What’s it gonna take?

untjim1995

Watching the Memphis game last night, I was struck by the energy of the stadium and how full it was. I’m completely sold on building a smaller stadium that we can sell out easier. Biggest thing right now would just be getting students in the door. When you’re 18, it can be kinda daunting to go to new things if you don’t know anything about it/have zero experience. Just getting students there once, they’d be much more inclined to go through the season.

• Upvote 3

I like how the WBB invited DISD students and then the MBB team walked around signing autographs during the game.  There was a picture on Twitter after last night's game of Perry and a young boy that the kids Mom took.  I know it isn't the long term answer, but you get these kids excited and they pester their parents to go.

Cool update.  A mom tweeted out that her 5th grade son invited Tylor Perry to play basketball recess at his school.  Perry showed up the next day and she posted a picture of Tylor with all these kids on the outdoor courts.  This is how you get Denton involved.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Big Z said:

1.  Change the Culture around Denton. Too many liberals around town and on the square. 

2. Have to offer free food and drinks at games for students. 

3. Need to get on board more in engaging with the younger crowd through social media especially YouTube. I’ve seen videos of basketball youtubers that go to random parks to play pickup throughout the U.S. that draw louder crowds than at the Pit. 

4. Give lots of opportunity to students for them to win money, tuition and prizes. And not a just T-Shirt…that’s old news. Stuff like iPhone 13s, PS5 etc. 

5. Realize that you are competing with all of DFW as far as entertainment and sporting events. Such as concert events, pro sports, Uptown, Deep Ellum,Collin County and Fort Worth bars. Applies to all current students and alumni on to pick out their weekend plans….this isn’t Iowa where there isn’t much to do. We have it all here in DFW. 

6. Streaming - People can watch the games on their phone at any place. 

So you are going to define basketball attendance by liberal vs conservative? Didn't I see you on TV inside the White House wearing a buffalo head ?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

23 hours ago, Big Z said:

1.  Change the Culture around Denton. Too many liberals around town and on the square. 

2. Have to offer free food and drinks at games for students. 

3. Need to get on board more in engaging with the younger crowd through social media especially YouTube. I’ve seen videos of basketball youtubers that go to random parks to play pickup throughout the U.S. that draw louder crowds than at the Pit. 

4. Give lots of opportunity to students for them to win money, tuition and prizes. And not a just T-Shirt…that’s old news. Stuff like iPhone 13s, PS5 etc. 

5. Realize that you are competing with all of DFW as far as entertainment and sporting events. Such as concert events, pro sports, Uptown, Deep Ellum,Collin County and Fort Worth bars. Applies to all current students and alumni on to pick out their weekend plans….this isn’t Iowa where there isn’t much to do. We have it all here in DFW. 

6. Streaming - People can watch the games on their phone at any place. 

Blaming "liberals" is so engrained in your DNA it's the first thing you list for improving attendance for a G5 basketball program LMAO. Are they also the reason you don't make 10 million dollars a year and date a supermodel? Do you really drive through the Denton square pissed off bitterly judging the people walking around?????

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I like how the WBB invited DISD students and then the MBB team walked around signing autographs during the game.  There was a picture on Twitter after last night's game of Perry and a young boy that the kids Mom took.  I know it isn't the long term answer, but you get these kids excited and they pester their parents to go.

Cool update.  A mom tweeted out that her 5th grade son invited Tylor Perry to play basketball recess at his school.  Perry showed up the next day and she posted a picture of Tylor with all these kids on the outdoor courts.  This is how you get Denton involved.

That’s so cool for Tylor to take the time to do that. Something the kid will never forget. When I was 8 or 9 Ladarrin McLane gave me his receiver gloves after the last game of a football season. I still have those 25 years or so later. 

• Upvote 3

when I was in school (not to long ago) you went to games not only to watch but to socialize.  Just about every student group would be there (greeks, rotc, etc.) and they were involved with activities when ever there would be a stoppage in the game.  Now it seems young people would rather socialize in the metaverse, video chat, or play on their phones instead of socializing in the real world.      

• Upvote 1

Just now, MrAlien said:

when I was in school (not to long ago) you went to games not only to watch but to socialize.  Just about every student group would be there (greeks, rotc, etc.) and they were involved with activities when ever there would be a stoppage in the game.  Now it seems young people would rather socialize in the metaverse, video chat, or play on their phones instead of socializing in the real world.      

I agree there may be some generational factors at play as well, that are exacerbated by our culture of general apathy. Whenever talking about younger generations though it always feels like borderline “old man yelling at clouds” territory. (I’m in my early 30s). 

• Eye Roll 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:57 AM, untjim1995 said:

We just won the CUSA Championship, beat a ranked team in their home state in the NCAA Tournament, kept our coach, and we have still been winning.

And so few care. If I’m Grant McCasland, I hit the door running as soon as any offer comes around. We play in a cavernous arena, in front of a few thousand at most, and we can’t even get 100 people to a game 45 minutes away.

It just boggles my mind at how much apathy and loathing of UNT sports exists in Denton. The HS teams get awesome support. The P5 teams get lots of support. And we can’t get 100 people to a game in the heart of Ft Worth…

I agree with this 100 percent. People have always said that we have to win consistently to get people to come out. We have been winning for now the third year straight and just beat a WSU team on their home court where only like three OOC teams have done that in the last decade and people still don't come out. Hopefully it's just because football is still going on. Once the bowl game is over and students come back, the pit should be packed to support this team. If not, people should stop saying they will come if we win consistently because obviously that will not true.

• Upvote 2