NOT LITTRELL’S FAULT

meangreenbob

21 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

The real problem is an administration that lacked discernment, was caught off guard, was not prepared, panicked and negotiated a new contract from a position of weakness crippling the program for years  

I think you are making it way more complicated than it is.  A head coach importance is huge but it isn’t bigger than the institution.  Pay him but never over commit to him because he can ALWAYS leave.  I didn’t approve of the extension at the time because at NO PART in his tenure was he best coach in the conference.  So if he wants to leave even after a modest raise wish him luck.  It is always financially better to have a coach get hired away than paying him not to be your head coach anymore.  Until we get to a P5 level in revenue a coach getting money whipped to leave is a natural part of the program’s long term success.  

8 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

What most of you do not understand is that when Littrell negotiated with KST before the ink had dried on his second contract extension and pay raise, before he won a Conference Title or had a Bowl win, he was making it very very clear that he was NOT COMMITTED to the UNT Football Program. Period. 

Exactly!  And let us stop talking about raised expectations when it comes to bowl games. We had 2 legitimate bowl game appearances under Seth.  When you have a losing record against FBS competition but get into a bowl game that is meaningless especially when you get blown out in the bowl game validating your team is below mediocre.  Given the resources here Seth was just adequate.  If this were the early 2000s in with our facilities back then and more limited opportunities to make a bowl game then yes his performance would have raised expectations just like Dickey did.  So we all need to stop overblowing Seth’s very limited success here like the AD did when those extensions were signed.

• Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Let me be perfectly clear. I have absolutely no animosity toward Mr. Littrell. No one, I mean no one, wanted to see him succeed big time more than me. I have been hoping for someone to do just that since I first laid eyes on the campus of North Texas in the Fall of 1969. 

Listen, I totally understand that we live in the age of post modernization where one’s word means nothing anymore. What value does a handshake have or even a freshly inked contract?

What most of you do not understand is that when Littrell negotiated with KST before the ink had dried on his second contract extension and pay raise, before he won a Conference Title or had a Bowl win, he was making it very very clear that he was NOT COMMITTED to the UNT Football Program. Period. 

Yes, he got a pay raise and contract extension. But that temporary lapse in judgement, the lack of patience, confidence and commitment cost him any chance of real success here. It cost all of us. 

Integrity is not just a word and there are always consequences for our actions. 

Change is needed. 

I don't hold any ill will towards him, and I was pumped when he came in. I wish him nothing but success, but I do not think he is the man to take us any further. 

Regarding the flirtation with K State, I think he really wanted that job and he thought he had it, only to be stunned when he didn't get the job, and he has yet to recover from that disappointment. 

• Upvote 4