NOT LITTRELL’S FAULT

meangreenbob

Littrell is not to blame for his lack of success as a head coach. 

However an Administration that continues to support that lack of success is.  

However, in the real world an individual who has failed after years of trying would graciously and humbly resign allowing the University the funds and opportunity to move forward. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 10
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, meangreenbob said:

However, in the real world an individual who has failed after years of trying would graciously and humbly resign allowing the University the funds and opportunity to move forward. 

He’s not going to walk away from millions of dollars.  And sadly we probably can’t afford to buy him out until after another season it seems.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

He’s not going to walk away from millions of dollars.  And sadly we probably can’t afford to buy him out until after another season it seems.

It was a poor decision to give him an extension in the first place just because K-State showed interest.  Rookie mistake from Wren on that, hope we learned something....

UTSA is in a big hurt offering a 10-year extension to their wunderkind coach, now with his 1-2 record since signing it, lol. 

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

In the real world, you sign a bad contract and you suffer the consequences. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

It was a poor decision to give him an extension in the first place just because K-State showed interest.  Rookie mistake from Wren on that, hope we learned something....

Oh my Goodness Yes, and I said this at the time.  If your program collapses after a Head Coach leaves for a higher paying job in a higher conference your program isn’t that good and your AD should receive some scrutiny.  If he was sitting on 2 division titles, a conference title and a bowl win then okay give him a extension and a raise.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

1. Why was he not more successful?  What held him back? School admin? Assistant coaches? (Choice? Funding?) Etc.

Failure to develop quarterbacks after Mason Fine, no emphasis on defense until this season, poor offensive playbook after GH left, etc, etc.

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Failure to develop quarterbacks after Mason Fine, no emphasis on defense until this season, poor offensive playbook after GH left, etc, etc.

Coaches at FAU, UTSA, and UAB have come accomplished more at those programs and left those programs during Seth tenure.  Hell UAB restarted and now better than us in the standings consistently since Seth was hired.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Rudy said:

You need to do a YouTube video like the "Leave Brittney Alone" guy.  It would at least be a distraction from the utter insane idea that Littrell's lack of success is not his fault. 

You’re right. I did not phrase that correctly. Littrell was never head coaching material and is a perfect example of the Peter Principal. (For those not familiar look it up) But that’s not his fault for accepting the offer. The real problem is an administration that lacked discernment, was caught off guard, was not prepared, panicked and negotiated a new contract from a position of weakness crippling the program for years  

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, NT80 said:

To be fair, nobody thought Mason would leave that soon. I mean 4 years isn't enough time to find an adequate replacement 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

You’re right. I did not phrase that correctly. Littrell was never head coaching material and is a perfect example of the Peter Principal. (For those not familiar look it up) But that’s not his fault for accepting the offer. The real problem is an administration that lacked discernment, was caught off guard, was not prepared, panicked and negotiated a new contract from a position of weakness crippling the program for years  

You should still make that video I mentioned. It'd be funny as hell.

4 hours ago, Pseudo Nym said:

And FWIW - SL is a stand up guy and the first to say, "It's on me" - it's not a new phenomenon in coaching, you don't plan to fail, you don't prepare to lose but when it happens and you do, you take full accountability.   You can't preach accountability as a coach and then change the definition to fit the circumstance.  Coaches know when you win, it's the players, when you lose it's on the coach.

Tried his best, represented the program well, no scandal, no issues of integrity, just not enough W's at the end of the day - he's an OU Alum, his expectations of himself as a coach are as high as what he expects from the OU coach as an Alum.  In this case, we're the Alumni but he'd be the first to say expectations weren't met, he get's it, it's not a case that needs defending.  

I think I've said it 1,000 times, outstanding human being, really good football coach, he's not done yet, but it's time to part ways.  It's like dating, most people don't marry the first girl or guy they date, most marriages don't last when they do, everyone that does is the exception, not the rule.

I can tell you he's not moping around, he's a confident guy, I think he'll reflect back on the good and the bad, he'll definitely be a better coach because of it and I have no ill will and will be rooting for him the rest of his career!

Thanks for the kind words about Seth. I don't know him well, but he seems like a very good person.

Over the preceding six seasons he succeeded in raising raising our expectations. Who would ever thought North Texas fans would be complaining while making a bowl game five out of six years?

The problem is that our team has failed to meet those new expectations: getting dominated in our most visual rivalry and annually destroyed in those bowl games during Seth's tenure. 

If Seth leaves he leaves as an already very successful and wealthy young man with an additional four million dollar golden parachute coming to him. He raised our program from the ashes that Dan McCarney had left and made it into one that has the ability to be a contender in any given year. There have been great moments; '16 Army, '17 UTSA, '17 Army, '18 SMU, '18 Arkansas, and '21 UTSA, and for those I am thankful as we hadn't had too many of those over the preceding dozen years. Seth has always represented our university well and has been very good to his players.

Like I have stated before, I have my opinions, but I ultimately support whatever decisions Wren Baker, President Smatresk, and our Board of Regents make.

I will be a North Texas fan forever regardless.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Let me be perfectly clear. I have absolutely no animosity toward Mr. Littrell. No one, I mean no one, wanted to see him succeed big time more than me. I have been hoping for someone to do just that since I first laid eyes on the campus of North Texas in the Fall of 1969. 

Listen, I totally understand that we live in the age of post modernization where one’s word means nothing anymore. What value does a handshake have or even a freshly inked contract?

What most of you do not understand is that when Littrell negotiated with KST before the ink had dried on his second contract extension and pay raise, before he won a Conference Title or had a Bowl win, he was making it very very clear that he was NOT COMMITTED to the UNT Football Program. Period. 

Yes, he got a pay raise and contract extension. But that temporary lapse in judgement, the lack of patience, confidence and commitment cost him any chance of real success here. It cost all of us. 

Integrity is not just a word and there are always consequences for our actions. 

Change is needed. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 6