Thoughts on this season thus far

emmitt01

1. Our defense when locked in and focused is SUFFOCATING.  Would like to see them find a way to maintain the 2nd half energy defensively for a full game.  When they turn it on that defense is really fun to watch.  

2. Our ball movement negates the size advantage teams have over some of the smaller guards and allows much cleaner looks, would like to see less 1v1 and more continued use of ball movement.  We seem to be doing a much better job of it the past few games, but still have spurts where it hurts us.  I like getting Bell in the post but don't like when it sticks down there. 

3.  This team is really fun to watch compete and battle.

4.  Would really like to see Wright rotate in even if it is in 2 minute spurts, after watching La Tech last night, and knowing what WKU has in terms of bigs.  It makes me very worried that we only have 1 true Big ready to play.   Yes, I get it, if we went Bell/Scott combo now that big guy has to guard on the perimeter but I worry about them picking up fouls guarding those bigs in the post. 

5.  I would like to see Scott attack and shoot more pull ups and Dunk/Layups.  He seems uncomfortable at the 3 point line last few shots, but I know he has a good shot he showed that vs KU.  

6. GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

100% agree. 
This win was the biggest non conference win in at least a decade. After a sloppy end to the 1st half, you could tell Mac chewed them out because everyone looked more focused and played the best 2nd half since the Purdue game.

With our schedule being top 50 hardest in the country going into the season, I was expecting more of a struggle than we are seeing right now. Losing Hamlet, Reese and Simmons had me worried about what kind of basketball is played before CUSA play, but man did they prove me wrong.

Defense is #4 in the country in points allowed, top 25 overall. Everyone is fitting into their role perfectly, so that’s why we are seeing this defense play so well. JJ is by far the best out of them all, and I would argue is one of the best in the conference. Hands are everywhere.

3 ball has been falling more consistently than years past, from my view point. Not sure statistically, but they seem more confident most of the time. Like Emmitt said, Bell has been erratic as of recent. He looked less aggressive and out of sorts yesterday until the mid 2nd half. He’s should be the leader of this team, so I’m excited to see how he can fare down the stretch of the season.

CUSA is going to be tougher than ever. About every team minus UTSA and maybe USM/FIU will be very difficult. Western is starting to look good, UAB is just so good defensively and should gain more confidence going into cusa play, La Tech has Lofton that’s all you need to know.

I’m so excited we have McCasland leading this team because I know we will be competing for the conference championship title, hopefully in front of thousands of Mean Green fans!!

• Upvote 6

We are looking like a solid 20+ win team and favorites to win the conference. This defense is the best we have had since I have been watching UNT basketball (I think…). The ball movement is a lot better this year and seems to be masking the fact we have a few undersized guards in there. I really didn’t want Murray back, but he making me eat my words and I will take it. 

If Thomas Bell could create his own shot, Wright can be the post player we thought he would be coming in as a transfer, and either Browne or Zephyr can come in at least for a few minute stretch to give ours guards some rest I believe we will be in the round of 32 again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

For a team with so much high end roster turnover, the composure this squad plays with naturally points to incredible work by the coaching staff but I think it also highlights the work the players have put in with each other since the final whistle of the 'Nova game.

The crazy thing about that 20-0 run is that nothing about it was fluky or irregular. There was no unconscious shooting display. No. It was just a sequencing of "do your job" defense and patient, "get our shot" offense.

This team plays with a confidence that proves their buy in on the "toughest team wins" mantra.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

My one complaint is when Bell starts to back his man down, everyone else stands around and watches.  We need players moving so he can kick it back out if needed.  Agree with everything else that has been stated.

Roster wise, I do worry about the lack of depth behind Abu.  His physical transformation from last year to this year is unbelievable.  He still has beautiful touch around the rim, but at times I would like to see him attack the rim and finish strong with a dunk or power move.  Then again, that may not be his style.

This will be another fun season of basketball.  McCasland is incredible and we need to do whatever we can to hold on to him.  Ross Hodge is also incredibly valuable to what we do and has some nice dance moves.

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

We are looking like a solid 20+ win team and favorites to win the conference.

Tier 5:  Bottom dwellers 
Tier 4: Middle of the pack 
Tier 3: No one wants to play them, but they will give up too many losses. 
Tier 2: Contenders (LT, UAB, UNT, WKU)
Tier 1: Favorites (no one)

The top of this league is actually very good.  Probably (definitely?) better than last year.  I didn't feel like there was a front runner for CUSA, but I would think if we play like we did in the 2H yesterday it's going to be hard to pick against us.

Still, I think favorite is too strong for right now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

I hope the public at large and especially the folks in Denton (students and general public) start to realize how special this team is. This is a legit, competitive D-1 basketball team, the best I’ve watched at UNT in 20 + years and they deserve that level of support in the stands. I always drink the Green Kool-Aid but that’s real talk. The way we play defense allows us to be in any and every game. Coach Mac is a gem and my greatest hope in us keeping him is that (a) he’s a DFW native and wants to stay here and (b) he wants to be the man who built a lasting legacy on this program. We’re about 5 minutes of basketball away from being 9-1 this season with our only loss to Kansas. And the way Mac coaches and builds our players as the season progresses, we’re just now getting started. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Agree with almost all the comments.

My only concern and it is not new with McCasland is that he sticks to 7 players getting meaningful minutes.

I too wonder why Wright hasn't got to play more in a position of great need.  My guess is that he is not good defensively and that will keep you on the bench on Mac's team. 

I would like to see more of the newcomers and that probably not going to happen unless there is an early blowout game. 

• Upvote 2