this decision?

• Upvote 1

I hate players holding themselves out of bowls but I understand why they do it.

Injuries like the one Jameson Williams suffered last night are going to influence a lot of college players who think they will get drafted.

Though you'd think draft considerations might only impact the top draft prospects like Williams, even the late-round drafted players get money that would be life-changing. Bucs linebacker Grant Stuard -- Mister Irrelevant because he was the last pick in the 2021 draft -- signed a four-year, $3.5 million deal.

Williams will still get drafted but if Torrey hurt his knee in the bowl this year he wouldn't get drafted at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Practice squad jobs are still pretty good money ($9200 a week this past season). I pointed this out when Guyton left, and a bunch of people were ranting and raving about his big mistake. Seems to have worked out just fine for him.

Torrey playing a single game at the end of the season wasn't going to do anything meaningful for his draft stock.  He wasn't suddenly going to go from UDFA to a mid-round pick if he beat up on Miami (OH). Scouts got years of tape on the dude. 

Edited by Monkeypox
  • Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2