Bowl Attendance

Mean Green Matt

UTSA had 15,801 for their Frisco Bowl. We had 11,721.

I don't believe the percentage of opinions posted on this message board are an accurate reflection of where our fan base is. My theory is that the majority of our fan base is done with Seth, and has been for some time (even our regular season attendance at Apogee was lacking). I believe there are far more fans that want Seth gone than want him back. They just don't post it on this board. And, the majority of those fans just simply stayed home.

Even among the fans in attendance, there was little energy. Nothing like our two HOD Bowl games.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 4

30 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

UTSA had 15,801 for their Frisco Bowl. We had 11,721.

I don't believe the percentage of opinions posted on this message board are an accurate reflection of where our fan base is. My theory is that the majority of our fan base is done with Seth, and has been for some time (even our regular season attendance at Apogee was lacking). I believe there are far more fans that want Seth gone than want him back. They just don't post it on this board. And, the majority of those fans just simply stayed home.

Even among the fans in attendance, there was little energy. Nothing like our two HOD Bowl games.

Unfortunately, a large majority just don't care.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, UNT86 said:

We sold every ticket made available to us. The bowl gave us 5000, Miami 5000, and kept 5000. Many of the 5000 the bowl kept were prime seats.

I spoke with multiple people with multiple Bowl sponsoring organizations yesterday.  They were given blocks of “free” tickets that these companies had problems giving away.  

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Rudy said:

Not including people that didn't show up due to extenuating circumstances, the turnout today was pathetic. There's no sugarcoating it. The NT side was nowhere close to being full. We started in our seats on the Miami side, then picked out seats across the field on the 50 to go sit in, walked over there, and sat in the first 4 rows.  Given the location, the weather, the FREE food AND alcohol at tailgating, playing a winnable bowl game, this game should have been sold out. 

You clearly don’t know your teams profile outside people with direct connections to UNT.  I used to have 4 season tickets.  Once my immediate family stop wanting to go I couldn’t fill those seats FREE with free transportation included.  I guess More than half of Denton doesn’t care about Mean Green Football.  Furthermore alumni engagement is terrible.  I don’t think the numbers are available but if they were what percentage of local alumni do you think go to one game a year?  If it is anything above 10% I would be shocked.  Until this program starts winning CONSISTENTLY expectation of selling 20k tickets for playing “off brand” teams that aren’t in our region are misguided.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

You clearly don’t know your teams profile outside people with direct connections to UNT.  I used to have 4 season tickets.  Once my immediate family stop wanting to go I couldn’t fill those seats FREE with free transportation included.  I guess More than half of Denton doesn’t care about Mean Green Football.  Furthermore alumni engagement is terrible.  I don’t think the numbers are available but if they were what percentage of local alumni do you think go to one game a year?  If it is anything above 10% I would be shocked.  Until this program starts winning CONSISTENTLY expectation of selling 20k tickets for playing “off brand” teams that aren’t in our region are misguided.

The opponent shouldn't have even mattered. Our team made it to bowl eligibility then got assigned a local bowl. 20k should've came running. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The opponent shouldn't have even mattered. Our team made it to bowl eligibility then got assigned a local bowl. 20k should've came running. 

6-6 playing another mediocre 6-6 team from probably the worse FBS conference.  We have a hard time getting over 20k for conference home games, with cheaper tickets, that don’t require people to take the day off to attend.  So your bleeding green heart says that 20k is reasonable but logically given the circumstances and history here it isn’t.   

And with all that said, they rewarded those who attended with their 4th straight bad bowl game performance and 5th straight bowl loss.  So 20k is supposed to take time off work and pay higher price and come running to see a mediocre at Best product?  That position has no logic behind it.

This program doesn’t have 20k diehard fans. We have about 10k.  But on the bright side you just inspired me to make a year end donation of another $125.  Hopefully I will see you in the Cabana or TD Terrace next year (the 5 year commitment for HUB Club is beyond my means)   I love my school and this program but I am realistic with my attendance expectations.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

6-6 playing another mediocre 6-6 team from probably the worse FBS conference.  We have a hard time getting over 20k for conference home games, with cheaper tickets, that don’t require people to take the day off to attend.  So your bleeding green heart says that 20k is reasonable but logically given the circumstances and history here it isn’t.   

And with all that said, they rewarded those who attended with their 4th straight bad bowl game performance and 5th straight bowl loss.  So 20k is supposed to take time off work and pay higher price and come running to see a mediocre at Best product?  That position has no logic behind it.

This program doesn’t have 20k diehard fans. We have about 10k.  But on the bright side you just inspired me to make a year end donation of another $125.  Hopefully I will see you in the Cabana or TD Terrace next year (the 5 year commitment for HUB Club is beyond my means)   I love my school and this program but I am realistic with my attendance expectations.  

I absolutely get where you are coming from, but we needed somewhere around 6% of students and alumni in this area to show up to fill that stadium. That counts 0 Miami fans, 0 parents, friends, family of those alums and students, 0 casual observers, 0 t-shirt fans, etc. We are not SMU that has next to nothing to pull from for a fan base. That makes our situation much, much worse. We could have been playing Hardin Simmons at 8am yesterday and there would be no excuse not to have 17k people there (or whatever the mysterious capacity is). 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

would be no excuse not to have 17k people there (or whatever the mysterious capacity is). 

I get you but that is that program’s market position here.  That is huge part of the reason we can’t afford to hold on to a mediocre coach.  Until we get to that 6% number in this market the arrow needs to be pointed up in on the field production.  Minimally we need 4 straight winning season to produce a couple of graduating classes of diehard fans/alumni and get to that 6%.  I took classes here during the last part of Dickey’s Sun Belt run.  After the military I came back graduated in 2008.  I don’t think I am an engaged alumni/fan today if I didn’t experience part of Dickey’s run.  I also spent time at Fort Riley down the road from KSU and got to see modest program’s growth with a great coach.  I just see so much wasted potential here I can’t get mad at the apathy.  I think it is earned. 

36 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I absolutely get where you are coming from, but we needed somewhere around 6% of students and alumni in this area to show up to fill that stadium. That counts 0 Miami fans, 0 parents, friends, family of those alums and students, 0 casual observers, 0 t-shirt fans, etc. We are not SMU that has next to nothing to pull from for a fan base. That makes our situation much, much worse. We could have been playing Hardin Simmons at 8am yesterday and there would be no excuse not to have 17k people there (or whatever the mysterious capacity is). 

We’re you at the game?  I was on the Miami side and I thought our crowd looked very respectable.  The event before the game was packed and seemed to be well organized.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

We’re you at the game?  I was on the Miami side and I thought our crowd looked very respectable.  The event before the game was packed and seemed to be well organized.

Yes. And the North Texas side at no point was even close to full. That is objective reality. And, even if it were, filling one side of a tiny stadium is not exactly respectable. 

I agree the event before was well done. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3

7 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

I don’t really understand why people on here don’t understand we don’t deserve a big bowl crowd. Did you watch yesterday’s game?

This and this coach is going in to year 7 not year 3.  6-6 is not a wining season.  He entered this season with 3 losing season abs 2 winning seasons.  There is no reason for optimism that Seth will lead this team to program altering success in 2022 or beyond and a victory over Miami of Ohio would NOT have  change that.  Maybe more hope for an ABOVE 0.500 season but 9 wins would be a foolishly higher expectation.  And It wouldn’t help recruiting.  Local recruits going that far away to play FBS football probably aren’t that highly rated unless they have family ties in MAC Terriotry.    Casual fans don’t even know Miami Ohio’s mascot let alone football history.  That AND a lot of fans would have to use vacation time to attend and/or change holiday plans,  15k was the Best we could hoped for.  

14 hours ago, Shark84 said:

Unfortunately, a large majority just don't care.

I agree, but I think think they don't care because we don't win enough. The less engaged UNT fans aren't buying Littrell as our coach anymore. Too many 0- for the bowl season years under Seth. If they were still engaged, we would have had a sellout. Everyone knows Littrell needs to go.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

No, CUSA is the worst FBS conference by a long shot.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

23 hours ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Blah blah y’all hush. I’m here right now. Tailgate was awesome. Home side is stacked and looks great. Other side is embarrassingly awful. 

Aune has thrown some god awful balls. We should be up two scores. The defense hasn’t been great either. It’s the weird game where I feel like we should be up big but we’ve also been kinda shitty. Who knows. Let’s go dominate the second half. #GMG

Tailgating was indeed awesome. Great to meet some of y’all and see people there like us at 8 AM

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Miami was one play away from going to the MAC championship game.   Without our game MAC is 0-4 in  bowl games so far.  🤷🏽‍♂️

CUSA WEST is 1 & 3. UNT was 2 wins from CUSA Championship. But you are right. Deciding which is worse is like 2 bald men fighting over a comb.The SBC is probably better that either one.

• Haha 1