When will we ever win a bowl game?

Tom McKrackin

42 minutes ago, wardly said:

This was our best chance. As I posted before, two of our appearances were with losing records, and Utah State was a top 25 team. Troy was just better than us but Miami and UNT were equal teams. Our two interceptions flipped the game.

We were at our worst at the worst possible times.  

One of Aune’s interceptions was in the red zone when we had been making decent progress on the ground…and he stared the receiver down the entire time

Down two scores inside the five we had a chance to punch it in.  On two consecutive plays we hand off 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage (and get dropped for about a 4 yard loss) and then Aune rolls out, has a chance to run for the TD, and throws the ball into the ground…drive over.  

Better play calling and even marginal QB play and we are in this game with a chance to win…even after the Murphy brothers extended a drive by jumping offside (one of them) and then getting an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (the other one).  😒

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

We were at our worst at the worst possible times.  

One of Aune’s interceptions was in the red zone when we had been making decent progress on the ground…and he stared the receiver down the entire time

Down two scores inside the five we had a chance to punch it in.  On two consecutive plays we hand off 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage (and get dropped for about a 4 yard loss) and then Aune rolls out, has a chance to run for the TD, and throws the ball into the ground…drive over.  

Better play calling and even marginal QB play and we are in this game with a chance to win…even after the Murphy brothers extended a drive by jumping offside (one of them) and then getting an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (the other one).  😒

K. Martin couldn't possibly have done worse.

• Upvote 2

The red zone stop by Miami was huge and kudos to their defensive line. But one of those plays the middle LB waltzed right through untouched.

I kind of rely on you guys for football analysis, as I know little about the game. But it seemed that some of our offensive plays were totally busted plays. Aune just standing in the pocket for a few seconds and then getting dropped. Just crazy.

Our punter flipped the field a few times for UNT and Novil looked really good. Those were the positives that I saw.

• Upvote 1

There are 84 teams out of about 124 Division A programs going to a bowl. With 2/3's of teams participating the minor bowls just don't mean much anymore. The fact that we drew only 12, 000 fans on a beautiful day in our back yard , probably of which 11,000 were UNT supporters, is a good indicator. We complain that it was an afternoon game where fans had to take time off from work. However I was at the UTSA game Tuesday night where 16,000 were in attendance, probably of which 15,000 were from San Antonio. Those fans probably needed to take more time off, drive 5 hours, and spend the night. Maybe the novelty of playing is a bowl game has wore off for North Texas fans. We now expect to field a good team against a good opponent if we are going to attend. No longer will we support bowl teams with losing or 6&6 records. Just an old mans opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, wardly said:

There are 84 teams out of about 124 Division A programs going to a bowl. With 2/3's of teams participating the minor bowls just don't mean much anymore. The fact that we drew only 12, 000 fans on a beautiful day in our back yard , probably of which 11,000 were UNT supporters, is a good indicator. We complain that it was an afternoon game where fans had to take time off from work. However I was at the UTSA game Tuesday night where 16,000 were in attendance, probably of which 15,000 were from San Antonio. Those fans probably needed to take more time off, drive 5 hours, and spend the night. Maybe the novelty of playing is a bowl game has wore off for North Texas fans. We now expect to field a good team against a good opponent if we are going to attend. No longer will we support bowl teams with losing or 6&6 records. Just an old mans opinion.

1) A little under 12,000 was the announced number. The actual was probably around 70% of that. 

2) I think there is something to your thought about the novelty of the generic bowl game wearing off. 2014 HOD bowl was first bowl game in almost a decade. 2016 HOD bowl was exciting under first year Littrell. After that, our turnouts have been atrocious. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2