Official 2022 North Texas Signing Day Thread

TheReal_jayD

How bad is this class going to hurt us down the road?  Looking at our team the last couple of years having such a small senior/junior class making an impact has been one of our biggest issues.  

I understand we were limited by the extra covid year plus having such a small senior class made it so we barely had any spots to fill, but gotta think 3+ years down the road that this class will cause similar issues again.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

How bad is this class going to hurt us down the road?  Looking at our team the last couple of years having such a small senior/junior class making an impact has been one of our biggest issues.  

I understand we were limited by the extra covid year plus having such a small senior class made it so we barely had any spots to fill, but gotta think 3+ years down the road that this class will cause similar issues again.

NT is going to sign a lot more players. 12 to 14 per Littrell.  

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

There are still several spots left. I would also think that by next season there will be an exception made to allow schools to go above 25 to fill players lost to the portal. My bigger fear is the P5's decide they want more than 85/25 and push for additional limits.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

NT is going to sign a lot more players. 12 to 14 per Littrell.  

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

There are still several spots left. I would also think that by next season there will be an exception made to allow schools to go above 25 to fill players lost to the portal. My bigger fear is the P5's decide they want more than 85/25 and push for additional limits.

I agree that we will sign more, but in today's recruiting world most of the top players are locked up by early signing day so I don't feel super confident about adding many highly valued players in the next 2 months.  Even with 10 or so more added it's hard to imagine this class being anywhere close to the quality we've seen the last 3 classes. Let's just hope for some diamonds in the rough who can outplay their ratings to go along with the higher rated guys.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

I agree that we will sign more, but in today's recruiting world most of the top players are locked up by early signing day so I don't feel super confident about adding many highly valued players in the next 2 months.  Even with 10 or so more added it's hard to imagine this class being anywhere close to the quality we've seen the last 3 classes. Let's just hope for some diamonds in the rough who can outplay their ratings to go along with the higher rated guys.

Apparently a lot of coaches don't think so, most have left a lot of spots for additional scholarships.  

Just think of how far down the number of high school players signed are, not because there is not as many as a normal year.  

There are still more players that are going to jump into the terminal, ether by choice or pushed to move on.

My guess is the second wave of recruiting will be as good or better than the first. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT18Grad said:

There are so many players that have entered the transfer portal. Our coaches are evaluating the needs and who can fill that need. Then it will be of those players targeted, how many can be convinced to sign with us. 
What is left, I am sure will be filled by high schoolers.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

DENTON, Texas – Five new additions signed to play for UNT Football and join the program as members of the Class of 2022, head coach Seth Littrell announced Wednesday.

"We are excited to add some really talented guys to our roster," Littrell said. "We feel like we were able to fill some needs today and added depth. We are far from finished at this point. Like I said in December, we still have a few spots available and will be aggressive in adding the right players that fit our program through the transfer portal over the next few months."

All five of the signees hail from the state of Texas, including three from the DFW area and two from metro Houston. Four of the signees are high school players, along with one junior college transfer.

Wednesday's signees feature two defensive backs, two offensive linemen and a defensive lineman.

UNT previously signed 13 high school players and transfers during the December window with nine joining the roster for Spring 2022. The Mean Green open spring practice on Friday, March 4.

Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Class Hometown/Previous
Moh Bilitiy DB 6-2 183 Fr.-HS Dallas, TX/North Dallas HS
Samora Ezekiel OL 6-5 285 Fr.-HS Fort Worth, TX/Paschal HS
Kaghen Roach DL 6-5 265 So.-JC Celina, TX/Blinn College
Howard Sampson OL 6-7 325 Fr.-HS Humble, TX/HS
Patrick Smith DB 5-9 178 Fr.-HS Sugar Land, TX/Clements HS

SIGNEE BIOS

Moh Bility
DB, 6-2, 183
Dallas, Texas/North Dallas HS

High School: Starred at North Dallas High School for coach Bobby Estes … first team all-district as a junior and senior … also ran track … won district championship in 110m hurdles in 2021 … rated three stars by 247 Sports … No. 245 in Texas … rated three stars by Dave Campbell's Texas Football … as a junior, helped North Dallas High to first playoff appearance since 1952 … had 21 tackles, 2.0 TFL and three interceptions in 2020 … first Division I signee from high school in nearly 20 years … picked UNT over Rice

Samora Ezekiel
OL, 6-5, 285
Fort Worth, Texas/Paschal HS

High School: Played at Paschal High School for coach John Killough … first team All-District honoree at tackle … more than 30 pancakes during his senior season … named second team all-district following his junior season … picked UNT over Tulsa

Kaghen Roach
DL, 6-5, 265
Celina, TX/Blinn College

Prior to UNT: Played one season at Blinn College in Brenham, Texas for coach Ryan Mahon … finished with 32 tackles, 14.0 TFL and 6.5 sacks … 2021 SWJCFC All-Conference pick … spent the 2020 season at Army … played the 2019 season at Fork Union Military Academy ... prepped at Celina High School for coach Bill Elliott … helped team to 7-5 record as a senior … finished senior season with 66 tackles, 16 hurries, 22 tackles for loss, one forced fumble, two forced fumble recoveries, 11.5 sacks and three interceptions … first team all-area selection … honorable mention all-state … also participated in track and field … rated three stars by 247 Sports out of high school … chose UNT over UTEP and TCU

Howard Sampson
OL, 6-7, 325
Humble, TX/HS

Prior to UNT: Played at Humble High School for coach Marcus Schulz … named second team All-District … helped team to 11 wins as a sophomore … chose UNT over Texas State and Texas Tech

Patrick Smith
DB, 5-9, 178
Sugar Land, TX/Clements HS

High School: Prepped at Fort Bend Clements High School in Sugar Land, Texas for coach Bobby Darnell … Helped team to 7-4 record in 2021 … Led team to first playoff appearance since 2007 … Named Texas District 20-6A Offensive MVP as a senior … Selected first-team all-district selection at both WR and S … Had 62 tackles with seven pass breakups, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and two interceptions … Added two kick return touchdowns … On offense, had 49 receptions for 890 yards and 10 touchdowns … had more than 1,300 all-purpose yards and 13 total touchdowns … Had 42 tackles and two interceptions as a junior … rated three stars by Dave Campbell's Texas Football … earned three-star rating from ESPN … No. 229 in Texas … picked UNT over San Diego State, Air Force and Army

• Thanks 1

Per Littrell in the release:

"...we still have a few spots available and will be aggressive in adding the right players that fit our program through the transfer portal over the next few months."

So I guess this means we're done with High School and JUCO recruiting for the 2022 class.   Not sure how many guys we grayshirted/blueshirted with last year that count against this year's class, but I think @TheReal_jayDsaid prior to today's 5 signings, we had 9 scholarships to play with... so I would guess 4 more transfer portal guys?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Per Littrell in the release:

So I guess this means we're done with High School and JUCO recruiting for the 2022 class.   Not sure how many guys we grayshirted/blueshirted with last year that count against this year's class, but I think @TheReal_jayDsaid prior to today's 5 signings, we had 9 scholarships to play with... so I would guess 4 more transfer portal guys?

Sounds consistent with what he said in December. There appears to be some good players still looking for a place to play. SL has had some success with later signees. Hope UNT can pick up some players that Can jump in and contribute right away!

• Upvote 3

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

So does recruiting come to complete halt while we wait for the new head coach or the remaining continue to recruit?   I don't how this works.

I would guess the staff is working to hold on to our current recruits only.  The new HC will determine what direction to go when he is named.

• 2 weeks later...