DRC Sunday column: Guiding UNT to bowl shows why Seth Littrell is great fit with Mean Green

Brett Vito

13 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Be careful telling the truth around here. Old Denton isn't interested in facts. They are content with the status quo.

Yep. Get to a bowl and all is well in MG land! Seth should be canned after this season. I think it’s a must when this team heads into the AAC. 

• Upvote 4

On 12/19/2021 at 8:16 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

Wow... I hope Vito is just speculating about Littrell's future. I really don't want to think about this fight until after our bowl game Thursday. I'll just say Littrell isn't good enough to successfully lead UNT into the American, and anyone that is being honest with themself knows it. I hope our administration makes the right move and we can finally build a winner that contends for conference titles.

Old Denton can begin down-voting my post now. Ha!

I'm doubling down on this post. Seth is what he is. Time to fire him.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I'm doubling down on this post. Seth is what he is. Time to fire him.

OK so say you are right and you very well may be.  What if we won’t have an adequate replacement for him?  Is it possible we wait a year for a better candidate to become available.  You are staying it like we just have to fire Seth no matter what.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jonnyeagle said:

OK so say you are right and you very well may be.  What if we won’t have an adequate replacement for him?  Is it possible we wait a year for a better candidate to become available.  You are staying it like we just have to fire Seth no matter what.  

There would be a line all the way around campus of better coaches ready to apply if Wren gives the word. Then again Wren may already have this lined up. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

There are better coaches out there. UNT pays near the top of the G5. We have great facilities. We are located in the 5th largest media market. And, we are moving to the American. Tons of coaches will want this job. The Miami OH coach is better than Seth and he only makes about $500k a year (not that I want him).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

57 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Do you still believe this?

It told me what I needed to know, so yes.

Among others, you were constantly reminding me that the winning streak was against bad teams.  I knew that.  But lack of evidence (wins against good teams) is not proof for for something else (we are still a terrible team). The game planning during the win streak looked different.  The attitude was better.  I still maintain that.  I needed to see it, however, against stiffer competition. ride the win streak with SL until we know for sure.

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

I was never of the opinion that the win streak meant this team was great.  I just felt like it was okay to keep riding it until we face better competition.

It crossed my mind today that part of the reason our loss was so awful, is that it appeared SL went back to the old formula.  Like he abandoned what was working.  I was hoping to hear and read all the postgame analysis, to see if others think that way too.

15 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Among others, you were constantly reminding me that the winning streak was against bad teams.  I knew that.  But lack of evidence (wins against good teams) is not proof for for something else (we are still a terrible team). The game planning during the win streak looked different.  The attitude was better.  I still maintain that.  I needed to see it, however, against stiffer competition. ride the win streak with SL until we know for sure.

It crossed my mind today that part of the reason our loss was so awful, is that it appeared SL went back to the old formula.  Like he abandoned what was working.  I was hoping to hear and read all the postgame analysis, to see if others think that way too.

The competition really wasn't that much better. Miami OH only beat one team with a winning record this season. And worst of all....

Tonight's win over UNT broke their 30 game losing streak to OOC FBS opponents. Yes, Miami OH had not won an OOC game against an FBS team since 2011. Seth needs to go.

• Thanks 2

On 12/22/2021 at 6:49 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

Be careful telling the truth around here. Old Denton isn't interested in facts. They are content with the status quo.

Old Denton loves Seth. 

They donate money, get their names on the side of the IPF, grab a few dinners with him and they're happy as a pig in shit.  They'll spend the rest of their retirement years on Hub Club or Suite tix and move on to the next life when it's all done. 

As I've said before, Old Denton sees Apogee as a social circle. If the team wins 5 or wins 9, it doesn't really matter to them they're there for the buffet and socializing.  Not a single one of them will hold back money till a new coach is hired, the football program isn't that mature despite it's long history.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

What was working was Torrey making mindblowing runs. We didn’t have that tool in the toolchest today and I’d really like to know the why. Novil has a better chance of sticking in the pros than both Torrey and Sanders yet he played.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

What was working was Torrey making mindblowing runs. We didn’t have that tool in the toolchest today and I’d really like to know the why. Novil has a better chance of sticking in the pros than both Torrey and Sanders yet he played.

Is this just the assumption (not playing to keep himself healthy for the pro day)?   Haven’t seen anything come out saying exactly why.  Poor guy has taken a beating on here, needlessly if it’s not true.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Is this just the assumption (not playing to keep himself healthy for the pro day)?   Haven’t seen anything come out saying exactly why.  Poor guy has taken a beating on here, needlessly if it’s not true.

Yea purely an assumption but the graphic put out when the bowl was announced gave the indication that he wasn’t going to be featured in the game. I feel like he got what he wanted, got a little NIL money and then got an agent. Maybe I’m way off but it sure looks that way on the surface.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Yea purely an assumption but the graphic put out when the bowl was announced gave the indication that he wasn’t going to be featured in the game. I feel like he got what he wanted, got a little NIL money and then got an agent. Maybe I’m way off but it sure looks that way on the surface.

Wtf are you talking about? You think our starting running back sold some t-shirts and then decided he was Deon Sanders? Get your head out of your ass. You do realize he was injured basically the entire year? Doesn’t that seem like the most logical answer (or COVId protocols). Why would your default position be to crap in our best offense player who played injured throughout the season? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

On 12/19/2021 at 6:27 PM, Rudy said:

With the late season run, he will be back for next year, but to blindly call him a perfect fit is indicative of the small time thinking that still remains in Denton. 

This deserved nothing but confirmation.  But it seems some still have a problem if you recognize the emperor has no clothes (bowl wins, conference titles, or overall winning record) on.  This is 6 years in we didn’t boot up this program in 2010 and as we see with several programs that is no barrier to success at the G5 level.

14 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Wtf are you talking about? You think our starting running back sold some t-shirts and then decided he was Deon Sanders? Get your head out of your ass. You do realize he was injured basically the entire year? Doesn’t that seem like the most logical answer (or COVId protocols). Why would your default position be to crap in our best offense player who played injured throughout the season? 

Well hopefully the real reason will surface and I can feel bad about what I said as a buyer of said tshirt.

• Haha 1