So sad

Jonnyeagle

I’m not sure what people expected in this game or why people expected such great things. 

I never expected a win in this game with any confidence.  It would have been nice to win one again, and I was glad to buy tickets and be there in green. But I’m just happy it was a competitive game. We were in it until the last half of the 4th quarter, unlike several other games this year and past bowl/championship games under SL. 

for me, this is what it boiled down to:

Our offensive strength?  Run game

Their defensive strength? Run defense

Not good for us. 

Their offensive strength? Pass game

Our defensive weakness? Secondary 

Also not good for us. 

People are fooling themselves if they think we were ever supposed to blow this team out of the water. Beatable, yes, unlike some previous bowl games. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Moobs said:

I’m not sure what people expected in this game or why people expected such great things. 

I never expected a win in this game with any confidence.  It would have been nice to win one again, and I was glad to buy tickets and be there in green. But I’m just happy it was a competitive game. We were in it until the last half of the 4th quarter, unlike several other games this year and past bowl/championship games under SL. 

for me, this is what it boiled down to:

Our offensive strength?  Run game

Their defensive strength? Run defense

Not good for us. 

Their offensive strength? Pass game

Our defensive weakness? Secondary 

Also not good for us. 

People are fooling themselves if they think we were ever supposed to blow this team out of the water. Beatable, yes, unlike some previous bowl games. 

Line was Miami Ohio -3

we were supposed to be competitive, we weren’t.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, MeanGreenPatriot said:

Line was Miami Ohio -3

I disagree. We had a legitimate chance until about 9 minutes left in the game when we turned it over on downs on their 4 yard line.

Even after that, one could argue that we still had a chance. I wouldn’t disagree with someone trying to make that argument. But I also won’t stand up to make that argument. 😂  But someone could make that argument. 

Edited by Moobs
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenPatriot said:

Line was Miami Ohio -3

That Miami minus 3 was with us having our star offensive player. You’ve seen the runs Torrey made this year. We were flat without him. Aune was our leading rusher for crying out loud. Pathetic ground game without the electricity of Torrey’s play. 

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

That Miami minus 3 was with us having our star offensive player. You’ve seen the runs Torrey made this year. We were flat without him. Aune was our leading rusher for crying out loud. Pathetic ground game without the electricity of Torrey’s play. 

Even so, it’s not like the guys behind Torrey are scrubs.  They’re all capable of executing the offense. We saw some legit struggles in the receiving corps when we lost Shorter, Bush, & that bozo Simpson for the year.  The drop off from those guys to Burns/Ward/Brown was very noticeable.  But Ragsdale/Adeyi/Johnson are all nice backs!  I just don’t understand why we bailed on what was working so well for several weeks… against the same stacked boxes.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Even so, it’s not like the guys behind Torrey are scrubs.  They’re all capable of executing the offense. We saw some legit struggles in the receiving corps when we lost Shorter, Bush, & that bozo Simpson for the year.  The drop off from those guys to Burns/Ward/Brown was very noticeable.  But Ragsdale/Adeyi/Johnson are all nice backs!  I just don’t understand why we bailed on what was working so well for several weeks… against the same stacked boxes.

They aren’t scrubs but they don’t have the twitch or explosiveness of Torrey. Our other backs are essentially grinders or power backs. Torrey is the only one with true pop, that true gamebreaking ability. His skills made life easier for the other backs because the D had to leave a little more cushion in case if a breakthrough. Without him, the just loaded up with no cushion and just hit us at the LOS over and over.

Edited by Cr1028

I never felt Torrey was a huge difference maker, but maybe there were some intangibles at play with Torrey that are hard to measure.

I liked these takes on our RBs:

On 12/2/2021 at 6:56 AM, BillySee58 said:

...during our win streak Ragsdale has run for 365 yards while Torrey has run for 361. Ragsdale has done it on 58 carries vs Torrey’s 84 carries. In Torrey’s defense he has been dealing with injury in the last 4 games but Ragsdale has just been more effective. He was recruited for this offense while Torrey was recruited for Harrell’s. I’ll be cool with whatever Torrey decides for the Bowl Game but if he plays I hope we motion him out wide for the scouts.

On 12/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, BillySee58 said:

Hot take: Ikaika is a more effective runner than Torrey in our veer and shoot offense, where nearly every run is a dive.

Edited by greenminer

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

I never felt Torrey was a huge difference maker, but maybe there were some intangibles at play with Torrey that are hard to measure.

I liked these takes on our RBs:

Had Torrey played and outperformed Ragsdale I would be willing to walk those back. But we saw a handful of games where Torrey was unable to break into the 4 yards/carry range bc the blocking wasn’t there. Not convinced yesterday would have been any difference with the lack of holes.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Had Torrey played and outperformed Ragsdale I would be willing to walk those back. But we saw a handful of games where Torrey was unable to break into the 4 yards/carry range bc the blocking wasn’t there. Not convinced yesterday would have been any difference with the lack of holes.

Never know..typically more explosive runners can easily take advantage of smaller lanes in size and time. Hard to just assume that. 

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Our run game did not fail because Torrey was out, it failed because Miami never had a reason to pull their safeties out of the box. Aune couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a ducking boat, as he has proven for two years. 

Yep, this is exactly what happened. 

• Upvote 1