A.A.C.

wardly

On 12/25/2021 at 9:28 PM, GrayEagle said:

I don't believe that he has any political aspirations.

I mean he did famously run for city council and lost a cool mil before getting beat handedly. But in a way you're right, because I think that killed any future aspirations. 

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/expensive-dallas-city-council-campaign-was-worth-the-cost-candidate-brint-ryan-says/287-411454841

On 12/25/2021 at 9:05 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

I heard previously that Navy wanted to be in the Western Division.  Seems the Lone Star State is doing its best to keep the service academies stocked up with Texas & Southwest HS recruits as many times as they all get to come here to tee it up.  (Gosh!  I hope that was not too un'patriotic). 

* I did enjoy the Army series we had going until that was ditched when one Black Knight at Apogee Stadium almost tore the head off of one of our Mean Green receivers.  I heard that single play became an ender for our series and now UTSA & Texas State have picked up with Army where we left off.  

GMG!

I don't understand why Navy would want to be in the Western Division.  Their closest division opponent would be more than a thousand miles away.  Navy can recruit anywhere in the fifty but it takes a special breed to want to go to any of the service academies.  You have to want to be an Army, Navy, Marine or Air Force Officer.  They have a three year obligation after they finish their academy.  In addition, they will be playing in Texas at least two of the three/four years of every conference schedule.

40 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I don't understand why Navy would want to be in the Western Division.  Their closest division opponent would be more than a thousand miles away.  Navy can recruit anywhere in the fifty but it takes a special breed to want to go to any of the service academies.  You have to want to be an Army, Navy, Marine or Air Force Officer.  They have a three year obligation after they finish their academy.  In addition, they will be playing in Texas at least two of the three/four years of every conference schedule.

They don’t have to worry about travel costs and they want exposure in a recruit rich state like Texas. It’s that simple 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If North Texas wants to win then the administration and donors have to be willing to pay more for a head coach. That’s what WB alluded to at the announcement of joining the AAC. On top of a head coach if you expect to win you need to pay your assistants more. Do we have the money to do this? The willingness to donate hasn’t been there in the past but this is what needs to happen. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

If North Texas wants to win then the administration and donors have to be willing to pay more for a head coach. That’s what WB alluded to at the announcement of joining the AAC. On top of a head coach if you expect to win you need to pay your assistants more. Do we have the money to do this? The willingness to donate hasn’t been there in the past but this is what needs to happen. 

It's financial risk/reward.   If an AD leaves a declining program's HC in the position it drives away donors and season ticket renewals.  A new HC spurs optimism and more $$.  Can Wren and NT really afford NOT to make a change now, especially in a buildup to a more competitive conference??

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, NT80 said:

It's financial risk/reward.   If an AD leaves a declining program's HC in the position it drives away donors and season ticket renewals.  A new HC spurs optimism and more $$.  Can Wren and NT really afford NOT to make a change now, especially in a buildup to a more competitive conference??

From what I’ve heard is we don’t have the money to fire him so he’s here until his contract runs out. And everyone keeps talking about just paying the head coach more, a good program…a winning program also pays their assistants more, I feel like that is always overlooked in these conversations. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Since Wren started the 110% campaign, I've increased my contributions every year to meet his challenge, like I'm certain many other have too.

The sad truth is our football program continues to flounder and be very mediocre. Wren is going to find it very hard to squeeze more money out of fans that are unimpressed with Littrell and want a new coach.

• Upvote 3

If we don't make changes before we get to the AAC we will be the conference bitch.  SL has proven he cant win in CUSA do really think he will do a better job in the AAC.   What AAC team do we play each year?   What is the usual outcome and they are not the best team in the conference.   When that team loses to us they fire their coach.  We are setting ourselves up to be the bottom feeders of the AAC.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

My understanding is that the reason they have been in the West previously was for recruiting purposes. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

15 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

My understanding is that the reason they have been in the West previously was for recruiting purposes. 

From Football Scoop in 2014...

Given the reality of the conference, though, this was best the American could have possibly done to put this puzzle together. Simple geography demanded on eastern team had to go west, and is the only one that makes some semblance of sense. Central Florida and South Florida need to be in the same division, and Cincinnati is a better fit in the East and the West. Given Navy's long history of playing national schedules as a football independent and its coast-to-coast appeal as a service academy, the Midshipmen make the most sense as the token Eastern outlier. 

(Update: Indeed, Navy actually requested to be in the West Division. "We preferred to be in the West and actually were very insistent that be the case," Naval Academy athletic director Chet Gladchuk told the Capital Gazette. "We are very grateful to the commissioner and member schools for accommodating our wishes.")

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

now props to both Baylor and UH, because of all the coaching hires they’ve made since Briles, the only one that wasn’t a home run was the guy UH hired between sumlin and Herman  

You think Applewhite was a home run?  You could probably get him cheap since he's currently the OC at South Alabama

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

From what I’ve heard is we don’t have the money to fire him so he’s here until his contract runs out. 

I find this hard to believe considering Baker was provided a huge increase recently paying him more than some higher profile AD's.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Seth’s current salary is in range for the existing AAC schools that are staying. The coaches salary pool my be low, but we stepped up to hire PB.  I think a more glaring need is the new AD bldging. Also we will be making more $$ with the new conference.

Edited by Wag Tag

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

If we don't make changes before we get to the AAC we will be the conference bitch.  SL has proven he cant win in CUSA do really think he will do a better job in the AAC.   What AAC team do we play each year?   What is the usual outcome and they are not the best team in the conference.   When that team loses to us they fire their coach.  We are setting ourselves up to be the bottom feeders of the AAC.  

I wouldn't have put it that way, but I believe your statements are true.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I find this hard to believe considering Baker was provided a huge increase recently paying him more than some higher profile AD's.

So you’re saying because Wren gets paid more…the administration has more money and could afford to cut SL loose? Thats a shaky correlation, if that is in fact, what you’re trying to imply. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Since Wren started the 110% campaign, I've increased my contributions every year to meet his challenge, like I'm certain many other have too.

The sad truth is our football program continues to flounder and be very mediocre. Wren is going to find it very hard to squeeze more money out of fans that are unimpressed with Littrell and want a new coach.

I think the people who have always donated still donate and apparently have started donating more. I’m interested to know what percentage of donations are from first time donors. This should go without saying but the donor base must be expanded

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Seth’s current salary is in range for the existing AAC schools that are staying. The coaches salary pool my be low, but we stepped up to hire PB.  I think a more glaring need is the new AD bldging. Also we will be making more $$ with the new conference.

If you want to win, it all starts with coaching. Get a coach that can win and win big and you’ll have people throwing money at this program because they want to keep winning. 

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

So you’re saying because Wren gets paid more…the administration has more money and could afford to cut SL loose? Thats a shaky correlation, if that is in fact, what you’re trying to imply. 

I find it hard to believe that we don't have the money to buy him out, if they choose to let him go.  You stated "you heard" we didn't have the money.  Who did you hear this from?

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I find it hard to believe that we don't have the money to buy him out, if they choose to let him go.  You stated "you heard" we didn't have the money.  Who did you hear this from?

if true we do not have the money, then WB is failing at one of his major jobs of bringing in donations. With the enormous increase in resources in the past 5-10 yrs, money should be flowing, or least it is for salaries. Increased pay should correlate with increased fundraising and wins in all sports, especially Football with the highest paid coach. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Playing devil's advocate, that worked out pretty well for us.

No, rookie mistake by Wren!  Benford was 8-22 his last season and it ran off many fans and season ticket holders.  Also, basketball can be turned around faster since fewer players involved.  

Mac was a very good hire, and Wren can make good hires, he just needs to do it NOW in football too.

Do we really want our Football program limping into the AAC it's first year after crashing with Seth?   And what recruits are going to sign on to a program with a lame-duck head coach?

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1