Coach Lama on ITA Coaches Podcast

untbowler

8 hours ago, untbowler said:

Alongside Coach Goffi (SCAR Men's Coach)

Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/3mbW6VH

Thanks, for the notice

Thought, Lama handled it well; but that interviewer was a drag.

P5 is not a thing  in tennis, and he seemed very dismissive about what he considered lower tier teams. 

One basic theme, Sajay you have coached at the highest level; how is it to be at  now lowly NT.

I did think it was interesting, that international players are almost purchased from overseas agents.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Young team for UNT this year.  It will be interesting to see how they do, as well as how they competete in the AAC.  All the Sun Belt championships didn't translate to CUSA championships.  Coaching a team of international players must be a real challenge for any coach, with a lot more variables than just having American players, but that is the landscapre of collegiate tennis.  I enjoyed the interview and could "hear" the passion Coach Lama has for the game!

Here's hoping Coach Lama and the team is successful this spring.  GMG

• Upvote 2

On 12/16/2021 at 9:58 PM, Zeleny' Orel said:

Young team for UNT this year.  It will be interesting to see how they do, as well as how they competete in the AAC.  All the Sun Belt championships didn't translate to CUSA championships.  Coaching a team of international players must be a real challenge for any coach, with a lot more variables than just having American players, but that is the landscapre of collegiate tennis.  I enjoyed the interview and could "hear" the passion Coach Lama has for the game!

Here's hoping Coach Lama and the team is successful this spring.  GMG

I personally feel Lama needs to produce this year or next year or change needs to be made. CUSA teams have started passing UNT and AAC is even tougher. Look at Old Dominion. They have 2 ranked singles players and a Top 5 ranked Doubles team. Team needs to produce. 

As for the international players, that is how a mid-major team wins, most Public non-p5 schools are not going to get the 4*/5* American Players needed to compete. That is why you need International Players, of course international players can be hit or miss, but most coaches will get a foot in the door and create a pipeline for talent. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Did the makeup match with TCU show us anything?

really hard to say, TCU got stomped by Bama 4-0, Bama is middle of the road SEC. Hard to tell. The team did go out and beat up on weaker UTSA and MTSU. 

I can not get a read on this team. #1/2 Singles looks strong, but depth could be an issue. They could be a Top 5 CUSA team, but do not see them being competitive with Rice, FIU, or ODU right now. FAU looks good as well looking at early results.

Liberty match and USF match this weekend will be good to follow.

• Upvote 1