UNT Players Entering The Portal

UNTLifer

17 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Bring dad to coach QBs and get a waiver for Jr. - That could work.

No doubt that Chad Morris could be an OC and coach quarterbacks.  He did so successfully at Clemson for several years with something like a 41-11 record.  But it gets complicated.  He is still owed buyout from Arkansas.  I believe that whatever he would earn at North Texas might be deducted from the Arkansas payment.  It doesn't apply to high school jobs so the $124,000 that he earns at Allen does not affect the amount of his payment from Arkansas.  If he were to take a North Texas job I believe that whatever amount we paid him would be deducted from Arkansas buyout.  Pretty costly to get to coach your son.  I would think that we would have to give him a four year contract at a guaranteed salary in order to get him.  We might still get Chandler though.  I believe that he has a good chance to start for us in a year or two while he*s likely to sit behind higher-rated quarterbacks for the rest of his college career at TCU.  Lastly, would Chad have to coach Ruder to start over his son?  Ruder likely has more raw talent.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

No doubt that Chad Morris could be an OC and coach quarterbacks.  He did so successfully at Clemson for several years with something like a 41-11 record.  But it gets complicated.  He is still owed buyout from Arkansas.  I believe that whatever he would earn at North Texas might be deducted from the Arkansas payment.  It doesn't apply to high school jobs so the $124,000 that he earns at Allen does not affect the amount of his payment from Arkansas.  If he were to take a North Texas job I believe that whatever amount we paid him would be deducted from Arkansas buyout.  Pretty costly to get to coach your son.  I would think that we would have to give him a four year contract at a guaranteed salary in order to get him.  We might still get Chandler though.  I believe that he has a good chance to start for us in a year or two while he*s likely to sit behind higher-rated quarterbacks for the rest of his college career at TCU.  Lastly, would Chad have to coach Ruder to start over his son?  Ruder likely has more raw talent.

If the waiver is approved I would think Chandler would start day one. Chad made $3.5 a year at Arkansas with a $ 10m buyout. Obviously he would like to coach his son or he would of never signed with Arkansas. How to get around the supplement buy out clause. Pay him less or what he is making now and sign  Chandler to a NLI or have him make extra $$ with camps .Keep the $$$ in the family. 

Edited by Wag Tag

Just now, Wag Tag said:

If the waiver is approved I would think Chandler would start day one. Chad made $3.5 a year at Arkansas with a $ 10m buyout. Obviously he would like to coach his son or he would of never signed with Arkansas. How to get around the supplement buy out clause. Pay him less or what he is making now and sign  Chandler to a NLI. Keep the $$$ in the family. 

I think most contracts call for the salary to be within the "market"; just not to sure how closely they enforce. 

The only problem I see with that set up is what other qb would want to be here knowing coach dad and qb son.   I would think they would feel they are not going to get a far shake.   I think that is why Vizzo left and became an intramural qb. Or maybe he got tried of the beating he was getting.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Why can’t they do the NIL thing like a gofundme that we can contribute to?

I believe you will see something along the lines of the Texas group in the future. They have probably done the leg work to see what will work best.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 11:23 AM, GrayEagle said:

Lastly, would Chad have to coach Ruder to start over his son?  Ruder likely has more raw talent.

I think it’s unlikely Ruder’s performance keeps his son on the bench.  Ruder isn’t a Redshirt Freshman anymore and he got a ton of practice snaps here and at his previous school.  Ruder decision making appears to be very poor.  Regardless of who comes here at QB or at QB/OC coach I think Ruder starting will give us numbers similar to Aune’s.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1