Final QB ratings for CUSA

El Paso Eagle

52 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

It is surprising that we are going bowling after beating a bowl team and Conf champions. GMG

Has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I'm asking if anyone is really surprised Aune had one of the worst Quarterback ratings in the conference.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I'm asking if anyone is really surprised Aune had one of the worst Quarterback ratings in the conference.

No not surprised. If you look at his numbers would you of guessed that his team is going bowling? That is my surprise!

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 3

I suggest everyone follow and read the actual link and NOT just look at the chart. I was wondering how Zappe could have such a terrible quarterback rating. Reading the article, it appears this isn't the standard quarterback rating system that's been used for decades. The authors of the article didn't like the results they got from that system because in their view it ranked Johnnie Manzel too high. So, the authors reworked all of the analysis until they got their desired result. 

Below is a link to standard quarterback rating this year for the top 100 quarterbacks. Zappe comes in at #7 overall with 167.4. The #1 spot at 207.9 is Grayson McCall of Coastal Carolina - I'm sure the ESPN analysis's hated that result and had to change the numbers until he was much lower. #2 is CJ Stroud of Ohio State at 182.2

Folks can put whatever stock they want in an article. But, personally, I don't like statistics at start with a desired result and rework the numbers until that result happens. 

Here are the normal, non-altered quarterback ratings for the top 100 QBs in 2021. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/qb-rating-ncaa 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

I suggest everyone follow and read the actual link and NOT just look at the chart. I was wondering how Zappe could have such a terrible quarterback rating. Reading the article, it appears this isn't the standard quarterback rating system that's been used for decades. The authors of the article didn't like the results they got from that system because in their view it ranked Johnnie Manzel too high. So, the authors reworked all of the analysis until they got their desired result. 

Below is a link to standard quarterback rating this year for the top 100 quarterbacks. Zappe comes in at #7 overall with 167.4. The #1 spot at 207.9 is Grayson McCall of Coastal Carolina - I'm sure the ESPN analysis's hated that result and had to change the numbers until he was much lower. #2 is CJ Stroud of Ohio State at 182.2

Folks can put whatever stock they want in an article. But, personally, I don't like statistics at start with a desired result and rework the numbers until that result happens. 

Here are the normal, non-altered quarterback ratings for the top 100 QBs in 2021. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/qb-rating-ncaa 

So no Aune in the Top 100? So bad that he was worse than what looks like a dual QB system at Troy?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

I think the QBR rating is a good indication of meaningful performance. No system is perfect, but it gives more credit to stats that are gained in critical times and discounts stats earned in no pressure situations and when coaches leaver their players in to pad their stats. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

it gives more credit to stats that are gained in critical times and discounts stats earned in no pressure situations and when coaches leaver their players in to pad their stats. 

I understand and that might make sense to you.

But for me all of that is completely subjective to the whims of reporters with known biases against anyone from a G5 school. Personally, I prefer actual math when studying stats. 

In any case, the reporters accomplished one goal which was to write something at least someone controversial and get people to click and look and thus be exposed to the ads! 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, VideoEagle said:

I understand and that might make sense to you.

But for me all of that is completely subjective to the whims of reporters with known biases against anyone from a G5 school. Personally, I prefer actual math when studying stats. 

In any case, the reporters accomplished one goal which was to write something at least someone controversial and get people to click and look and thus be exposed to the ads! 

Think it's been around since 2010, so it's probably not a target against G5's. I like the way it tries to discount "junk" yards that have no meaning.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, ADLER said:

Thank you Austin for helping to guide this team to a bowl game.

Just cause you drive the wrong way down a 1 way street, blindfolded, and still arrive at your destination doesn't exactly mean you succeeded or guided a team.

At best he stumbled across the finish line after being pushed by the sheer size of the defenses billiard balls.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

Just cause you drive the wrong way down a 1 way street, blindfolded, and still arrive at your destination doesn't exactly mean you succeeded or guided a team.

At best he stumbled across the finish line after being pushed by the sheer size of the defenses billiard balls.

Don't forget this guy, who the entire team rode to 6-6:
61a69ae2abcd7.image.jpg

• Upvote 4

• 3 months later...