DRC: UNT hires new volleyball coach

Brett Vito

Not blown away by this hire.   Third place in the Southland, doesn't impress in her one real year as a HC.   Prior year was covid shorted and she went 5-7.

Expected a lot stronger hire, not high on experience or record.  They did I think beat NT last year, but that is hardly noteworthy. 

Hopefully, Baker knows something that is not apparent.   Hope this is just not based on diversity objectives or budget constraints. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Man, based strictly on her experience as a player, I’m willing to hold judgment on this hire. All American and National Player of the Year while playing at UCLA.

Great player doesn't equal great coach.

My issue with this move, is that on the surface, it looks like a move down versus the coach NT had.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Oof. Kind of a head scratcher not going to lie. 23-18 record all time at McNeese State, and it was her first job as a HC which was only for two years?  Biggest win out of conference seems to be a 3-2 set win this year against North Texas 😐

Edited by Salsa_Verde

22 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Makes you wonder.  This job was posted with a max salary of around 50k which seems low for a hc in any sport.  Together with apparently no change in the football staff, I wonder if NT is in some kind of budget issue. 

$50k is comically low for a D1 head coach in any sport.  

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

So I reached out to a friend that coaches volleyball, along with his wife, on the collegiate level to get his take on this hire.  I felt like many of you as to not being overly excited about the hire.  His response was:

"I like this hire!  Strong ties to Texas which I think helps.  Also was JUCO and I've seen that translate well in the training aspect.  If she can make a big print on DFW recruiting they should be good.  Looks like the kid that entered the portal is staying to, which is big."

The kid staying is Rhett Robinson.

This friend was pretty critical of Palileo in the past stating that people had reached out to him about really good players from the area that were interested in playing at North Texas and he never returned a call, email, text, etc.  Anyway, take it how you want, but I also realize I scratched my head a little at the hiring of McCasland and Delong.

• Upvote 7

23 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So I reached out to a friend that coaches volleyball, along with his wife, on the collegiate level to get his take on this hire.  I felt like many of you as to not being overly excited about the hire.  His response was:

"I like this hire!  Strong ties to Texas which I think helps.  Also was JUCO and I've seen that translate well in the training aspect.  If she can make a big print on DFW recruiting they should be good.  Looks like the kid that entered the portal is staying to, which is big."

The kid staying is Rhett Robinson.

This friend was pretty critical of Palileo in the past stating that people had reached out to him about really good players from the area that were interested in playing at North Texas and he never returned a call, email, text, etc.  Anyway, take it how you want, but I also realize I scratched my head a little at the hiring of McCasland and Delong.

good info and it sounds like Palileo had worn out his welcome and having a sub-par season made an easy decision. If Robinson is coming back then that is a major break for the new coach. 

As for the $42K average per year, that does sound extremely low for a HC for any sport, much less VB which is higher on the totem pole of the minor sports.

• Upvote 2

https://meangreensports.com/news/2021/12/26/womens-volleyball-porter-named-unt-head-volleyball-coach.aspx

Kristee Porter

DENTON, Texas – Kristee Porter, who has served as the head women's volleyball coach at McNeese State the past two years, has been named North Texas's head coach, Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker announced Sunday.

"We are thrilled to welcome Kristee Porter as the next coach of UNT volleyball," Baker said. "From our first meeting, our committee was confident that Coach Porter was the right person to lead our volleyball program to the next level. She is a Texas native, a former three-time All-American at UCLA and has a strong pedigree as both a coach and recruiter. She is equally committed to the development of our student-athletes both on and off the court. We look forward to Coach Porter's arrival in Denton."

In two seasons at McNeese State, Porter led the Cowgirls to a 23-18 record overall including the COVID shortened 2020-21 season. In 2021, she guided her team to a 18-11 mark and a trip to McNeese's first conference championship match since 1999. The 18 wins was the most for the program since 2017 and a third-place regular season finish was the highest since 2006.

Additionally, McNeese volleyball placed three players on the 2021 All-Southland Conference teams for the first time since 2015. Freshman outside hitter Aryn Johnson was named to the second team while opposites Kendall Glueck and sophomore Macee Krpec were third team selections.

"It's an exciting time for me and my family to serve as the next head coach at the University of North Texas," Porter said. "I want to thank Wren Baker and the North Texas family for entrusting me with the future of this unbelievable program. This feels like a homecoming for me as a product of East Texas and I am looking forward to the future of UNT volleyball and continuing the rich tradition of our university and making our community proud."

A native of Tyler, Texas, Porter served as head coach at her alma mater Tyler Lee High School from 2017-18. She also had head coaching stints at Navarro College (2009-11) and Henderson State (2015-16), as well as time as an assistant coach at Colorado (2012).

Before joining HSU, she spent a year at the Volleyball Factory Athletics as Director of Volleyball Operations where she led the division's day-to-day operations, as well as hiring and training coaches at staff for close to 100 events nationally each year. She also worked in close coordination with USA Volleyball's Olympic Training Center to host multiple events and selected student-athletes that competed for Under Armour All-American and developmental teams.

Porter began her coaching career serving as head coach at Navarro Junior College in Corsicana, Texas, from 2009-12. She guided Navarro to three-straight winning seasons while appearing in the NJCAA post-season tournament each year. She also coached the Texas Image Volleyball Club's 15's Mizuno Elite team in Dallas, Texas.

Porter became an assistant coach at Colorado in 2012 and was responsible for assisting in the daily operations of the volleyball program including recruiting, training, communication with prospects, travel, and game preparation.

As a player, Porter was a four-time All-American (two-time AVCA and two-time Volleyball Magazine) at UCLA, and was named the Volleyball Magazine National Player of the Year in 2000. She was also a star on the basketball court and in track and field and was inducted into the UCLA Hall of Fame for all three sports.

One of the best athletes in the storied history at Westwood, Porter earned a bachelor's degree in history from UCLA in 2009.  She was an inaugural inductee into the Tyler ISD Athletic Hall of Fame in 2013.

After college, she became a member of the USA Volleyball Women's National Team from 2001-04. She also played professional volleyball internationally from 2001-10 in Puerto Rico and Spain where she won five league titles and two MVP awards.

Porter played her collegiate career under Andy Banachowski, the winningest Division I women's volleyball coach of all-time. Porter coached three seasons at Navarro Junior College in Corsicana, Texas. She guided Navarro to three straight winning seasons while appearing in the NJCAA post-season tournament each year. Porter also coached the Texas Image Volleyball Club's 15's Mizuno Elite team in Dallas Texas.

UCLA Athletics on Twitter: "Our last honoree is 3-sport star Kristee Porter.  Porter is @UCLAWomensVB's all-time kills leader, a 2-time 1st-team  All-American & the 2000 @VBMagazine Player of the Year. She was

UCLA superstar Kristee Porter was Pac-10 Freshman of the Year in 1998, a four time Volleyball All-American , Volleyball Magazine Player of the Year. Porter played in 110 matches (397 sets) and recorded 2,255 kills, 4,936 attacks, 1,119 digs, 270 blocks, 2,515 points and hit .281 for the Bruins. She is the UCLA career leader in kills, kills per set and attacks. Porter became the first Pac-10 player to record 2,000 career kills and 1,000 career digs. Her digs total (1,119) currently ranks 12th in school history. She helped the Bruins to four straight appearances in the NCAA tournament, advancing to the Elite Eight three times (1999-2001). Not just a volleyball standout, Porter also competed for the Bruins in basketball and track and field. In 2001 she ranked second in the Pac-10 in rebounding (8.1 rpg), third in blocked shots (1.77 bpg) and 11th in scoring (13.0 ppg). Her 39 blocked shots that season ranks second all-time in Bruins' history. As a member of the track and field team she scored three times at the Pac-10 Outdoor Championships. In 2001 and 1999 she placed third in the triple jump and in 2000 she was sixth. Porter graduated with a bachelor's of art in history from UCLA.

UCLA Career Statistics

number_button-4.gif   Kristee Porter
Kristee Porter
Player Profile
arrow.gif Class:
RS Senior
arrow.gif Hometown:
Tyler, TX
arrow.gif High School:
John Tyler HS
arrow.gif Height:
6-0
arrow.gif Position:
Forward
Year G-Gs Min/Avg Fg-Fga Pct. Ft-A Pct. Reb./Avg. A B St TP Avg
'00-01 22-19 639/29.0 115-278 .414 57-115 .496 178/8.1 14 39 30 287 13.0
'98-99 4-0 10/2.5 4-5 .800 3-7 .429 12/3.0 0 1 1 11 2.8
Totals 26-19 649/24.9 119-283 .420 60-122 .492 190/7.3 14 40 31 298 11.4
Pac-10 20-18 534/26.7 101-241 .419 48-90 .533 153/7.6 12 30 29 289 14.4

Career Highs
Rebounds: 16, vs. Arizona (1/20/01)
Assists: 3, at USC (2/10/01)
Steals: 4, last vs. Washington State (3/8/01)
Blocks: 5, at Old Dominion (12/18/00)
FG Made: 16, vs. Washington State (3/8/01)
3-pt. FG Made: None
FT Made: 5, last at California (3/1/01)
Minutes: 40, vs. Oregon State (2/25/01)
Turnovers: 8, vs. Georgia (12/30/00)

So, she's somewhat a Texas legend, one of the most accomplished female athletes since Babe Didrikson, a three year all-American, coached through college by someone proclaimed by many as the greatest volleyball coach ever, a top Pac XII player in basketball, a top Pac XII long jumer and tripple jumper in trac&field, spent several years after graduation from UCLA performing talent evaluation and selections for Under Armour all-star volleyball tournaments, coached Navarro JC for three years while making the NJC tournament each season, assistant coach at Colorado with a specialty of recruiting Texas, two year head coach at McNeese and did exceptionally well considering Lake Charles had everything short of snakes, locusts, and frogs thrown at it during the 2020-2021 school year.

I would say she has a more than adequate background. Anything more I am willing to trust to Wren Baker.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

good info and it sounds like Palileo had worn out his welcome and having a sub-par season made an easy decision. If Robinson is coming back then that is a major break for the new coach. 

As for the $42K average per year, that does sound extremely low for a HC for any sport, much less VB which is higher on the totem pole of the minor sports.

I can't see Rhett ever walking out. Sure there a lot of teams that would like to use her abilities, but North Texas is such her team. Many of her fans from Krum have been following her accomplishments since her junior high seasons, the North Texas fans love her, and I couldn't see her ever turning her back on her teammates.

And as for coaching salary, has anyone recently seen a North Texas coach not sufficiently financially rewarded for doing well? All North Texas fans know Kristee is going to be very well compensated if she wins.

Edited by ADLER

10 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

$50k is comically low for a D1 head coach in any sport.  

From what I can gather from a quick search, the average salary for a volleyball coach at a D1 university is anywhere from $42,000 to $48,000 per year.

4 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

The is a very disappointing hire.  She has nothing to do with Texas and she played for freaking UCLA.  She’s from Cali guys.

In what part of California is Tyler, Texas?

HIGH SCHOOL — Four-year letter winner in basketball … Two-time Texas District 5A MVP and a second-team all-state selection …Garnered All-East Texas honors her sophomore through senior years …U.S. Junior National Team member in volleyball … Volleyball Magazine Fab 50 selection … Player of the Year in the state of Texas her senior season … Lettered four years for coach Robin Hanssen at John Tyler HS in Tyler, Texas … Earned Gatorade Senior Southwest Region All-America accolades … Three-time district MVP and high school team captain … Junior Olympic All-Tournament team selection … Also lettered three years in track … Texas triple jump champion as a junior (41-10) … Texas runner-up in the long jump (19-9) … Also competed in the Texas State Championships in the 200 (24.2) and 400-meter (56.2) dash.

PERSONAL — Full name: Kristee LaBell Porter … Born: May 7, 1980 in Tyler, Texas … 

Don't California My Texas Vinyl Decal Bumper Sticker  image 1

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

I initially was not excited about the hire, but it is looking better as we see her whole profile, she seems to be one of the best players to have come out Texas HS ranks, now will that translate in W's?? Who knows because her McNeese W/L was not impressive. If she can coach up players this just might work out and appears the locker room needed a change. Will take a wait and see approach. Will this be a Benford/Stephens type hire or McCasland, lets hope for a Coach Mc hire.

11 minutes ago, untbowler said:

I initially was not excited about the hire, but it is looking better as we see her whole profile, she seems to be one of the best players to have come out Texas HS ranks, now will that translate in W's?? Who knows because her McNeese W/L was not impressive. If she can coach up players this just might work out and appears the locker room needed a change. Will take a wait and see approach. Will this be a Benford/Stephens type hire or McCasland, lets hope for a Coach Mc hire.

Kind of seems like maybe we are taking a bit of a gamble on a potential home run hire but making the hire a couple years earlier than you’d want. She has a heck of a VB pedigree. But there may be some more learning on the job that needs to take place. 

• Upvote 1

If she can bring a more dynamic offense to the board I'm game. Having Rhett come back would be a huge plus but we need to have a more varied attack. Yeah you should set your outsides a lot, but running quicks/slides with your middles and having a strong opposite are important too. Always felt like Palileo's offenses were so one dimensional

Not sure how our defense stacks up, but if Nebraska showed us anything this year, a quality defense can win you a lot of games.