A.A.C.

wardly

Perhaps we should look at the [in my opinion] bigger picture. With a few exceptions, North Texas has been in the lower half of the Western Division of CUSA since joining. This Division is basically the worst of the worst. In 2023 we are scheduled to join the Western Division of A.A.C and grouped with SMU,Rice,Tulsa, Tulane, and UTSA. Based upon where our football program finds itself  today, will be ready to compete?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, wardly said:

Perhaps we should look at the [in my opinion] bigger picture. With a few exceptions, North Texas has been in the lower half of the Western Division of CUSA since joining. This Division is basically the worst of the worst. In 2023 we are scheduled to join the Western Division of A.A.C and grouped with SMU,Rice,Tulsa, Tulane, and UTSA. Based upon where our football program finds itself  today, will be ready to compete?

I fear we will be pulling hind teat in the AAC in football I really do.  I think we will do great in basketball.

• Upvote 2

I’m hoping this is an all boats rise with the rising tide thing.   Better conference will lead to better exposure and better recruiting.  I had a similar conversation with a fellow alum at the pregame party at the Green Gator this week, but in the opposite direction.  He was discussing possibly moving down to FCS to establish a stronger winning tradition.  I believe that this would make it harder to recruit (in addition to fewer scholarships), which would theoretically have a negative impact on performance.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I’m hoping this is an all boats rise with the rising tide thing.   Better conference will lead to better exposure and better recruiting.  I had a similar conversation with a fellow alum at the pregame party at the Green Gator this week, but in the opposite direction.  He was discussing possibly moving down to FCS to establish a stronger winning tradition.  I believe that this would make it harder to recruit (in addition to fewer scholarships), which would theoretically have a negative impact on performance.  

I’m not sure we would even be in the FCS top 25. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

32 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Anybody with even a decent short term memory knows that this was true for Baylor.   They got their brains bashed in for years, but they cashed those Big XII checks and invested in their program.  Little by little, the players came so they could “compete for chanpionships” (even though Baylor was nowhere near the top of the league for a while).   

Increased television revenue, exposure, and teams that have a little more “cachè” will open up opportunities.  We may not be at the top immediately, but I have faith in Wren to leverage the increased resources.  

They have also made some fantastic hires across the board.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

This^^^    

Wren needs to find our Football McCasland...asap.

Maybe the head football coach he knew when he was an assistant basketball coach at Baylor? I’m sure they met at least once being in the same athletic department and all, just like I’m sure now isn’t the first time he has crossed paths with Bennett or Gush.

Edited by Cr1028

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

My guess is that the Western Division will be even worse for us.  I expect that the west for football will consist of Memphis, Tulane, Rice, SMU, North Texas, UTSA and Tulsa.  For all other sports Memphis will shift to the east and Wichita State will be in the west.  

What about Navy?

1 hour ago, greengal said:

What about Navy?

I heard previously that Navy wanted to be in the Western Division.  Seems the Lone Star State is doing its best to keep the service academies stocked up with Texas & Southwest HS recruits as many times as they all get to come here to tee it up.  (Gosh!  I hope that was not too un'patriotic). 

* I did enjoy the Army series we had going until that was ditched when one Black Knight at Apogee Stadium almost tore the head off of one of our Mean Green receivers.  I heard that single play became an ender for our series and now UTSA & Texas State have picked up with Army where we left off.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

23 hours ago, wardly said:

Either Navy or Memphis will be the 7th football program. If its Navy for football only then Wichita will be in the West as well. Either way we would probably be ranked 6th in the West, ahead of Rice, behind Tulane.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Well, Ann Richards was well-connected politically.  I don't believe that he has any political aspirations.  However, money talks and I would imagine that he has a loud voice.  He doesn't throw his weight around like Richards did but I don't think that he has to.

I imagine GBR does almost every TX politician’s taxes.  Those people get where they are by squeezing every last coin of money they can get from whatever fund sources they have… & his firm just so happens to be really, really, really good at finding every single loophole in the tax code.

Ergo: GBR knows important people.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

On 12/24/2021 at 1:23 PM, Glory to the Green said:

They have also made some fantastic hires across the board.  

For football specifically, one could argue that they have made exactly 1 fantastic hire since Grant Teaff.

FYI, that guy is available for cheap, but it will take someone with cajones.

Name, years coached, games coached, wins, losses, ties, win %

image.png.3aff0472c30c9c0f8a9e6ff53dab8a3e.png

image.png.4c8af562b3cb8c03d4cae653b8c5ff62.png

Other than being in the SWC/Big 12, Baylor's success has not been significantly better in the the two major men's sports than UNT until Briles arrived in football and Drew in basketball.  

Baylor's recent success does show what a successful hire can do for your program.  For the moment it seems like McCasland has things on the right tract.  Unfortunately, we can't say the same for football.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 1

On 12/24/2021 at 12:50 PM, emmitt01 said:

Anybody with even a decent short term memory knows that this was true for Baylor.   They got their brains bashed in for years, but they cashed those Big XII checks and invested in their program.  Little by little, the players came so they could “compete for chanpionships” (even though Baylor was nowhere near the top of the league for a while).   

Increased television revenue, exposure, and teams that have a little more “cachè” will open up opportunities.  We may not be at the top immediately, but I have faith in Wren to leverage the increased resources.  

Yeah, but Baylor hired one of the best coaches in the nation. Despite his fall from grace exit, he was already a legend in Texas. He turned around Houston who was basically us before him. 

He also brought a transcendent talent with him to Baylor that kickstarted everything  

now props to both Baylor and UH, because of all the coaching hires they’ve made since Briles, the only one that wasn’t a home run was the guy UH hired between sumlin and Herman