UNT NIL

DentonStang

Since the recent announcement on NIL at SMU I've been cruising other boards looking at what their teams are doing for comparison. Some are very public, others are very quiet. I haven't seen much on what is being done at UNT on here. Who's in the know?

SMU article I referenced:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2021/12/14/smu-alumni-group-to-contribute-over-1-million-annually-to-footballs-nil-program/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

32 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Since the recent announcement on NIL at SMU I've been cruising other boards looking at what their teams are doing for comparison. Some are very public, others are very quiet. I haven't seen much on what is being done at UNT on here. Who's in the know?

SMU article I referenced:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2021/12/14/smu-alumni-group-to-contribute-over-1-million-annually-to-footballs-nil-program/

Count me in for 50 bucks annually 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I’ll have to defer to those more established in their lives

8BA63CBB-A8F8-4BDE-BFDA-25C9FE886869.jpeg

Ah, you just grow older with a wife and kids that take all of your money.  Not much difference except at your age you only have to worry about you.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

We don’t ever fund the MGSF enough to finance our scholarships and fans regularly complain about season ticket and bowl game prices. I don’t see us pulling a SMUt.

This.

Id imagine that SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, and Rice will look pretty good with this NIL stuff. Maybe Temple and Memphis, too…

The rest of us in the AAC are going to be playing a different recruiting game than those listed above will be.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, 97and03 said:

We don’t ever fund the MGSF enough to finance our scholarships and fans regularly complain about season ticket and bowl game prices. I don’t see us pulling a SMUt.

This is chicken before egg observation.  There aren’t enough fans coming to the games to fund the MGSF even if all of them contributed to the fund.  Those fans don’t come because generally we are perceived as loser program Mean Joe Green played for 50 years ago when they were good.  The needle doesn’t move here until they win consistently and occasionally beat bigger brand schools when we get the opportunity.   So for the few that do contribute to MGSF considering building a NIL package that could help us sign a Mason Fine 2.0.  Getting that guy and having 3 or more consecutive seasons of 8-4 or better would to wonders here.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

The $1m is just the seed money that's already been raised.  The expectation and goal is to get to $4-5m annually from the top 100 or so SMU boosters and then supplemented with an additional $500k-$1m from a more grassroots group (which I'm involved in at $100/month).

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This.

Id imagine that SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, and Rice will look pretty good with this NIL stuff. Maybe Temple and Memphis, too…

The rest of us in the AAC are going to be playing a different recruiting game than those listed above will be.

Hmm let's see I can go with a school that offers more diversity or one that is paying me $50 grand a year? Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

Edited by Tom McKrackin
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

People need to stop calling Pay-for-Play, NIL. This was put together to satisfy the courts and politicians and was left with very little rules. I am guessing the NCAA is using BYU and Miami as test cases to see if there is anyway to control this. 

There's no way that will happen for them. The Supreme Court already said that the NCAA has no ability whatsoever to stop a player from getting NIL payments. So what BYU, Miami, SMU, and Texas have done is here to stay. Its either going to be cleaner, where the funds come directly from the AD, or its gonna be less transparent, where it comes from boosters who create charities to receive donations to then buy players.

This day had to come--to make the NFL-lite and NBA-lite programs break off on their own. You can be made about this as a UNT fan, but we didn't even try to care about sports beyond half-assing it until 2011 when we moved to Apogee and began paying coaches more than a pittance. By that time, anyone who had already been in the AAC and above had already been caring and developing a fanbase for decades. 

What I want is for UNT to be able to contend for a national championship in football and basketball. UNT football has never had a chance for the obvious reasons. While basketball can still happen, just because of the nature of the Dance, it will be harder and harder for a place like us that doesn't have many fans that give back to the program.  We are thrilled when we get attendance at Apogee at over 20k in real butts in seats...even worse, we are thrilled when we have over 3k in attendance at The Super Pit for a team that has actually been winning. And then we add in the MGSF being extremely low, where we know for a fact that about 2% of the alumni give back, there's no NIL money here, at least not anywhere close to what the AAC Privates are gonna payout if they care to play, which SMU and Tulane do. And places like Memphis, where Fedex basically subsidizes their program or Wichita State, who has the Koch Brothers as their backers, the rest of us are going to be facing a huge uphill battle. This isn't just us--UTSA, UAB, Charlotte, and FAU are gonna deal with this too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

On 12/16/2021 at 2:21 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

People need to stop calling Pay-for-Play, NIL. This was put together to satisfy the courts and politicians and was left with very little rules. I am guessing the NCAA is using BYU and Miami as test cases to see if there is anyway to control this. 

Good luck with that suggestion until the NCAA does something about it. The NCAA is a toothless panther and it was a bandaid more than a governoring organization for revenue generating sports.  This points to the biggest weakness of college footbball as a product —- it is an every man for himself cut throat culture off the field.  The bigger brands hoard money and opportunities to make money at the expense of the overall product.  For instance take the playoffs and bowl games.  They could have easily kept the old bowl system and pick the 2 or 4 best bowl winners afterwards to play in a playoff.  How do you measure a conference’s relative strength when most P5 schools haven’t played a non-confernce team since late October? (The SEC doesn’t look that good this year if they go less than 0.500 in bowl games without Alabama & Georgia).   Bowl games that are exclusively non-conference games.  maybe?   That would have made more bowl games of national championship insterest and validation of any undefeated G5 team’s bid for a national champioship.  This never was consider because the bigger brands feared losing out on revenue.

The fascade of FBS not being the Wild Wild West has just been removed for everyone to see.

To fix the NIL system and a host of other issues college football needs a governoring organization that has teeth.  Like I said Good Luck with that because powerful people don’t like giving up power unless they are getting a huge amount of money that they wouldn’t get otherwise.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

This might be the death of college football in the world below p-5.    Maybe that is what they want, that way maybe you will buy that Long Whore t-shirt.   Maybe other schools drop football and concentrate on basketball.  the future does not look bright for college sports unless you are one the chosen schools.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 12/16/2021 at 2:21 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

It's 100 pay for play. Wake up. 

On 12/20/2021 at 7:01 AM, Professor Lambeau said:

Thanks for sharing. It is pretty disgusting how blatantly UTexas disregards their own NIL faq.

Does the Texas NIL law mean that a donor or fan of The University of Texas may provide me with any amount of compensation at any time as long as it is in exchange for the use of my NIL?
No. There are some restrictions. Of those restrictions, the most significant prohibit student-athletes (SAs) from profiting from their NIL when they are engaged in official team activities and prohibit receiving compensation for their NIL that is based on:
• The SA’s enrollment or attendance at The University of Texas, or
• The SA’s athletic performance at The University of Texas.

They have specifically set up funds to compensate players based on their attendance at UTexas. It is essentially the PonyExcess all over again.

Edited by Cr1028

24 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Thanks for sharing. It is pretty disgusting how blatantly UTexas disregards their own NIL faq.

Does the Texas NIL law mean that a donor or fan of The University of Texas may provide me with any amount of compensation at any time as long as it is in exchange for the use of my NIL?
No. There are some restrictions. Of those restrictions, the most significant prohibit student-athletes (SAs) from profiting from their NIL when they are engaged in official team activities and prohibit receiving compensation for their NIL that is based on:
• The SA’s enrollment or attendance at The University of Texas, or
• The SA’s athletic performance at The University of Texas.

They have specifically set up funds to compensate players based on their attendance at UTexas. It is essentially the PonyExcess all over again.

I've said this for a couple of years now--SMU was way ahead of its time (by 40 years). If this was 1981 instead of 2021, they'd be a national juggernaut.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1