Todd Dodge say goodbye to football forever

Coach Andy Mac

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Fixed it for you

I’m going to play devils advocate on this (partially). There is certainly something to be said about his coaching in affluent districts with significant resources, but the “all players funneling in” argument really doesn’t work. That’s what the classifications are for. And Westlake is somewhere (if I counted right) around the 110th largest school in the 6A classification.  

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Guess what, some coaches are better suited for certain levels. As an failed in the NFL, as did Meyer this year, after achieving huge success in college. Yes, he had the benefit of coaching at affluent schools but other coaches at those same schools didn’t realize the same success. The man deserves all the accolades he has received although I got tired of the “Dodge Lovefest” during the game. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Regardless of win/loss record. He had a hand in getting us Apogee so I am grateful to him for that. He also brought us Lance Dunbar, Antonio Johnson, Mason Y’Barbo, Zach Orr, Brandin Byrd, Will Wright, Brelan Chancellor, and the other DT. He didn’t get it done on the field but did make a positive impact on the program in a roundabout way.

He was like the Dallas Cowboys for most of the last two decades. Did everything right but the football. 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

He never should have brought a high school staff to coach at the FBS level...especially the Defensive Coordinator.

Right.   I think a lot of people poo-poo on Coach Ford’s offense, but if there was any semblance of a defense, his offense was more than fine.  I think Meager’s SMU game & Vizza’s #’s were proof of that.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, Mo Green said:

He wanted to keep Coach Russell and some of the other defensive coaches but rv told him NO!

I assume you know this as fact???? I think you are wrong in your statement. Just another false statement that comes out from time to time.  Todd Dodge is a wonderful person and has been a role model to thousands of young men not only in football but also in life after football. Yes he made a mistake by bringing his High School Coaches with him, but that was his decision ALONE. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Guess what, some coaches are better suited for certain levels. As an failed in the NFL, as did Meyer this year, after achieving huge success in college. Yes, he had the benefit of coaching at affluent schools but other coaches at those same schools didn’t realize the same success. The man deserves all the accolades he has received although I got tired of the “Dodge Lovefest” during the game. 

Other coaches may not have had the same level of success, but let's not pretend that Todd Dodge has ever "built" a program.  

Austin Westlake only had one state title before Dodge got there (1996)...but they had played in the state title game in 1994, 1996 (won), 2006, 2009, and 2015.   Take a look at how many losing seasons Austin Westlake has had, ever.  

Southlake Carroll, before Dodge got there, had state titles in 1988, 1992, and 1993.   In his time there, Bob Ledbetter led Southlake to an overall record of 113-5-1 including a 72 game winning streak.  Since Dodge left there Hal Wasson added a title in 2011 and Riley had them in the title game in 2020 (admittedly, losing to Todd Dodge's Westlake team) and the state semis this year.   

He is a master as taking a Maserati and tuning up the engine to make it go even faster.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, 9299 said:

I assume you know this as fact???? I think you are wrong in your statement. Just another false statement that comes out from time to time.  Todd Dodge is a wonderful person and has been a role model to thousands of young men not only in football but also in life after football. Yes he made a mistake by bringing his High School Coaches with him, but that was his decision ALONE. 

Thus sayeth 9299.   It’s most-certainly time to put that rumor (one that I always bought into) to bed.

Thanks for all you have done & continue to do for our school @9299!!