Left Behind in the Portal

El Paso Eagle

In the past, players were just encouraged to leave; now they show up in the portal.

Of course, there are some legitimate transfers with the player choosing to leave for a better destination.   However, I wonder how many of those are not already recruited by another team and the portal is just used to camouflage the illegal recruiting of players.  

Unlike basketball, were it is common to not renew ships, football before the portal; did not have mass exits of players.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

1.6% of college players make it in the NFL.  I think education is much more important, so pick a school where you can achieve a degree in your desired field.  Too many people around these kids make them think that college is just a pit stop on the way to the pros.

This. I would love to see a study in a few years that compares how many players that stay at a 4-years school once they arrive graduate versus those who transfer. I remember a time when the presidents used to talk about the Student-athletes and focusing on their educations. Those days seems to be fading away.

• Upvote 2

Its interesting to go back and look at our guys that went into the portal to see where they are now.....A lot of them dont have homes yet. 

Justin Booker: No Home

Garnette Burke: Blinn JC

Brian Parrish: UMASS

Chris Thorton: No Home Reported

Greg White: Grambling State

Cam Johnson: UCLA

Bryce English: No Home Reported

Tre Siggers: SMU

Jaxon Gibbs: Butler CC but looks to be back on the market

Austin Ogunmakin:Liberty

Jason Bean: Kansas

Asher Frow: Kent State

Anterrious Gray: South Alabama

Jacob Farrell: SFA

Jordan Nichols: Nothing Reported

Jimmy Walker: Nothing Reported

Upton Stout: WKU

Davontae McCrae: Nothing Reported 

Cinque Williams: Nothing Reported

Jordan Rucker: Just hit today so nothing yet

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Is he going as a Grad transfer? Didn't he already transfer once?

We offered Rucker back in March 2017 as his first offer. Feeling the need to entertain the residents of West Lafayette, Indiana was more important for him, Rucker chose the allure of Purdue over staying in Denton where his family and friends could be there for all his games.

Rucker signed and enrolled with Purdue but for whatever reason never developed his career there. He then transferred to where he should have been all along but it was too late to resurrect his career as too many younger players with compatible talent levels had already passed him on the depth charts.

Now Rucker is again in the transfer portal trying to find some place to play. I hope for the best for him.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This. I would love to see a study in a few years that compares how many players that stay at a 4-years school once they arrive graduate versus those who transfer. I remember a time when the presidents used to talk about the Student-athletes and focusing on their educations. Those days seems to be fading away.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

When a player enters the portal prior to the bowl game, is it safe to assume he will not travel with the team to the bowl game ?

Also, once a player enters the portal, are all tied with the previous or original school severed ?  

GO MEAN GREEN

This depends on the school. I believe Ruder was allowed to use the NC facilities until he left. As far as scholarships, I believe it will stop at the end of the current semester, unless the school allows them to finish the year. 

23 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Sorry if this was already posted

Sounds like a serious market correction....

If the numbers above are to be believed, that means that every FBS school across the country is averaging almost 6 players in the transfer portal... 

What is the actual count of current UNT players in the portal? Additionally, i think a smart college program would allow and encourage their athletes to continue to use the facilities, at the end of the day it has no harm against your program and keeps a player in shape who is technically still under scholarship

29 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Sounds like a serious market correction....

If the numbers above are to be believed, that means that every FBS school across the country is averaging almost 6 players in the transfer portal... 

What is the actual count of current UNT players in the portal? Additionally, i think a smart college program would allow and encourage their athletes to continue to use the facilities, at the end of the day it has no harm against your program and keeps a player in shape who is technically still under scholarship

As of now, at least on 247 - 4 out / 3 in

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24114

image.png.8e0d223eef04c5904574a0bebffd5728.png

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

AAAAANNNDD another one

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.01.31 PM.png

Guess we probably end up with 8-10 players in the portal. A new way of life, even with successful programs. Houston currently has 8 players in the portal. Indiana has 18

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Guess we probably end up with 8-10 players in the portal. A new way of life, even with successful programs. Houston currently has 8 players in the portal. Indiana has 18

My understanding of the portal it's a "one-time only" transfer allowance without sitting out a year.  Why not shop and sign more Freshman and Sophs from the portal?  Like JC players, they would have more maturity and be adapted already to the college level, but they can't portal out on you again!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NT80 said:

My understanding of the portal it's a "one-time only" transfer allowance without sitting out a year.  Why not shop and sign more Freshman and Sophs from the portal?  Like JC players, they would have more maturity and be adapted already to the college level, but they can't portal out on you again!

Agree. JC's would still have the ability to use the portal, but perhaps less likely. I would think we will see more and more from the portal, but still hope we sign at least 10 HS players each year

13 minutes ago, NT80 said:

@BillySee58 @TheReal_jayD Can a player use the one-time transfer, and then move again without sitting as a Grad Transfer?

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

@BillySee58 @TheReal_jayD Can a player use the one-time transfer, and then move again without sitting as a Grad Transfer?

I assumed the answer was going to be yes they can, but the last time I read something it sounded like you only get it once a career, regardless of if your 2nd transfer is as an undergrad or grad transfer. Which seems counterintuitive because I know players were allowed to grad transfer multiple times without having to sit out. Jeremy Combs grad transferring to LSU then Texas Southern the next year without sitting out comes to mind.

• Thanks 1