Tick Tock

Pseudo Nym

“Clocks were invented to warn us. Tick (time is passing). Tock (time has passed).”
- Kamand Kojouri 

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??

UNLESS I'VE MISSED SOMETHING - SINCE THE BOWL GAME, NOTHING FROM THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT OR UNT REGARDING THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM OR HC

Which leads me to draw the following assumptions and conclusions about the AD and where things currently stands on the Football HC position:

1. AD is not firing SL
  2. AD hasn't made his mind up
  3. AD doesn't realize a significant portion of the fanbase is expecting a change at the position
  4. AD doesn't realize a significant portion of the fanbase is waiting to hear one way or another if SL will remain as the Football HC
  5. AD doesn't care about communicating with the fanbase about HC decisions
  6. AD's not working and enjoying the holidays

COMMENT IF I'M MISSING ONE AND I'LL ADD IT

HERE'S WHAT I KNOW IS HAPPENING TODAY AND TOMORROW ACROSS THE COUNTRY (Through either first hand knowledge, experience or news articles)

1. RECRUITING IS HAPPENING (See story below on Nick Saban recruiting on Christmas Eve)
  2. PROGRAM BUILDING IS HAPPENING
  3. COACHES ARE BEING INTERVIEWED
  4. COACHES ARE BEING FIRED
  5. COACHES ARE BEING HIRED 
  6. OUR US ARMED FORCES ARE DEPLOYED AROUND THE WORLD
  7. OUR ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT POSTED A PRE-RECORDED HAPPY HOLIDAYS GREETING ON TWITTER

I've talked to two coaching buddies who had phone calls about prospective jobs this morning, essentially a phone interview. 

I remember when Scott Skiles (Chicago Bulls) got fired on Christmas Eve and I remember my father visiting the troops for the holidays (he at least came home late at night or the next day on Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. TROOPS ARE WORKING TODAY, POLICE ARE WORKING, FIRE DEPARTMENTS READY TO ROLL BUT A 6-FIGURE AD TAKES THE LUXURY OF BEING HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS - GIVE ME A {***I***} BREAK)

Where's our AD?  What's the message?  Who's working?  Decisions - how have they not been made?? ANNOUNCED?? One way or another!

If you want holidays off, go be a High School AD or Coach OR WIN A REAL BOWL GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is unacceptable - jobs at the highest level of athletics don't come with holidays or days off - AD is what the 3rd highest paid UNT employee?  

This is now a joke and a half-assed effort at the highest levels of administration.

IF I MISSED SOMETHING FROM UNT OR THE ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT - TELL ME AND I'LL DELETE THIS - THIS IS FRUSTRATION FROM LACK OF DECISION MAKING AND COMMUNICATION WHICH HAS LED ME TO BELIEVE THE FOLKS IN THE PENTHOUSE SUITE EITHER DON'T HAVE A CLUE, DON'T CARE, OR SOMETHING ELSE

MERRY CHRISTMAS THOUGH.... HAPPY HOLIDAYS...... WHATEVER ELSE YOU GOT GOING, ENJOY!

Bad Santa GIF by Hollywood Suite  Russell Dickerson Singing GIF by Audacy.  GIF by Sky

Saban working on Christmas: 

https://www.outkick.com/twas-the-night-before-christmas-and-mrs-saban-was-really-mad-at-ole-st-nick/

Brief excerpts on Nick Saban working on Christmas Eve:

It was the eve of Christmas Eve in 2003 at LSU.

LSU coach Nick Saban was preparing for his first national championship game on Jan. 4 and the Tigers’ first since 1958 in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans against Oklahoma.

(EDITED OUT - FULL ARTICLE LINKED)

But it’s getting close to 6 p.m. and everybody is at Saban’s in-laws. He tells his wife and her mother, Linda Constable, that he has to go visit this recruit’s grandmother.

“What? You’re crazy,” Mrs. Saban says.

“But I’ll be back in time to celebrate Christmas Eve,” he tells them.

Miss Alberta is very upset about her grandson, and this was not a quick visit. She had a little drink, so Saban – ever the recruiter – tried to have one, too, even though he doesn’t drink.

“I was trying, man,” Saban said. “I go see Alberta Brown at six o’clock. And at 2 o’clock in the morning, I’m still sitting in the garage with Alberta Brown, and she’s telling me she doesn’t want Andre going to Wisconsin.”

Saban finally got back to his mother-in-law’s, but by now he might as well have been “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas Eve.”

“Terry’s mom almost killed me,” Saban said. “Because I wasn’t there for anything. I missed the whole family get-together because I was at Andre Rison’s grandmother’s house.”

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 4

17 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Who fires someone a day or two before Christmas?  It’s just not proper.

I don't think that way anymore, I hear you though and I respect your perspective.  Life doesn't stop for anyone.

For me, my mindset changed when a trainer once asked me:

"What's the difference between Thanksgiving and Christmas?"

I don't remember what I said but I remember his answer:

"While 99% of the country does nothing, you'll be training, getting better, and be a day ahead of everyone else."

------

It's stuck with me, and I recall being at a conference rival's basketball practice on Thanksgiving Day one year (my team couldn't practice that day) and his message to the team on their half-assed effort to begin practice:

"You don't have to be here, you get to be here" - And he talked about everyone who has to work on Thanksgiving and how "two hours of hard work doesn't take away from sitting on your ass later on today watching football and sending tweets."

Coach played in the NBA for a few years and was at the P5 level.... competition, work, commitment, all those things required to achieve great things don't stop for Santa, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy.

------

It's a mindset, you can still have dinner, meet family, go to church, but if you're not getting work in, someone else is and if you can live with being outworked, don't work in college athletics, don't work at our school!

Edited by Pseudo Nym
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, rcade said:

Seth Littrell will be just as fire-able Monday as he is today. Doing it on Christmas Eve or Christmas would bring national mockery to UNT.

I would add that after the bowl game, a savvy AD would have two press releases ready to go: one if we won, one if we lost.  Word it how you will, not doing so was a missed opportunity to have a positive communication with fans (thanks fans!) and recruits (we're passionate about our program and future opportunities for recruits) about the future of UNT football and address a ton of lingering questions.

Edited by Pseudo Nym
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

IF WB releases a statement that SL is being retained, then that implies he was "in trouble" during the season. IF WB does not put out a statement, then that implies he is supporting SL and tone deaf to many who want a change. Both actions will send a powerful message.

And if WB makes the official decision for a change, then we will have an infinite number of [additional] threads about the next coach.

Edited by Professor Lambeau
  • Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, Professor Lambeau said:

IF WB releases a statement that SL is being retained, then that implies he was "in trouble" during the season. IF WB does not put out a statement, then that implies he is supporting SL and tone deaf to many who want a change. Both actions will send a powerful message.

And if WB makes the official decision for a change, then we will have an infinite number of [additional] threads about the next coach.

We have infinite threads about firing the HFC.....

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

There is no way Baker pushes for a change unless the BMDs come to him.  Why would he stick his neck out when he does not have to since SL was not his hire and he runs a risk of replacing him with someone performs worse?  All he has to do is let the process work itself out.  Either the HFC will figure it out or the BMDs will start making noise and build support.  I have seen nothing that makes me think the BMDs are anything other than slightly annoyed at this point. 

Maybe the faster way to see results than go through a regime change is to pony up some extra NIL money for a top QB prospect.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/24/2021 at 3:25 PM, Pseudo Nym said:

I would add that after the bowl game, a savvy AD would have two press releases ready to go: one if we won, one if we lost.  Word it how you will, not doing so was a missed opportunity to have a positive communication with fans (thanks fans!) and recruits 

"WORD IT HOW YOU WILL"

Word it however you'd like, address what ever you'd like, say or don't say anything about the HC, doing/saying nothing was a missed opportunity..... this board clearly illustrates there's some strong view from the Alums/Fans about the Football HC Position.

This board does a huge service to the athletics department, don't for one second think they're not monitoring this site on a regular basis.

--

Here's how a Power 5 AD uses a weekly newsletter to communicate with fans:

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/17/texas-football-longhorns-steve-sarkisian-chris-del-conte-support-coaching-staff-athletic-director/

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte releases the Forty Acres Insider each week.

It’s a newsletter to Longhorn Nation that focuses on how each athletic program performed over the past week and what to look forward to in the days ahead.

After Texas’ shocking loss to Kansas, many were eager to hear Del Conte’s thoughts on the matter. (SOUND FAMILIAR - FOR US IT'S: THREE CONSECUTIVE LOSING SEASONS WITH THE HIGHEST PAID COACH IN THE CONFERENCE - I'D SAY WE'RE PRETTY DAMN EAGER TO HEAR WHAT'S WHAT AS IT WERE)

In a surprise to some, he voiced a very clear vote of confidence in Steve Sarkisian and his staff.

Saturday was just a heartbreaking 57-56 overtime loss to Kansas at DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium. Coach Sark said it after the game and reiterated the message at his weekly press conference on Monday: “The first half of that game was not the competitive football that I know we’re capable of playing. The four turnovers — three in the second quarter — were killers, and our inability to stop the run on defense and our inability to get off the field on third down were big issues that did us in. I will say I was proud of the guys in their effort fighting back to get to overtime, but until we figure that out that it takes discipline, commitment, toughness and accountability all of the time, we’re going to be swimming upstream. That’s the message to the guys. It’s about being a true competitor and competing with that mindset. We didn’t do that on Saturday.”

At Texas Athletics, we all know it was a devastating way to lose. You all are so passionate about your Longhorns and feel frustrated about how things have gone for five games. Trust me, we’re so disappointed and frustrated, too, but no one is more upset than Coach Sark and the team. As Coach Sark said, “They put in a lot of time, a lot of effort, a lot of hard work to not be playing the type of football that is the standard here at Texas.” Coach Sark knew when he took the job that it’s not always going to be smooth sailing, that there would be bumps in the road and — at times — choppy waters that he has to navigate through. None of us expected what we’re up against now, but that’s why we hired him and a tremendous staff to allow us to build a foundation for long-term success. Our Longhorns need to continue to learn and grow from these challenging times. We can be there by their side to help pull them through.

With all that said, it’s important that we discuss the reality of the situation facing Coach Sark and our Football program. It came up in Monday’s press conference and is something we’ve talked about. This isn’t to cast any blame or make excuses; it’s just factual that we have some real depth issues. As injuries mount, it’s even more glaring. When you look at it, 52% of our 2018 signing class and 46% of the 2019 class are no longer here. That’s nearly half of the student-athletes from two classes that were ranked as the third-best in the nation and should be making up the juniors and seniors on our roster today. Overall since 2018, we’ve lost 33 percent of the last four classes. That’s a lot of attrition to manage. And when it rains, it pours. We had 25 guys miss practice last week due to a flu bug and virus and missed three others who were out due to COVID-19 protocols.

I say that to help everyone understand the real challenges we’re facing. Coach Sark is building a culture, he has a tremendous group of coaches with him, and we are providing every ounce of support we can muster to help them redirect our program. We have a group of coaches who are proven and have a wealth of experience. They have all succeeded at the highest level. They will help us do that here, too. The guys are fighting their butts off on the field, and we have a really good group of student-athletes giving it all they have. We’ve been dealt a tough hand with more injuries to players this week. Two young men who are among the best in the Big 12 at their positions, Bijan Robinson and Josh Thompson are out. We know we’re up against even more challenges and going through a difficult stretch. That being said, our Texas Fight and resolve never wavers.

Del Conte continued on by stating how important it is for the fans to stand behind the team and stay positive. “We know there are better days ahead, and I know y’all will continue to be the wind beneath our wings to help lead us there.”

Needless to say, it appears that Del Conte is fully behind the rebuild that Sarkisian will have to do at Texas.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Maybe the faster way to see results than go through a regime change is to pony up some extra NIL money for a top QB prospect.  

We should make a separate thread on this maybe - pinned even to track what other schools are paying (by means of opportunities) per position.

Here's an example of TE pay at UT:

If you play tight end on the Texas football team, you will now earn a four-figure monthly stipend no matter if you're an All-Big 12 performer or a freshman walk-on.

https://www.on3.com/news/texas-tight-ends-nil-program-burnt-ends-surly-horns/

Here is how the program works: Each tight end will receive the same monthly share. There is a four-figure monthly baseline dollar guarantee for each tight end. Anything crowdsourced above that also will go into the tight ends’ pockets. It’s an August-to-August annual deal, Blair said, meaning that if a tight end switches positions or transfers, he still will reap financial benefits until the following August. 

---

IMO - There's no way in hell UNT needs to get in to any bidding war with the NIL stuff.... this is a level we simply can not compete and would throw away money trying.

UT "Burnt Ends" Tight Ends NIL (and this is just ONE program/opportunity)

- 6 TE

- $1k/mo  ($12k/year)

Total "Burnt Ends" Guaranteed NIL Money for TE at UT: $72k/year 

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 11.49.59 AM.png

1 hour ago, Pseudo Nym said:

"WORD IT HOW YOU WILL"

Word it however you'd like, address what ever you'd like, say or don't say anything about the HC, doing/saying nothing was a missed opportunity..... this board clearly illustrates there's some strong view from the Alums/Fans about the Football HC Position.

This board does a huge service to the athletics department, don't for one second think they're not monitoring this site on a regular basis.

--

Here's how a Power 5 AD uses a weekly newsletter to communicate with fans:

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/17/texas-football-longhorns-steve-sarkisian-chris-del-conte-support-coaching-staff-athletic-director/

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte releases the Forty Acres Insider each week.

It’s a newsletter to Longhorn Nation that focuses on how each athletic program performed over the past week and what to look forward to in the days ahead.

After Texas’ shocking loss to Kansas, many were eager to hear Del Conte’s thoughts on the matter. (SOUND FAMILIAR - FOR US IT'S: THREE CONSECUTIVE LOSING SEASONS WITH THE HIGHEST PAID COACH IN THE CONFERENCE - I'D SAY WE'RE PRETTY DAMN EAGER TO HEAR WHAT'S WHAT AS IT WERE)

In a surprise to some, he voiced a very clear vote of confidence in Steve Sarkisian and his staff.

Saturday was just a heartbreaking 57-56 overtime loss to Kansas at DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium. Coach Sark said it after the game and reiterated the message at his weekly press conference on Monday: “The first half of that game was not the competitive football that I know we’re capable of playing. The four turnovers — three in the second quarter — were killers, and our inability to stop the run on defense and our inability to get off the field on third down were big issues that did us in. I will say I was proud of the guys in their effort fighting back to get to overtime, but until we figure that out that it takes discipline, commitment, toughness and accountability all of the time, we’re going to be swimming upstream. That’s the message to the guys. It’s about being a true competitor and competing with that mindset. We didn’t do that on Saturday.”

At Texas Athletics, we all know it was a devastating way to lose. You all are so passionate about your Longhorns and feel frustrated about how things have gone for five games. Trust me, we’re so disappointed and frustrated, too, but no one is more upset than Coach Sark and the team. As Coach Sark said, “They put in a lot of time, a lot of effort, a lot of hard work to not be playing the type of football that is the standard here at Texas.” Coach Sark knew when he took the job that it’s not always going to be smooth sailing, that there would be bumps in the road and — at times — choppy waters that he has to navigate through. None of us expected what we’re up against now, but that’s why we hired him and a tremendous staff to allow us to build a foundation for long-term success. Our Longhorns need to continue to learn and grow from these challenging times. We can be there by their side to help pull them through.

With all that said, it’s important that we discuss the reality of the situation facing Coach Sark and our Football program. It came up in Monday’s press conference and is something we’ve talked about. This isn’t to cast any blame or make excuses; it’s just factual that we have some real depth issues. As injuries mount, it’s even more glaring. When you look at it, 52% of our 2018 signing class and 46% of the 2019 class are no longer here. That’s nearly half of the student-athletes from two classes that were ranked as the third-best in the nation and should be making up the juniors and seniors on our roster today. Overall since 2018, we’ve lost 33 percent of the last four classes. That’s a lot of attrition to manage. And when it rains, it pours. We had 25 guys miss practice last week due to a flu bug and virus and missed three others who were out due to COVID-19 protocols.

I say that to help everyone understand the real challenges we’re facing. Coach Sark is building a culture, he has a tremendous group of coaches with him, and we are providing every ounce of support we can muster to help them redirect our program. We have a group of coaches who are proven and have a wealth of experience. They have all succeeded at the highest level. They will help us do that here, too. The guys are fighting their butts off on the field, and we have a really good group of student-athletes giving it all they have. We’ve been dealt a tough hand with more injuries to players this week. Two young men who are among the best in the Big 12 at their positions, Bijan Robinson and Josh Thompson are out. We know we’re up against even more challenges and going through a difficult stretch. That being said, our Texas Fight and resolve never wavers.

Del Conte continued on by stating how important it is for the fans to stand behind the team and stay positive. “We know there are better days ahead, and I know y’all will continue to be the wind beneath our wings to help lead us there.”

Needless to say, it appears that Del Conte is fully behind the rebuild that Sarkisian will have to do at Texas.

The dreaded 'vote of confidence' that will either 1) subtly motivate the BMDs to the point of funding the buyout because they are afraid a move won't be made, or 2) put all the weight on the coach's shoulders to win or else.  IMO, it is a well used tactic designed to shift the focus from the AD/GM.

Edited by TreeFiddy

5 hours ago, Pseudo Nym said:

if the AD makes any decisions at all based upon what is posted on GMG.com, we need to fire more than a coach. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

if the AD makes any decisions at all based upon what is posted on GMG.com, we need to fire more than a coach. 

Neither said nor implied..... but thanks for an extremely nuanced, albeit completely inaccurate, interpretation..... Right up there with "look, we beat a ranked team on the last game of the season, all is well again with UNT football, nothing else to see or do here" (just an example of an extremely nuanced and completely inaccurate interpretation).

The service this board does is provide free insight into what more passionate and involved alumni and fans think about events surrounding the athletics department.  Often times it is an unfiltered, matter-of-fact perspective which can be difficult to ascertain by any other means.  To deny its value is to say "we don't care what they think, just show us the good polling data."

In the same breadth that regardless of what you thought of President Trump, when he was posting on Twitter, the country world was given direct access his unfiltered thoughts and views.  Take them as you will but you can't deny the value in that kind of access.

This board is a litmus test for the athletics department on a wide array of issues, and occasionally perhaps an idea is put forward on the board that may have some value.  It's not the only source of information and feedback, but certainly a convenient, consistent, reliable and primary source for a majority of issues in athletics.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

Neither said nor implied..... but thanks for an extremely nuanced, albeit completely inaccurate, interpretation..... Right up there with "look, we beat a ranked team on the last game of the season, all is well again with UNT football, nothing else to see or do here" (just an example of an extremely nuanced and completely inaccurate interpretation).

The service this board does is provide free insight into what more passionate and involved alumni and fans think about events surrounding the athletics department.  Often times it is an unfiltered, matter-of-fact perspective which can be difficult to ascertain by any other means.  To deny its value is to say "we don't care what they think, just show us the good polling data."

In the same breadth that regardless of what you thought of President Trump, when he was posting on Twitter, the country world was given direct access his unfiltered thoughts and views.  Take them as you will but you can't deny the value in that kind of access.

This board is a litmus test for the athletics department on a wide array of issues, and occasionally perhaps an idea is put forward on the board that may have some value.  It's not the only source of information and feedback, but certainly a convenient, consistent, reliable and primary source for a majority of issues in athletics.

no. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

So I got an email that we have hired a new volleyball coach-not overly impressed by the hire.  But not the point, seems someone is working in the AD department.  Just give us the bad news, we are stuck another year with SL.

This is awesome.  Now that the arduous task of the national search for a volleyball coach is completed, maybe we can all settle down and enjoy what is shaping up to be an awesome basketball season.....

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

So I got an email that we have hired a new volleyball coach-not overly impressed by the hire.  But not the point, seems someone is working in the AD department.  Just give us the bad news, we are stuck another year with SL.

just out of curiosity, who was on your shortlist for Women’s Volleyball coach…like, a top three…just so the AD has that information for future consideration. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I hate when ADs comment publicly on a coach’s status like Del Conte did. I think he has done a lot of things right at Texas, but publicly acknowledging the criticism of a coach he hired in year 1 was cringeworthy to me. If I was an AD, you’d hear from me about a coach’s status when they’re hired, extended, resign, or fired. The rest of their time employed by me, you’d get “I’m doing everything in my power to get Coach <insert name> what he/she needs to be successful. As soon as one of the status changes previously mentioned occurs, I’ll let you all know.”

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1