A.A.C.

wardly

SL has one season left…one. If he does enough in WB’s eyes, he will get an extension after 2022 or he will be let go. Nobody will let a football coach (this isn’t basketball) go into his last year of a contract or recruiting will be killed.

So the question is really what will happen? Well, if you’re SL, you’ve got a reality of needing 7+ wins in the regular season to continue to show improvement to WB and NS. So, your make-or-break year looks like this:

@Memphis, SMU, FCS Spare, @UNLV

LT, USM, Rice, and FIU at home

@Marshall, @UTEP, @UTSA, and @UAB

Not exactly murderers row…no P5 giant, SMU breaking in a new coach, UNLV is not good, UTSA has to rebuild, LT has a new coach, as well.

My guess is we go 7-5 next year. He gets that extension of 3 more years here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 12/24/2021 at 9:23 PM, RBP79 said:

FCS....my god.....all these Universities wanting to move up to FBS and we have fans wanting to move down. I say "Hell No".

My experience (not necessarily yours):

A lot of these conversations I have with a casual CFB fan about FCS reveal that they don't know the difference between it and going Indie.

Going Indie means staying in the FBS arms race without the help/affiliation of a conference.  And all the money that comes with it.
Going FCS means opting out of the arms race, but you are in a conference.  With legit playoff opportunities.  There is less TV revenue, but maybe that is offset by decreased scholarship burden?

...two vastly different convos which doesn't get discussed enough around here.  One is suicide for an FBS program.  The other means opportunities for national championships and possibly easier path to Apogee sellouts.

21 minutes ago, greenminer said:

My experience (not necessarily yours):

A lot of these conversations I have with a casual CFB fan about FCS reveal that they don't know the difference between it and going Indie.

Going Indie means staying in the FBS arms race without the help/affiliation of a conference.  And all the money that comes with it.
Going FCS means opting out of the arms race, but you are in a conference.  With legit playoff opportunities.  There is less TV revenue, but maybe that is offset by decreased scholarship burden?

...two vastly different convos which doesn't get discussed enough around here.  One is suicide for an FBS program.  The other means opportunities for national championships and possibly easier path to Apogee sellouts.

The average football fan has no idea who is in the American or CUSA. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, untbowler said:

if true we do not have the money, then WB is failing at one of his major jobs of bringing in donations. With the enormous increase in resources in the past 5-10 yrs, money should be flowing, or least it is for salaries. Increased pay should correlate with increased fundraising and wins in all sports, especially Football with the highest paid coach. 

Enormous increase in resources? Money is not flowing my guy. Donations are still lacking 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, greenminer said:

DD: *wins big*

OLD DENTON: *chirps*

Oh god you’re one of those people. I seriously think a lot of people on this board look at the DD “winning” years with green tinted glasses. That was not winning big so please I beg you to stop using that as an example. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I find it hard to believe that we don't have the money to buy him out, if they choose to let him go.  You stated "you heard" we didn't have the money.  Who did you hear this from?

No one that is going to change your mind so this conversation is pointless.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Oh god you’re one of those people. I seriously think a lot of people on this board look at the DD “winning” years with green tinted glasses. That was not winning big so please I beg you to stop using that as an example. 

If I had to guess, there were a lot of people that day that thought we were on our way up.  Even back then, we  - Old Denton - were trying to put bad admin decisions and AA years behind us and figure things out.  We just didn't have the financial investment that we can claim now.  On, and we also had RV.

We're having fun here, right? I don't think anyone is going to mistake Cinci for a big win, but It was monumentally fun.  Wish we could go back and see if there was any uptick in donations or season ticket sales.  You seem to be going out of your way to alienate people in this thread.

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:32 AM, Salsa_Verde said:

I think the people who have always donated still donate and apparently have started donating more. I’m interested to know what percentage of donations are from first time donors. This should go without saying but the donor base must be expanded

The reason Benford was not fired is that we did not have the money to buy him out. On another note,Wren has done a great jog bringing in a hand full of major donators like Jim McNatt, who told me that he had not stepped foot on the UNT campus since his graduation in the mid 60's until Baker got him involved. However, the data I saw a  few years ago show us last in the number of donors in D1 programs in Texas. While its great to land a few whales we need a lot more fish contributing .

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 12/24/2021 at 12:14 PM, GrandGreen said:

If NT can't compete with those teams; there is nowhere they could. 

If Littrell is still at NT, it is because he has turned the program around. More likely NT will have a new coach.  

NT will have a new coach once SL’s contract runs out. Like Jerruh and Garrett, Wren is too close to his buddy Seth. He’s gonna shake his hand and watch him walk off with a smile and a completed contract. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1

One thing to keep in mind is the AAC dollars. Currently $7m per team let’s say it gets cut in 1/2 with the moves to $3.5. We should also see a nice drop in our travel expenses, and we will see more of our opponents fans at games. We made $500,000 with C-USA. You can finance a lot with a few million a year. GMG 

On 12/29/2021 at 12:00 PM, wardly said:

The reason Benford was not fired is that we did not have the money to buy him out. On another note,Wren has done a great jog bringing in a hand full of major donators like Jim McNatt, who told me that he had not stepped foot on the UNT campus since his graduation in the mid 60's until Baker got him involved. However, the data I saw a  few years ago show us last in the number of donors in D1 programs in Texas. While its great to land a few whales we need a lot more fish contributing .

Thank you. My point exactly 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Downvote 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:14 PM, KingDL1 said:

I been told time and time again over the last 7 years money is not an issue anymore. 

When I see us wearing the vintage uniforms as everyday uniforms because they sold the old feather jerseys…I find that hard to believe. You believe what you want to believe but this program is not flush with cash and it doesn’t take an insider to know that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/28/2021 at 8:21 PM, greenminer said:

If I had to guess, there were a lot of people that day that thought we were on our way up.  Even back then, we  - Old Denton - were trying to put bad admin decisions and AA years behind us and figure things out.  We just didn't have the financial investment that we can claim now.  On, and we also had RV.

We're having fun here, right? I don't think anyone is going to mistake Cinci for a big win, but It was monumentally fun.  Wish we could go back and see if there was any uptick in donations or season ticket sales.  You seem to be going out of your way to alienate people in this thread.

Alienate? I guess? I just don’t like using the DD days as a measure of big time success. Why? Because people will point to it as an example of how even when the program winning people don’t seem to care. My argument is this program has not seen big time success since the days of HF and when it does see that level of success, that’s when we will see North Texas at its true potential.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Alienate? I guess? I just don’t like using the DD days as a measure of big time success. 

I think you missed the point.  It wasn't being used as a measuring stick.

4 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I don't think anyone is going to mistake Cinci for a big win, but It was monumentally fun. 

Just pointing out that it was fun.  And there was a follow up question wondering if there was an increase in donations and ticket sales.