Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

DRC Sunday column: Guiding UNT to bowl shows why Seth Littrell is great fit with Mean Green


Brett Vito
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Littrell has definitely earned being here next year, but a new contract would be a terrible error. 

Littrell has I believe 2 years left on his contract.  He should and will be evaluated after next season.    

I see absolutely nothing to be gained by NT increasing Littrell compensation and I doubt Littrell would accept less.  

Increasing the buyout on his contract, would be the only NT benefit.  

If Littrell has a great next season, than he can be rewarded either here or by another team.   There is a great chance for NT to be very good in 2022.

 

 

I wonder if there’s a possibility for a Jim Harbaigh-like contract amendment. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

 

Wow... I hope Vito is just speculating about Littrell's future. I really don't want to think about this fight until after our bowl game Thursday. I'll just say Littrell isn't good enough to successfully lead UNT into the American, and anyone that is being honest with themself knows it. I hope our administration makes the right move and we can finally build a winner that contends for conference titles.

Old Denton can begin down-voting my post now. Ha!

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 13
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Littrell has definitely earned being here next year, but a new contract would be a terrible error. 

Littrell has I believe 2 years left on his contract.  He should and will be evaluated after next season.    

I see absolutely nothing to be gained by NT increasing Littrell compensation and I doubt Littrell would accept less.  

Increasing the buyout on his contract, would be the only NT benefit.  

If Littrell has a great next season, than he can be rewarded either here or by another team.   There is a great chance for NT to be very good in 2022.

 

 

Littrell has not earned next year. Some of you have very low expectations around here for a 6th year coach. After 6 seasons Littrell is a .500 coach. Only at UNT is that considered deserving of another season. Marshall had the reigning C-USA coach of the year and they canned his butt. Old Denton needs to expect more. I know I expect more.

  • Upvote 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Littrell has not earned next year. Some of you have very low expectations around here for a 6th year coach. After 6 seasons Littrell is a .500 coach. Only at UNT is that considered deserving of another season. Marshall had the reigning C-USA coach of the year and they canned his butt. Old Denton needs to expect more. I know I expect more.

You seem like a very level headed guy.  I wish you the best but trying to reason with these people is really difficult.  Everyone is back on the Seth bandwagon it seems.

  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Coach Andy Mac changed the title to DRC Sunday column: Guiding UNT to bowl shows why Seth Littrell is perfect
1 minute ago, Tom McKrackin said:

You seem like a very level headed guy.  I wish you the best but trying to reason with these people is really difficult.  Everyone is back on the Seth bandwagon it seems.

I know it's really sad to see so many happily continue to back mediocrity. This Old Denton mentality is the reason why UNT remains a sleeping giant in football. What makes it even more astonishing is that the Mean Green fan base can see a real coach just across the street at the Super Pit. McCasland is building UNT a monster of a basketball program, but the same fans can't or won't see that Littrell isn't made from the same metal. Vito has to see the difference, right?

  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a coaching point of view this is truly Seth’s finest year. Getting Bennett out of retirement, changing the offense to a run based and maybe most importantly convincing a very YOUNG team not to give up. The story book ending would be winning the bowl game. This will be the most stacked team going into next year that I have seen If he improves the qb play next year will be really special. GMG 

  • Upvote 12
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Brett Vito changed the title to DRC Sunday column: Guiding UNT to bowl shows why Seth Littrell is great fit with Mean Green
1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Littrell has not earned next year. Some of you have very low expectations around here for a 6th year coach. After 6 seasons Littrell is a .500 coach. Only at UNT is that considered deserving of another season. Marshall had the reigning C-USA coach of the year and they canned his butt. Old Denton needs to expect more. I know I expect more.

Sure he has, and it seems to make you very sad

Spare me, your usual come back about fans of low expectations 

  • Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

From a coaching point of view this is truly Seth’s finest year. Getting Bennett out of retirement, changing the offense to a run based and maybe most importantly convincing a very YOUNG team not to give up. The story book ending would be winning the bowl game. This will be the most stacked team going into next year that I have seen If he improves the qb play next year will be really special. GMG 

Wow. 6-6 and it's his finest year. That alone should tell you he isn't the right coach. He loses to good teams and beats bad teams, most of the time. Sure we have the UTSA win, but that is the only quality win Littrell has picked up in several years.

  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It is not unreasonable to want to see this winning streak continue. We're not even calling for his contract to be extended.  Just to see how 2022 plays out.

Littrell got 2021 and we're still mediocre. He needs to go. A better coach should get more out of the talent we have, and bring in even higher caliber players.

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL not even close. Has he earned another year? Maybe but I still think a bowl game should be the deciding factor. Does he deserve an extension or new contract? As of right now he doesn’t. He has to win 8-10 wins next season and then you can retain him for another deal but this time a smart one not another highly paid, long term deal

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Sure he has, and it seems to make you very sad

Spare me, your usual come back about fans of low expectations 

I can't help it if too many Old Denton fans around here have no standards for our football program. If you don't want to read the truth, hold this coaching staff accountable for their .500 record after 6 seasons and demand they are fired.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Littrell got 2021 and we're still mediocre. He needs to go. A better coach should get more out of the talent we have, and bring in even higher caliber players.

Look, we are on the same page, but you're caught up in punishing SL and not the expectation to win.

Any new hire is a risk.  If the expectation is to have a coach that wins as much as possible, and I assume you want that as much as I do, then the current version of SL (the one on a 6 game winning streak including a T25 win) has less risk in 2022 than any other potential hire.  EDIT: I would say not only is he less risk, but there is increased probability (not certainty) that we will win 8+ games.  As long as your expectation is championships, Isn't that the path we want to be on? There is growing sentiment that we are good QB play removed from being a contender. /end edit

If you just want to dwell on previous version of SL, the one who couldn't win big games, then all you actually want to do is punish SL and get rid of him, and not necessarily take the best chance to win as much as possible in 2022.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He will be back next year.  He saved his job for at least next season.  There better not be any extension on his contract until we see a lot better results ( wins plus next year).  I hope the bowl turns out well for UNT.  If he does not get the win I am not sure he should be back next year.  But I am not the one who makes those choices.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

Look, we are on the same page, but you're caught up in punishing SL and not the expectation to win.

Any new hire is a risk.  If the expectation is to have a coach that wins as much as possible, then the current version of SL (the one on a 6 game winning streak including a T25 win) has less risk in 2022 than any other potential hire.

If you just want to dwell on previous version of SL, the one who couldn't win big games, then all you really want to do is punish him and get rid of him, and not necessarily take the best chance to win as much as possible in 2022.

There is no previous version of Littrell. He is what he is. One win over UTSA at Apogee in the pouring rain doesn't mean he has finally figured out anything. And I'm not interested in punishing anyone. I just want a better coach at UNT. I'm sick and tired of watching our team under preform year after year. Littrell has had his chance. .500 isn't good enough. I'm ready to build for the American. The bigger risk is hanging on to Littrell in hopes that he has figured out how to be a better coach. We can't afford to throw away another season under Seth.

  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m of the belief that he needs to go. He should have been let go at the conclusion of the regular season. 
 

Hold Up Television GIF by CBC

Letting him go now or after the bowl game would be a mistake. It’s too late to start a search for a new head coach, much less the staff that fills in under them. He needs to stay for another year, regardless of the bowl game outcome. 

  • Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.