Ryan named Presenting Sponsor of Frisco Football Classic

Jonnyeagle

And, prior to taking on the Baker Hotel in Mineral wells, Brit Ryan headed the renovations of the Settles Hotel in Big Spring.  The Settles is one of those grand old hotels like the Baker.  I envy his ability to see what a project can be rather than what it appears to be.

So is the correct name of our bowl game the FRISCO BOWL CLASSIC presented by RYAN     ?

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

And, prior to taking on the Baker Hotel in Mineral wells, Brit Ryan headed the renovations of the Settles Hotel in Big Spring.  The Settles is one of those grand old hotels like the Baker.  I envy his ability to see what a project can be rather than what it appears to be.

So is the correct name of our bowl game the FRISCO BOWL CLASSIC presented by RYAN     ?

GO MEAN GREEN

Yep.  Living out this way, I need to stop in and see The Hotel Settles.  I know many people that have stayed there for a weekend "away" and have raved about it.  There isn't much to do in Big Spring outside of that hotel, but Ryan grew up in Big Spring so it was important to him.  The portrait at the top of the grand staircase is of his mother.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/up-with-the-old-hotel/

HOTEL SETTLES - Updated 2021 Prices & Reviews (Big Spring, TX) - Tripadvisor

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The Baker has a long, long way to go before it is ready to go.

In the mid 1980’s my “2 degrees” from TAMU boss & I squeezed thru a loosely chained door to the Baker Hotel because we wanted to see how it looked.  We both knew its history from the post-Great Gatsby era.  Well, it  was in shambles & the Brazos Ball Room where Big Bands like Tommy Dorsey had  played was equally in shambles.  (No, we saw no ghosts on that day). 

An old timer in Weatherford told me as a kid he was a Baker Hotel bell hop & I immediately thought of the kid in “The Shining”(no, take it back I meant the kid in the lobby in Christopher Reeves/Jane Seymour’s “Somewhere In Time” which was filmed at Michigan’s Grand Hotel). 

Anyway the local old timer told me how one day he took Doris Day’s luggage to her Baker room & then said “that was the ugliest woman I ever saw plus she didn’t even tip me.” 😊

Some of the famous names to appear on the Baker Hotel guest list include Judy Garland, Clark Gable, the Three Stooges, Lyndon Johnson and Lady Bird, Roy Rogers, Will Rogers, Marlene Dietrich, Mary Martin, General Pershing, Dorothy Lamour, Sammy Kaye, Jack Dempsey, Helen Keller, and Ronald Reagan.

Note:  I think they left Jimmy Stewart & Doris Day off the above list. 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

I drive to Mineral Wells from time to time to check on the Baker.  There is a man there that owns a water company called Crazy Water.  He told me the majority of work being done at the 
Baker is on the inside.  The first and second story will be used for hotel check=in and for retail.  The middle few floors will be used for the hotel function and the top  will be available as condominiums.   The project was to take 2 years and millions of dollars.  

I've never met B ret Ryan but I look foward to visiting with him and talk hotel renovation.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Thanks 3

On 12/15/2021 at 10:58 AM, rcade said:

G. Brint Ryan is a UNT alumnus who received bachelor's and master's degrees in accounting with an emphasis in taxation. He's donated $1 million to the athletic department and $30 million to create a business school -- the largest donation in school history.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2019/02/04/university-of-north-texas-gets-biggest-gift-ever.html

Dammit. I knew I should have majored in accounting with an emphasis on taxation.

He didn't create the business school. He donated a ton of money to get it named after him.

• Upvote 2