Somtimes, It Boggles The Mind

Keep in mind that this is YOUR MONEY.  I have bolded some text.

"Jeremy Sheridan, who directs the office of investigations at the Secret Service, called it "the largest fraud scheme that I've ever encountered."

"Due to the volume and pace at which these funds were made available and a lot of the requirements that were lifted in order to release them, criminals seized on that opportunity and were very, very successful — and continue to be successful," he said.

While the enormous scope of Covid relief fraud has been clear for some time, scant attention has been paid to the role of organized foreign criminal groups, who move taxpayer money overseas via laundering schemes involving payment apps and "money mules," law enforcement officials said.

"This is like letting people just walk right into Fort Knox and take the gold, and nobody even asked any questions," said Blake Hall, the CEO of ID.me, which has contracts with 27 states to verify identities."

Government Cannot Be Trusted With Your Money. Ever.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 1

Not to excuse any bit of it, but this was the known side effect of the pace and magnitude of the pandemic stimulus. We learned from our mistakes in the GFC in slowing down and taking more care with where stimulus was going caused for delays in funds and ultimately a larger financial depression. This happens all the time in govt, no matter the regime, no matter the outlay, there is always fraud/excess. 

• Upvote 2

If your investment company took money from you, was lackadaisical about protecting it, and much of it was stolen, there would be outrage and congressional hearings (for show), and people would ostensibly go to jail.

If the government does it, nobody gives a shit, nobody is held accountable, the press doesn't care, and people make excuses for it. 

In fact, that same public will reelect the idiots that allowed it to happen in the first place with no accountability. 

The public will not hold them accountable because they are "on my team".

Because their ineptitude and incompetence hasn't yet hurt the public enough for the public to give a shit.

Because "I got mine, baby."

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1