Graham Harrell

El Paso Eagle

First, this is not a "I think we should hire GH" post. I think it's strange that with all of the changes, his name does not seems to be coming up on and of the "rumors" for HC or OC. Maybe he has something lined up, but just strange that someone's whose name came up a lot is not getting mentions.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Professor Lambeau said:

I always like it when a team struggles and does not play well there are those players who talk about the need to be creative - How about those same players also talk about they failed to perform. I agree coaching needs to adapt, but it's nice when players take responsibility also.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I always like it when a team struggles and does not play well there are those players who talk about the need to be creative - How about those same players also talk about they failed to perform. I agree coaching needs to adapt, but it's nice when players take responsibility also.

Today's young gen taking responsibility? Haha, sike. Point the finger and improv the excuse. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Oh look, everyone! A 21st century anomaly! 

Is it?  Along with Willie Taggart, Jim Harbaugh, and Mario Cristobal?  And Willie killed his career (at least for the time being) when he went east, not west.  Your premise is untenable--plenty of coaches have built their careers at west coast stops.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Is it?  Along with Willie Taggart, Jim Harbaugh, and Mario Cristobal?  And Willie killed his career (at least for the time being) when he went east, not west.  Your premise is untenable--plenty of coaches have built their careers at west coast stops.

I didn't really mean all careers out west die, literally. However, I find it funny that your 3 examples are currently coaching in the eastward half of the US. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

GH is still the OC at USC and it's not that crazy to assume he might stay if he doesn't land at another P5 OC position.  Check out this tidbit from an article on the Riley hire.  

The first quarterback Riley ever coached was none other than USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell. Harrell told The Times, “Really Lincoln was the first person that taught me Mike Leach’s offense. He was only a year or two older than me, but he knew the offense. We were so close in age, it became a friendship, but he was a friend I respected. In the beginning, it was because he was the only guy that was around to watch film with me.”

As of September 2019, Harrell and Riley kept in touch often via text message. They clearly remained friends throughout the years.

“He bought us steak knives with Harrell engraved in them,” Harrell said. “Every time we get steaks and have friends over, they ask, ‘Where did you get these knives?’ Always my wife will say, ‘The Rileys bought them for us as a wedding gift.’ He tells me to come and visit him. I’m sure he’s got a pretty nice home now, making what he’s making.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I didn't really mean all careers out west die, literally. However, I find it funny that your 3 examples are currently coaching in the eastward half of the US. 

Where the majority of jobs (and population) are located? 😱

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

GH and SL were both benefactors of the Mason Fine era at UNT.  GH used it to get the USC OC job.  SL turned down the K-State job.  Now both are struggling.  Coincidence?  

I have never been sure that Seth was offered the K-State job. Usually when a coach says he is withdrawing his name from consideration for a job  means he didn't get an offer.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

13 hours ago, NT80 said:

GH and SL were both benefactors of the Mason Fine era at UNT.  GH used it to get the USC OC job.  SL turned down the K-State job.  Now both are struggling.  Coincidence?  

Hard to prove, but Mason's success was probably related to Harrell being the OC. We haven't had a good qb coach since.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Hard to prove, but Mason's success was probably related to Harrell being the OC. We haven't had a good qb coach since.

Not to mention other QB's coming in and being servicable. Quinn Shanbour led some scoring drives against Iowa and FAU. Alec Morris almost won the bowl game. Kason Martin(albeit in garbage time) playing well in the New Mexico bowl.

Every QB Harrell coached looked way more competent than what we have now. It's a direct result of the playcalling and QB coaching, both of which have taken a nosedive since he left.

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...